Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Troy's Band

The ONLY thing I enjoyed about last night's football game (other than my tasty sandwich from Publix) was the Troy band. I remember reading on here that it was only the pep band that was traveling and not the whole squad and I've gotta say, they are nasty! We kept theorizing on why they were SO much louder than our band, were they mic'd? Was there a soundtrack playing along with them through the PA? Or are they just that loud? Holy cow were they good. I'm not really into "band" stuff but I've gotta say, hat's off to the Troy band, freaking awesome. I'm gonna see if they will play my wedding (if that ever happens!) :)
Back to the top

Re: Troy's Band

TeamBeer said

The ONLY thing I enjoyed about last night's football game (other than my tasty sandwich from Publix) was the Troy band. I remember reading on here that it was only the pep band that was traveling and not the whole squad and I've gotta say, they are nasty! We kept theorizing on why they were SO much louder than our band, were they mic'd? Was there a soundtrack playing along with them through the PA? Or are they just that loud? Holy cow were they good. I'm not really into "band" stuff but I've gotta say, hat's off to the Troy band, freaking awesome. I'm gonna see if they will play my wedding (if that ever happens!) :)

Agree the Troy Pep band was great.

I dont know why they were louder then ours. Perhpas there is a technical reason?

Dmarkey or Tuba, can you guy illuminate us?

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

The Troy "Pep" band was louder because of a number of reasons.

First their pep band had more people in it then our entire band! Just the way it goes when we're trying to build a marching band from scratch. They've been around for a long time.

Second they are used to playing loud and they can play well while being loud! They were not mic'd (well maybe for ESPN, because we were too, but not for the stadium).

The Sound of the South (the name for the Troy band) is a very well known band. They are good and big! Think of them as the FSU band of Alabama. Students go to Troy to be a part of their band.

Someday we will have a full sized band and hopefully people will talk about us that way too. We play and march to our best ability and try to give you, the fans, some entertainment.

AEA
Back to the top

I think their location in the stadium (with wind to their backs) helped their sound.  That and the number of larger horns compared to ours.  We'll get there.
Back to the top

I know why…

Because they had a lot of deep base resonating throughout the stadium and had twice as many Tubas as we did… I counted around ten for them and only 5 for us… half the time our band was split up and weren't even playing as a unit!!!!

I love our band but we need to do better….
Back to the top

Troy's Band

I'm not sure what your talking about "spilt up and not playing as a unit". The people sitting next to us was not more of the FAU band. It was Plantation high school. That may be why you thought we werent playing together.

AEA
Back to the top

At one point I saw half the band in the stands and the other half on the sidelines…

At another point I saw them split between the two sections… did Plantation high school bring some band players?
Back to the top

Ya the Plantation band was sitting next to us and their uniforms somewhat resemble ours.
Back to the top

Plantation High School brought their band. They performed before us during pre-game (if you were there to watch). We go down to the field with about a minute left in the 2nd quarter to get set for halftime. Their band stand in the stands I believe (maybe they moved, I dont know I was getting ready to perform). They had the same colors as us which might have been the confussing part.

AEA
Back to the top

I also like the camraderie between the bands, it's pretty cool too. All of the Troy band members came to the fence to watch the FAU halftime show and were all clapping at the end.
Back to the top
Control functions: