Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Let's talk about us.. the fans

I'm very happy with the student turnout for the Troy game and it was a great atmosphere and I hope they continue to show up more and more to every game. However I do have a problem with some of the students and their behavior. I know I am loud and I am annoying at every game but I don't do any of the things our fans do.

For starters throwing stuff on the field. Now I know it happens at EVERY university but it's childish. If you think you are funny by throwing something on the field…YOU'RE NOT! Then after their QB goes down with an injury I hear people around me cheering as he's limping off the field? That's extremely classless, then when he is on the sideline and they had to call his mom down our fans are still yelling at him or yelling at the Troy players "Hey what happened to your QB, you guys suck!" How about we show the nation who is watching that we have the best fans in the world and applaud him when he gets up, doesn't matter what jersey he has on he's still a kid.

I understand a lot of our fans don't know how football works and I know this has been talked about on this board over and over again but for the love of pete lol PLEASE be quiet when we have the ball. I know you are excited and I know you want us to do well but chanting Let's Go Owls when it's a 3rd and 3 on our side of the field isn't helping them get that TD. Then for some reason I don't even understand when we are on D and the other team has the ball on our side of the field no one says anything, no one is loud. People you have it reversed, Offense = QUIET …….Defense = LOUD!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Let's talk about us.. the fans

I've got another one: when they say "please rise for the national anthem" dont keep chanting 'f*ck troy' until its almost over.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

FAUtuba said

I've got another one: when they say "please rise for the national anthem" dont keep chanting 'f*ck troy' until its almost over.

In defense of the students during the national anthem, I was on the vistor sideline in the section next to the students and the PA system is so bad, I wasn't even aware they were playing the National Anthem until it was over and the band left the field.  You just couldn't hear anything.  Plus, the only reason that the students were chanting was because ESPN turned it's camera toward the student section while they were apparently singing the anthem.

That doesn't excuse the behavior during the anthem, but you couldn't even hear it from where I was sitting.  I don't get why not they just didn't have the band play it and not rely on the sound system at Lockhart?
Back to the top

Jab979 said

I'm very happy with the student turnout for the Troy game and it was a great atmosphere and I hope they continue to show up more and more to every game. However I do have a problem with some of the students and their behavior. I know I am loud and I am annoying at every game but I don't do any of the things our fans do.

For starters throwing stuff on the field. Now I know it happens at EVERY university but it's childish. If you think you are funny by throwing something on the field…YOU'RE NOT! Then after their QB goes down with an injury I hear people around me cheering as he's limping off the field? That's extremely classless, then when he is on the sideline and they had to call his mom down our fans are still yelling at him or yelling at the Troy players "Hey what happened to your QB, you guys suck!" How about we show the nation who is watching that we have the best fans in the world and applaud him when he gets up, doesn't matter what jersey he has on he's still a kid.

I understand a lot of our fans don't know how football works and I know this has been talked about on this board over and over again but for the love of pete lol PLEASE be quiet when we have the ball. I know you are excited and I know you want us to do well but chanting Let's Go Owls when it's a 3rd and 3 on our side of the field isn't helping them get that TD. Then for some reason I don't even understand when we are on D and the other team has the ball on our side of the field no one says anything, no one is loud. People you have it reversed, Offense = QUIET …….Defense = LOUD!

Throughout the years we always get comments on our fans and the students… listen I bring my 7 year old sons to the game but I know it is college and there is going to be some profanity and lewdness… while I agree that tossing crap on the field and cheering after injuries is wrong we have to understand that we are at a college game.

I find that if the students are in their section and we are in the donor/family section it works out fine…

Regarding cheering and noise, I 100% agree with you… I cheer as often as I can but it is hard being the only one cheering on a 3rd down defensive play.. it has gotten better but I guarantee the rest of the games this season will have less cheering…

SOMEONE COME AND HELP ME CHEER - LEFT SIDE OF SECTION 105!!!
Back to the top

Well I am glad that you bring your 7 year old and he doesn't come home with a new vocabulary. I'm 29 and I feel like I'm babysitting when I sit in the student section. I have to constantly yell and tell people HEY! Enough with the language. I usually don't sit in the student section but I did for this game and after seeing what I saw, makes me glad I don't sit there anymore.

The cheerleaders are just as guilty as far as making noise when we are on O! When we are on offense I hear them chanting O-W-L-S LET'S GO OWLS! So then everyone is following along with them. Maybe the cheer leaders or the prowlers on the field can come by when we are on offense with signs that say quiet. and ones that say Make Noise when we are on D. It's the only way I can think of to get them to learn.

I understand we are in college and even at a pro game people throw stuff on the field. It's just makes us look terrible when they have to make an announcement to stop blowing a whistle in stands. I'm all about making noise and trying to distract the other teams but we have excellent fans, lets show everyone else that too, lets show other teams how classy we are not how classes we are.

Back to the top

Let's talk about us.. the fans

Jab979 said

The cheerleaders are just as guilty as far as making noise when we are on O! When we are on offense I hear them chanting O-W-L-S LET'S GO OWLS! So then everyone is following along with them. Maybe the cheer leaders or the prowlers on the field can come by when we are on offense with signs that say quiet. and ones that say Make Noise when we are on D. It's the only way I can think of to get them to learn.

Well I am 31 (by no means an old man) so I cheer and bang the hell out of the seats to make noise while we are on D.

BUT I think that is a fantastic idea with the quiet and noise signs… unfortunately we do need to "train" some of our fans… anyone on here from the Prowlers wants to take this up?
Back to the top

OK I totally understand that the PA system was not working for the national anthem (I was on the field and couldn't even hear it). But when the announcer (who you can hear if your paying attention) says "please rise and remove your hat for the singing of the national anthem" ect… you should know whats happening even if you cant hear it. Plus we do the same thing EVERY pre-game, EVERY year. I know 99% of the people don't pay attention or care to pay attention to the pre-game show but you know the national anthem is going to be played/ sung every game.

Tuesday night was the only night I have ever been embarrassed to be a FAU student. Not because of the game but the fans. The profanity and everything else was just out of control!!! I think at that pep rally instead of kinda/sorta/trying to teach the fight song we should have taught basic football cheering knowledge. Yell when were on defense, shut up when were on offense. And for God's sake when the defensive players are raising their arms up to try to get up to make noise DO IT!!!!

We received a really bad rap last year at the Troy game for being dirty fans/players/ect. There is never a reason to cheer for an injury, chanted bad words (even if the ESPN cameras are in your face telling you to), or leave before the game before it is over (and I watched our student government president walk off the field and head torwards the exit with with 3 minutes left on the clock. What kind of example does that set?

I LOVE FAU! I LOVE FAU SPORTS! Heck I LOVE there being lots of fans at the games. But I DO NOT LOVE them being stupid, rude, and embarrassing! I have heard an excuse for this behavior is because a lot of these people grew up Miami fans. Well we are not Miami, we are FAU and I DON'T want to have a bad reputation like them!

OK rant done! LETS GO OWLS!!!!

AEA
Back to the top

dmarkey said

OK I totally understand that the PA system was not working for the national anthem (I was on the field and couldn't even hear it). But when the announcer (who you can hear if your paying attention) says "please rise and remove your hat for the singing of the national anthem" ect… you should know whats happening even if you cant hear it.

I heard the announcement and stood up….then we heard nothing.  Everyone in my section started looking around at eachother wondering what was happening and the next thing we knew the band was leaving the field.  As much as I would have loved everyone to have been silent out of respect for the anthem, we didn't even know anyone was singing.  My only suggestion is that they don't have people sing it and just let the band play it.  At least everyone would be able to hear that the song is playing and know to be quiet.
Back to the top

dmarkey said

OK I totally understand that the PA system was not working for the national anthem (I was on the field and couldn't even hear it). But when the announcer (who you can hear if your paying attention) says "please rise and remove your hat for the singing of the national anthem" ect… you should know whats happening even if you cant hear it. Plus we do the same thing EVERY pre-game, EVERY year. I know 99% of the people don't pay attention or care to pay attention to the pre-game show but you know the national anthem is going to be played/ sung every game.

Tuesday night was the only night I have ever been embarrassed to be a FAU student. Not because of the game but the fans. The profanity and everything else was just out of control!!! I think at that pep rally instead of kinda/sorta/trying to teach the fight song we should have taught basic football cheering knowledge. Yell when were on defense, shut up when were on offense. And for God's sake when the defensive players are raising their arms up to try to get up to make noise DO IT!!!!

We received a really bad rap last year at the Troy game for being dirty fans/players/ect. There is never a reason to cheer for an injury, chanted bad words (even if the ESPN cameras are in your face telling you to), or leave before the game before it is over (and I watched our student government president walk off the field and head torwards the exit with with 3 minutes left on the clock. What kind of example does that set?

I LOVE FAU! I LOVE FAU SPORTS! Heck I LOVE there being lots of fans at the games. But I DO NOT LOVE them being stupid, rude, and embarrassing! I have heard an excuse for this behavior is because a lot of these people grew up Miami fans. Well we are not Miami, we are FAU and I DON'T want to have a bad reputation like them!

OK rant done! LETS GO OWLS!!!!

I agree 100% with everything you said. I love this school and I wouldn't trade my time there for anything else, I just wish we could act with a little more class the rest of the season.

Back to the top

Jab979 said

For starters throwing stuff on the field. Now I know it happens at EVERY university but it's childish.

I agree except when we play ULM.

Just kidding. Sort of.

Jab979 said

Offense = QUIET …….Defense = LOUD!

That's only going to work if you do the "quiet down" motion with your arms while looking at the people around you. That seems to work. Enough people doing that and we're in business.

fauowls44 said

In defense of the students during the national anthem, I was on the vistor sideline in the section next to the students and the PA system is so bad, I wasn't even aware they were playing the National Anthem until it was over and the band left the field.  You just couldn't hear anything.

Agreed 150%. I didn't hear anything. It was just dead air time…
Back to the top
Control functions: