Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Do We Even Have a Special Teams Coach?

I know we have had our defensive and offensive woes but it seems like every year our special teams seem to be lacking incredibly. I mean, we've never even run a punt or kick return for a TD. Which I think is impressive, you would think that we'd get lucky at least ONCE! Every year it seems we miss kicks that we should make, our returns are never really that great, especially punts. We never attempt fake punts or fake field goals. I'm not saying we need to do them every game, but in a big game, that could be a HUGE momentum shift. It just doesn't seem like our coaches are even interested in it. I hate UF, but Urban Meyer has made UF's special teams incredible. This is just something that's been on my mind lately.
Back to the top

Re: Do We Even Have a Special Teams Coach?

Do We Even Have a Special Teams Coach?

Coach Kurt Van Valukenberg (aka Van lol) coaches the special teams.
Back to the top

our special teams make huge mistakes......

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

bman8316 said

Coach Kurt Van Valukenberg (aka Van lol) coaches the special teams.

At practices, the kickers are completely autonomous. They kick a couple balls through and then stand around throwing the ball to each other.

It's not anything that could be considered coordinated or coached, at least from what can be seen behind the Oxley.
Back to the top

I agree.  Our special teams have been awful since year 1.  We have also given up many TDs on kickoffs and punts (although not so many recently).  I don't think that Howard is getting the most out of his coaching staff.  These kids don't look prepared.
Back to the top

Special teams have always been bad.  I've always heard the the kickers pretty much just do their own thing at practice, and it is starting to look like that is true.  I'm still blaming our loss to USF last year on kicking/special teams.

But as far as never returning a punt all the way, it is hard to do.  I does happen fairly often, but a lot of little things (read luck) have to come together to make it happen.  I think Tampa Bay (Bucs) just returned their first punt  for a TD last season, so we're not the only ones.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

I think coach Van is one of Howards buddies from way back and Howard is pretty much hands off when it comes to him. Consiquently coach Van is pretty much hands off when it comes to special teams.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

I think coach Van is one of Howards buddies from way back and Howard is pretty much hands off when it comes to him. Consiquently coach Van is pretty much hands off when it comes to special teams.

Sounds about right to me.

What's going to happen is that they're going to go fix special teams play for the next game so we don't complain about it and consequently some other aspect of the game will fall down. The team can't seem to be consistent across the board.
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!

2 things:

1. I don't care who Coach Van is friends with… HE SUCKS… Howard needs to be MORE HANDS on with ALL the coaches this season

2. We could have the best Special Tams in the league but we still can't score any bloody points!!!!

I would like to see a new special teams coach… and new offensive coordinator if not now then next season!!!
Back to the top

This surprises me. You would think a coach with the pedigree that Coach S has would have everything in place for good coaching and that includes special teams.

The whole team looked uncoached in the Troy game. The defense looked better than the offense though. The special teams unfortunately had to be on national TV. Ugh. What funny is Coach S used to be a coach of the least penalized and most disciplined team in the NFL, the Dolphins. Anyone who scored a touch down was forbidden to celebrate. This was YEARS before it became an issue with the NFL. It was a team policy.

I don't know if losing his son Stephen took some fire out of the coach or what. Maybe it is just taking time to get past that. I don't know. Its tough to lose one of your kids. You're not supposed to outlive your kids. But, the other coaches know what they are supposed to do. They don't need to be told. If they aren't doing their job, get someone else.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: