Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Bowden fired at Clemson after 3-3 start

Add topic

Clemson fired football coach Tommy Bowden on Monday, four days after the Tigers lost to Wake Forest and fell to 3-3, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.

Bowden informed his assistant coaches of his firing this morning. Assistant head coach/wide receivers coach Dabo Swinney has been named the team's interim coach for the final six regular season games and potential bowl game.

The Tigers were ranked No. 9 in The Associated Press preseason Top 25 poll and were favored to win their first ACC championship in Bowden's 10th season as coach. But Alabama blasted the Tigers 34-10 in the Aug. 30 opener in Atlanta's Georgia Dome, and Clemson then lost to Maryland 20-17 at home and again to Wake Forest 12-7 to drop their record to 1-2 in ACC play.

Bowden received a lucrative contract extension from Clemson after the 2007 season. He received the extension after considering a potential coaching position at Arkansas.

Bowden, the son of Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, has a 72-45 record and eight bowl appearances at Clemson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3641028

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Bowden fired at Clemson after 3-3 start

Knew it was coming…but didnt think it would be during the season!?

Guess they want to get a jump on the never ending "Coaching Carosel" job market before others join in…….
Back to the top

hmmm….if he's available at year's end…….

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

hmmm….if he's available at year's end…….

This just in from the New's Desk:

Today, hell froze over.

Now, for local news…….

;)
Back to the top

Even if Howard retired and Bowden was available we don't even have close to enough money to make him happy. We can't afford to pay any coach millions right now

Back to the top

Jab979 said

Clemson fired football coach Tommy Bowden on Monday, four days after the Tigers lost to Wake Forest and fell to 3-3, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.

Bowden informed his assistant coaches of his firing this morning. Assistant head coach/wide receivers coach Dabo Swinney has been named the team's interim coach for the final six regular season games and potential bowl game.

The Tigers were ranked No. 9 in The Associated Press preseason Top 25 poll and were favored to win their first ACC championship in Bowden's 10th season as coach. But Alabama blasted the Tigers 34-10 in the Aug. 30 opener in Atlanta's Georgia Dome, and Clemson then lost to Maryland 20-17 at home and again to Wake Forest 12-7 to drop their record to 1-2 in ACC play.

Bowden received a lucrative contract extension from Clemson after the 2007 season. He received the extension after considering a potential coaching position at Arkansas.

Bowden, the son of Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, has a 72-45 record and eight bowl appearances at Clemson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3641028

Jeez, everybody's getting fired today. The Troy coordinator and now Bowden.

I mean come on, he got fired because they dropped to 1-2, 3-3? That sounds to me like boosters threatened to pull out if he wasn't fired.
Back to the top

Bowden fired at Clemson after 3-3 start

Jab979 said

Even if Howard retired and Bowden was available we don't even have close to enough money to make him happy. We can't afford to pay any coach millions right now

LOL it was more of a hypethetical

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

PLEASE let it be true !
Coach S. has found the coach he has waited 10 years for !
Please Please Please
Back to the top

FAUFBL said

PLEASE let it be true !
Coach S. has found the coach he has waited 10 years for !
Please Please Please

Um, the guy has a .615 WP…
Back to the top

I saw a few H.S. kids who gave their verbal commitments to Clemson are now looking to go elsewhere because Bowden isn't there anymore. I'd take him on at FAU if he'd be willing to take a drastic pay cut and be the offensive coordinator, because he can definitely help us with recruiting

Back to the top
Control functions: