Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU just *had* to be in Boca, didn't it

Add topic

Everyone complains about the snobby people in Boca. And for good reason.

Not too long ago, a man was selling hot dogs from a cart along the beach until the owners of the nearby condos complained that he was riff-raff and the presence of his cart was a violation of the visual standards of the community. A hot dog cart.

Now Boca Raton citizens are complaining that the signs along the football fences… you know, the fundraiser signs that promote local restaurants, dentists, anybody who is willing to donate to the athletic program… are an eyesore. Not only that… "an interlocal agreement created by the City of Boca Raton says the signs need to come down. Right now the advertisements face the road where they can easily be seen by motorists.  But the new agreement would require the signs to face into the school."

Read more here:
News, Weather, Video | West Palm Beach News, South Florida Breaking News, Video from WPTV Newschannel 5

Jeez. I'm surprised they even let us have the marquee. I guess streetlight banners along our property on Glades are definitely out then. Or are they? Mizner has banners up on the streetlights. So does the shopping complex on 20th and Federal with the Publix…
Back to the top

Re: FAU just *had* to be in Boca, didn't it

Only reason we have a marquee is because it's on FAU's property, nothing they can do about that. Florida_Owl would know more then me though think he was responsible for the marquee when he worked there

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

We could have neon signs if we wanted to….but I think we at least try to be good neighbors.

I would have to agree though, anybody wish that after WWII that FAU was place on the site of Pompano or Ft Lauderdale execute airport (where Lockhart is….ha we would have had an on campus stadium).  My vote is for Pompano, that neighborhood around there would be awesome as a student ghetto.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Jeez. I'm surprised they even let us have the marquee.

They werent too hot on the idea initally, but nothing they could do to stop it…it's state land…….
Back to the top

owlcountry said

You mean the one that doesn't work…again.

I don't understand Boca's problem with the signs.  I didn't go to Boca High but ever since i can remember they had crappy signs next to a crappy field.  Now that they have nice signs next to an even nicer field somebody has a problem with it.  ???

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

God we are idiots…I dunno why FAU didnt say "hey Boca High, lets get together and build a stadium for both of us" share the costs, get it done sooner

Two stadiums walking distance from each other, what a waste.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

God we are idiots…I dunno why FAU didnt say "hey Boca High, lets get together and build a stadium for both of us" share the costs, get it done sooner

they did, FAU turned down the interest…
Back to the top

FAU just *had* to be in Boca, didn't it

Florida_Owl said

SeminOWL2006 said

they did, FAU turned down the interest…

I can understand why. FAU is trying to get out of playing at a high school stadium. Beink linked to Boca High would probably hold us down even more. It'd be different if we already had the stadium, we could just tell Boca High that they could use our stadium, just pay us. But as far as building a stadium with them, I'd say FAU was wise to turn it down.
Back to the top

Move sports to Jupiter Campus add dorms there, the hell with Boca.  ???
Back to the top

FAUtuba said

owlcountry said

You mean the one that doesn't work…again.

Yeah, that's the one.

Everything about that marquee was an odd decision. First of all, you can barely read it from the intersection (only place you'd have time to read it). Then if you do have time to read it, the people who make the marquee posts do things like small black fonts on bright white backgrounds, so you STILL can't read it.

It's a mess. How much does it cost to build a billboard on campus? That would be a much better idea.
Back to the top
Control functions: