Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

O'Leary under fire for pushing players to hard...

Add topic

This aint gonna go away…

Story
Back to the top

Re: O'Leary under fire for pushing players to hard...

I think I feel bad for O'Leary.  He gets a lot of crap, and I don't think it's justified.  He may be a mean, obnoxoious SOB when he's coaching, but isn't that his job?  I never played ball, but I had plenty of friends who did.  They always told me how when guys fell from exhaustion, or puked from running too hard the coaches got up in their faces and yelled and pushed them to keep going.  If you wanted to quit cause you were too tired, then you didn't play.  Simple as that.  Certain people have the stamina to play football and others don't, that's it.  I noticed that everyone interviewed in that article who complained about O'Leary is a former college player.  The guy who stood up for him was a former NFL player.  The kid who fainted in the story had an unknown medical condition, not O'Leary's fault.  It's Football.

But, FL Owl, your right, this will probably never leave O'Leary alone. I don't think it's right, but thats the way it is.  I'm sure he's resigned to that fact by now.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

They more games they lose the bigger this issue will become.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

duder said

I think I feel bad for O'Leary.  He gets a lot of crap, and I don't think it's justified.  He may be a mean, obnoxoious SOB when he's coaching, but isn't that his job?  I never played ball, but I had plenty of friends who did.  They always told me how when guys fell from exhaustion, or puked from running too hard the coaches got up in their faces and yelled and pushed them to keep going.  If you wanted to quit cause you were too tired, then you didn't play.  Simple as that.  Certain people have the stamina to play football and others don't, that's it.  I noticed that everyone interviewed in that article who complained about O'Leary is a former college player.  The guy who stood up for him was a former NFL player.  The kid who fainted in the story had an unknown medical condition, not O'Leary's fault.  It's Football.

But, FL Owl, your right, this will probably never leave O'Leary alone. I don't think it's right, but thats the way it is.  I'm sure he's resigned to that fact by now.

Ask this McNealy kid, whose career is now over, if he feels bad for O'Leary.  There's no weight trainer in the world who would have made someone do that.  I don't know how anyone can defend something like that.  I've seen what happens when 300 pounds, let alone whatever McNealy was lifting, comes crashing down on someone on a leg press; it's not pretty.  I won't forget the scream.
Back to the top

Schnelley had the one instance with the H20 denial in OKlahoma…

I hear you on the "it runs throughout the ranks of football coaches in general"…but, if that is the case, i'm wondering why it is swarming him only like flies…The death has alot to do with it??
Back to the top

O'Leary under fire for pushing players to hard...

The losses dont help...didnt hear this stuff from them while they were winning...same can be said about the ditch HS crowd here now.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

This aint gonna go away…

Story

Thats a recycled story from Orlando Sentinel.  O'leary's job is as safe as ever, but he is learning if you make fun of reporters and treat like crap they write "oppinion" pieces on you.  It does not help that UCF fans TPed the editors house (Lynn Hoppes) and called him names.

In the end its basicly a war btw UCF Athletics vs Orlando Sentinel, but they say don't start war of words with people who buy ink by the barrel.. UCF is finding out the hard way.

I am surprised with the FAU fb of late; that there was numerous about UCF, obsess much. Anyways good luck with the rest of your season, hopefully you can make a bowl game. 
Back to the top

We arent aloud to talk about other teams? I believe FSU, UM, USF, FIU, and the Gators among many others (ECU for ex) have been talked about here.  Are we supposed to sit around and circle jerk like a bunch of homers? Oh wait thats UCF's job.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

All I know is that an offensive lineman who is missing blocks consistently should get to see what it feels like to be a QB in the pocket. If he quit the team based on that he never should have been playing the game in the first place.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: