Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Cheers and Jeers - Western Kentucky Edition

Re: Cheers and Jeers - Western Kentucky Edition

Jab979 said

owlcountry said

WKU_Slam_Dunk said

Good game, fun to watch.  We'll get you next year.   ;)

So were any of the FAU fans that were there on this board?

Probably not, although from the looks of it (from pictures on the FAU Beat Writer's blog), you have a beautiful campus and stadium. If your football team achieves the same level of success as your basketball team, that place is going to be rockin'!

Good luck with the rest of your season.

I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch. They played us tough and they could have beaten us and anything is possible. To say probably not when he said we'll get you next year is a bit much. More like hope not but anything is possible

For purposes of clarification:

Question: "So were any of the FAU fans that were there on this board?"
Answer: "Probably not"
Back to the top

The said

Is anyone else concerned that Howard might be losing control over several players when it comes to discipline?  We have to be somewhere near the the top in 1-A ball when it comes to personal fouls.

I hate when people complain that a coach is "losing control" because of penalties.  As if a head coach could say a couple of stern words and the players straighten up and stop accidentally grabbing a face mask or hit a QB a second too late.  No coach has that ability.  It's not as if they are out there TRYING to get penalized.

I still maintain that too much is being made of the penalties.  Yes it is a problem, but to me, penalties are the type of thing that gets overlooked when you are winning and gets way more attention when you are losing.  There really isn't much correlation between penalties and losing.  LSU won the National Championship last year and was #2 in the country in total penalties (USF was #3).  FIU had 1 win and finished #83.

This year, we are tied for 43rd in total penalties and 28th is penalty yardage.  Again, I'm not saying it isn't a problem.  It is and needs to be corrected, but if we were 5-2 instead of 2-5, nobody would be worried about penalties.  They have contributed to our struggles, but not nearly as much as turnovers and dropped passes. 
Back to the top

Those rankings give a hint about something though….Our penalties are larger than the average…if we were committing the average yard/penalty the ranks would be the same.  Instead we see our total number of penalties is about middle of the pack but our total yardage is way higher than expected.  That means we are doing way more personal fouls than false starts, and I do think that is a huge problem.  In addition, LSU and USF had the ability to make up for it…we dont, so our penalties do seriously affect our ability to win.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Cheers and Jeers - Western Kentucky Edition

The said

Is anyone else concerned that Howard might be losing control over several players when it comes to discipline?  We have to be somewhere near the the top in 1-A ball when it comes to personal fouls.

Discipine has been a problem all season long. I have brought it up in numerous posts and somebody said if we were winning it would be called playing "smash-mouth football." I completely disagree with that. Playing dirty is playing dirty and as I a fan I want the team that I follow to have no part in that.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

The said

I hate when people complain that a coach is "losing control" because of penalties.  As if a head coach could say a couple of stern words and the players straighten up and stop accidentally grabbing a face mask or hit a QB a second too late.  No coach has that ability.  It's not as if they are out there TRYING to get penalized.

I still maintain that too much is being made of the penalties.  Yes it is a problem, but to me, penalties are the type of thing that gets overlooked when you are winning and gets way more attention when you are losing.  There really isn't much correlation between penalties and losing.  LSU won the National Championship last year and was #2 in the country in total penalties (USF was #3).  FIU had 1 win and finished #83.

This year, we are tied for 43rd in total penalties and 28th is penalty yardage.  Again, I'm not saying it isn't a problem.  It is and needs to be corrected, but if we were 5-2 instead of 2-5, nobody would be worried about penalties.  They have contributed to our struggles, but not nearly as much as turnovers and dropped passes.

Maybe, but there's a difference between aggressive penalties – playing until the "echo of the whistle" – and stupid, undisciplined penalties like dumbass facemasks and personal fouls.  We are committing the latter, and I think that comes back to coaching.  It's up to the coaches to instill discipline.
Back to the top

The said

fauowls44 said

The said

Maybe, but there's a difference between aggressive penalties – playing until the "echo of the whistle" – and stupid, undisciplined penalties like dumbass facemasks and personal fouls.  We are committing the latter, and I think that comes back to coaching.  It's up to the coaches to instill discipline.

I agree 100%

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

It is up to the coaches to instill discipline, but the players have to execute and here lies the problem - the players are not as focus as they should be.  You have to stay focus every second of every down and that isn't happening.  The coaches can preach & teach till they turn blue in the face, but the players have to response.

I don't think you can pin it on any one thing - too many mistakes, poor execution.  It's a accumulation of of everything.

Yesterday the players started off OK, playing a mistake free game for the most part & then once the miscues started happening an avalanche effect took hold - they could do nothing right.  Yet, they had enough composure to keep the W intact.

They at least took a small step yesterday & hopefully they can build on the positives. 
Back to the top

It should not be that hard to instill discipline. Most other teams are disciplined. Discipline and accountability go hand in hand. Without accountability there is no discipline.

When I played football it was simple. If a player committed penalties such as personal fouls he ran his ass off. It seemed to be pretty effective. If a player really had a discipline problem he sat; also very effective. The team also ran sprints for every five penalty yards earned in a game. The guys who are not committing penalties are pretty quick to get after those guys who are not disciplined. A couple weeks of that treatment and I bet the penalties will drop in number and fast.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

These mental lapses, (drops, Penalties) are killing us.

That one series was horrendous and shows that the probelm is TEAM wide.

Delay of game, Delay of game, Holding, Sack.

I think we lost almost 40 yards on that play, and the fault was on everyone, Rusty for not watching the clock, The OL for causing the hold and letting thru the sack.  Fortuanetly we were able to punt deep and hold, we wont always be in that position.

Defense is just going insane with these facemasks and other Personal Fouls. There is a differnce between hard nosed football and reckless abandonment We are doing the latter and its hurting the team in both reputation and wins.

P.S.

Seriously, Bonner needs to be benched. I dont care HOW much expereince he has, he is OBVIOUSLY not catching the damn football and is being used way to much if thats going to happen. Sit his arse for 2 games and let the backup go. Cant do any worse.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Did one of our players really take a swing at another player?

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: