Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

I watched the ESPN telecast today on my DVR.....

I got to tell you, they served up a great recruiting opportunity for us. We just, as all our receivers have done all year, dropped the ball. Just some of the things I noticed……

-They started out by showing packed Ft Lauderdale beaches, bikini clad coeds, and live bands playing in downtown Lauderdale to open the broadcast.

-Later, they show graphics about HS's career and how he won a national championship at Miami and rebuilt Louisville.

-They showed sketches of our future stadium and even put the proposed location on the tv.

-They sent a much better broadcast team they what they sent to MTSU. We had Rece Davis, Lou Holtz and Mark May.

I'm sure plenty of potential out of state recruits were watching and we laid an egg. I know coaches and player don't go out thinking about that, but its a fact. We need to realize that after the big 3, there are a lot of schools vying for players down here. We should be able to bring 3-5 strong recruits from the south and northeast. If we can't start recruiting with middle of the pack SEC and Big East teams, then we will never get a serious shot to join a bigger conference in the future. 

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Re: I watched the ESPN telecast today on my DVR.....

Silver_Bullet32 said

-They showed sketches of our future stadium and even put the proposed location on the tv.

Which one, the recent one or the old BHNS mod sketch?
Back to the top

It was one that included Innovation Village, but it was just a hand drawn architecture sketch

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

I just watched it again on ESPN360 and it really was a great ad campaign for FAU….if we assume that High School Football players were watching the game (only game on, they might not care about the Presidential Debates), then what they saw were rabid fans, a new stadium on the way, beaches, hot girls, sunshine, and a team that was started from scratch where they can set records.  Aside from the loss, it was really good exposure for us.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I watched the ESPN telecast today on my DVR.....

Good exposure…..yes, but a loss that puts us at 1-5 is not good at all…….as a recruit do you want to go to a program that's slipping

-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

Good exposure…..yes, but a loss that puts us at 1-5 is not good at all…….as a recruit do you want to go to a program that's slipping

The loss would not have been bad if the game was a great game with great action and play making. Instead it was footballs bouncing off player's helmets, snaps over punters heads, personal fouls, interceptions, fumbles, players arguing on the field and sidelines. Not a good showing. Maybe some 4 star recruits watched the game and decided FAU needs them.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

If FIU could get good (according to rivals) recruits after 2 years of no wins (well 1 at the end) then I think we will be fine.  Alabama was 6-6 and had a fantastic class, so did Notre Dame…obviously can't really compare, but the number of wins isnt the only thing recruits care about.

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

If FIU could get good (according to rivals) recruits after 2 years of no wins (well 1 at the end) then I think we will be fine.  Alabama was 6-6 and had a fantastic class, so did Notre Dame…obviously can't really compare, but the number of wins isnt the only thing recruits care about.

You're right – wins aren't as important as other things.  And right now, FIU has the facilities; we don't.  They also have a new coach and a new team attitude; we don't.  Ditto that for Alabama.  It's at least three years before any of that changes for us.  Cristobal can show his recruits a stadium; Schnellenberger has a diorama of something that might be built… someday.  In the meantime, we have a mobile home for a pressbox.
Back to the top

I know two kids that play for FIU and there parents very well. I asked them what the big difference this year and Cristabols first year, they said it seemed like it started after the last game of last season and picked up speed in the spring. The Coach's that were brought in were aggressive and eager to capitalize on their situation (New stadium, better recruits even uniforms and the biggest thing is attitude and discipline. They have a bunch of injuries but it doesn't seem to be effecting the way they are playing. They are playing as a team and teams win football games. I believe we can turn this ship around and get it heading in the right direction but it is going to take every coach, player, and fan to to that.
Back to the top

Thats our biggest thing, teamwork, Rusty bickering with other players, other players blaming Rusty, the Defense alot of times looking like a bunch of individuals with puffed up chests trying to be heroes instead of doing their jobs.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, loss of leadership on both sides of the ball has unglued the team..

Back to the top
Control functions: