Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Troy @ FAU: Tale of the tape

Here is the most telling tale…we must win, but is it this game in all reality a repeat of last years match up with us needing to to pull a legitimate upset in order to win it?

The Owls are seventh in the Sun Belt in scoring offense (15.0 ppg), the Trojans are third (32.5). The Owls are fourth in total offense (342.0 ypg), the Trojans are third (441). The Owls are sixth in scoring defense (30.8 ppg), the Trojans are tied for third (25.0). The Owls are fifth in total defense (419.2 ypg), the Trojans are first (331.2).

- Tom D'Angelo, PBP.

It's either bring the "A" game, or bust on this one IMO.
Back to the top

Re: Troy @ FAU: Tale of the tape

Granted the Trojan values are skewed by a game blowout of an FCS opponent

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Granted the Trojan values are skewed by a game blowout of an FCS opponent

Absolutely…

As is ours with 49 TP coming in one game versus UAB…

Pull it and we average 6.75 PPG…

Dont want to go there! ;D
Back to the top

i could be wrong, but i think FAU is #1 in the country for most air miles thus far this season with more than 4500.

it will be good to be home…it will give us the edge.

who knows more than the head coach?
Back to the top

Troy @ FAU: Tale of the tape

knowITowl said

i could be wrong, but i think FAU is #1 in the country for most air miles thus far this season with more than 4500.

it will be good to be home…it will give us the edge.

Maybe thus far, but they are fourth overall, not including Bowl games later in the season. FIU ranks third, Hawai'i first (by nature) and I don't remember who is second. I wanna say Fresno St.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

The one stat that really jumps out at me is the fact that we have moved the ball but have not scored. We are 4th in total offense even with games against some very good non-conf opponents, yet we are 7th in scoring offense.

I have been saying it for a while now and I will repeat it here. We are moving the ball very well. We just need to convert long drives into points and the whole complexion of this season could change in a hurry.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

The one stat that really jumps out at me is the fact that we have moved the ball but have not scored. We are 4th in total offense even with games against some very good non-conf opponents, yet we are 7th in scoring offense.

I have been saying it for a while now and I will repeat it here. We are moving the ball very well. We just need to convert long drives into points and the whole complexion of this season could change in a hurry.

GO OWLS!!!

I can think of 17 points we left on the field in a previous game and 7 in a game that was decided by a hail mary :(
Back to the top

Article from ESPN

FAU's Schnellenberger expects better effort against Troy

October 7, 2008 11:07 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger knows how important tonight's game against Troy is to the Owls survival in the Sun Belt Conference.

After a heartbreaking last-second loss to Middle Tennessee last week, the Owls are starting to get squeezed out of the race to the Sun Belt championship.

"If we lose another one it will be very difficult for us to repeat as conference champions," Schnellenberger said during his press conference Monday. "We better play down to the last play because they, like Middle Tennessee, have the ability to win with one play."

Middle Tennessee quarterback Joe Craddock threw up a Hail Mary with no time remaining that was caught in the end zone by receiver Malcolm Beyah. The Blue Raiders kicked the extra point for the 14-13 win.

Florida Atlantic is 1-4 this season and 0-1 in conference play, making them tied for second-to-last place in the Sun Belt with Louisiana-Monroe and just ahead of winless North Texas. It's an unfamiliar position considering the Owls won the league last season and were the preseason pick by the coaches to win it again this year. But the Owls opened the season with three BCS teams – all losses – and have yet to recover.

It will be an uphill battle this week against a 2-2 Troy team that's coming off a bye and has gained some confidence in loses against ranked foes Ohio State and Oklahoma State.

There also are some hard feelings between these teams after a 38-32 FAU win at the end of last season gave the Owls the Sun Belt title and a bowl berth. Troy spent bowl season watching on TV.

Schnellenberger said he expects his team to play a better game than it did against Middle Tennessee last week. The Owls had four turnovers in the loss.

"It looks like we are both evenly matched going into this game," Schnellenberger said of Troy. "They have an advantage statistically, but I think we can play better and this is the time for us to play our best game."

Florida Atlantic Owls, Troy Trojans

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

good game fellas.  i wish you hadn't hurt our QB…again, but a win helps to soften that blow.  now we're stuck with our two non-mobile QB's.  luckily we have FIU and UNT next, give us time to get them ready. 

"This is Troy's conference. We just play in it. There are some people who claim that no one can separate themselves in the SBC on talent alone. They are wrong." - CajunNation
Back to the top
Control functions: