Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Auburn fires former Troy Offensive Coordinator

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/auburn-fires-offensive-coordinator/

Auburn Fires Offensive Coordinator

By Connor Ennis

Tags: auburn, football, tommy tuberville

On Wednesday afternoon, Ray Glier’s SEC notebook made note of the fact that Auburn’s offense was struggling mightily under the new coordinator Tony Franklin.

How bad have things gotten for the Tigers? Well, later on Wednesday Coach Tommy Tuberville announced that Franklin had been fired.

“After evaluating where we are at this point of the season offensively, I felt it was in the best interest of the Auburn football program to make this change,” Tuberville said, according to The Associated Press. “I’m not satisfied with where we are and I am personally going to take a larger role with the offense the remainder of the season.

“We are going to work harder than ever to make sure we consistently improve as we move forward.”

It was not immediately clear who would call plays for Auburn (4-2) when it plays Arkansas on Saturday, according to the AP.

Franklin was hired last December and helped Auburn beat Clemson in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. But Franklin struggled to implement the spread this season; The Tigers ranked 104th in total offense in the F.B.S.

Is this the right move by Tuberville or was he too quick to dismiss Franklin? Do you think the Tigers can turn things around this season?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Auburn fires former Troy Offensive Coordinator

Just goes to show though that in the SEC you either:

A.  Win

or

B.  See "A"

Back to the top

Fire a guy in the middle of the season? That's just awful. You don't just show up and immediately move to the forefront of football when you have to implement the spread.
Back to the top

I'm not trying to put FAU coaches out of a job…but it seems like at the end of this year, there could be some good talent coming out of the SEC and ACC.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Auburn fires former Troy Offensive Coordinator

Bowden now done at Clemson the fruit is becoming plentiful on the trees
Back to the top
Control functions: