Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Heard it before

It's amazing how a disappointing type of season, especially when one held so much promise before the start of the season has fans talking about the coaches having lost touch with this team.

Yes, there is some concerns with the lack of discipline & execution, but I also remember what they where saying about Joe P. from Penn St last year which kinds of mirrors what is being said about Howard now.

Penn St struggled last year with some of the many things that is plaguing this team this year & look at the season Penn St is having this year - same players, same coach.

It's hard to figure out the WHY's certain things happen & sometimes it's rather hard to fix these types of problems during a the course of a season, but I have every reason to believe that Howard will turn the ship around and the Players will get back to playing the type of football they are capable of.

These are the same players of last year & next year we will have return veterans with a good influx of younger players hungry to prove themselves, especially after a season of disappointment.  They will be ready to prove that they where recruited to continue the building process going that the Original Owls started.

This program is still in a building process & sometimes taking a step backwards is part of the growing process - doesn't always makes sense, but some thing we do have to deal with.

We can look to Penn St. and how they turn their ship around as a guide to help us right our own ship.
Back to the top

Re: Heard it before

Automatically blaming the coaching staff when things go bad is lazy thinking.  It's the "easy" explanation.  The truth is the main reason for our struggles is a combination of things.  It has mainly been the perfect storm of turnovers, dropped passes, and some plain old bad luck.  The D is in part responsible too, but in the SBC games we have lost, they played well enough to win.

Has the coaching staff made some mistakes?  Sure.  There have been some calls I've questioned, but there were last season as well.  When things go as wrong as they have so far this year, everyone has to take part of the blame.  But it doesn't mean Coach has "lost it".  Like Bytor said, sometimes things happen that you just can't explain.  The key is that we turn this season around, win as many more games as we can, and then make sure that we learn from what has gone on to this point and make sure that it doesn't happen again. 
Back to the top

LSU used questionable calls all year last year, and won win them….if they had failed they would have been calling for Miles' head, but since they succeeded they call him an innovator and they all love him.

We have the same record as Michigan, and if we win out there is a legitimate chance for a bowl and possibly even a share of the SB championship.  The players need to know that the season isn't over, that we need to capitalize on this win and beat ULM and work our way through the rest of the belt.  We need MTSU to start beating SB opponents…and Troy losing to them.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

We are are definetly not the first team that this has happened to. Ya it sucks, and I've also questioned some of coaches logic, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. You can't say he needs to go with everything he's done for this program. He, and every other coach were the the reason we won the SBC last year, so we know they are capapble of it. I'm just curious,but how many of our coaches have been a conference and bowl winning championship team that had this much hype? Maybe this is something completely new for even our coaches! I don't think we have a realistic shot at winning the SBC, but I'd LOVE for us to win out and finish 7-5. That would show that this team has poise and character and didn't give up, even when they have every reason to.
Back to the top

Heard it before

I think the difference between Schnellenberger and coaches like Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden is that they tend to have very solid assistant coaches and when they don't they make a change.

In all three cases we should be judging the entire staff more than simply the head coach. In all cases the head coach seems to be less involved than in their younger years. As a result poor performance and poor decision-making rests heavily on the assistant coaches.

I think if FAU is going to make a move it needs to be Schnellenberger shaking up the staff and bringing in some new blood.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

I think if FAU is going to make a move it needs to be Schnellenberger shaking up the staff and bringing in some new blood.

GO OWLS!!!

I'm with you owlfan.  Getting rid of Schelly would be a HUGE mistake for our program right now, or even in the near future.  One of the few reasons we get a little noteriaty is because we have a "figurehead" coach that has a long and famous football  resume.  I brought up the question a few weeks ago of what HS actually does as far as "coaching" goes.  He is not nearly as involved as he would have been 20 years ago, just like Bowden or Paterno.  I still think our biggest problem is major penalties.  I can understand a "holding" here or a "facemask" call there, but personal fouls, exceeding the playclock……those are too much for me.  Yes, other teams have lots of penalty yards and still win championships, but those are championship teams to begin with, we are not.  Florida plays a physical game, which leads to lots of penalties, but their offense and defense overcome those and make plays.

I don't know what happens in the locker room, but some type of discipline needs to happen.  Coaches can't fix the mental problems, it has to be the players.  If we eliminate the stupid mistakes and are still losing, then we can look at assistant coach changes, but I personally don't like changing coaches every year just cause you lose a few games.  Look how good that's worked out for the Dolphins. :D

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!
I don't know what happens in the locker room, but some type of discipline needs to happen.  Coaches can't fix the mental problems, it has to be the players.  If we eliminate the stupid mistakes and are still losing, then we can look at assistant coach changes, but I personally don't like changing coaches every year just cause you lose a few games.  Look how good that's worked out for the Dolphins. :D

Totally agree.  This is the same coaching staff that guided this team to the SBC title and NO Bowl win last year.  They didn't forget how to coach during the offseason.  A lot of what has gone on has been poor execution by the players and just plain bad luck.

Nobody is happy with the results so far, but changing coaches every time you struggle isn't a good solution, especially for a team like FAU trying to build a program.  If these problems continue the rest of the season and into next year…fine, make some changes.  But so far, this staff has had FAR more success then failure here at FAU. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

duder said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!

Totally agree.  This is the same coaching staff that guided this team to the SBC title and NO Bowl win last year.  They didn't forget how to coach during the offseason.  A lot of what has gone on has been poor execution by the players and just plain bad luck.

Nobody is happy with the results so far, but changing coaches every time you struggle isn't a good solution, especially for a team like FAU trying to build a program.  If these problems continue the rest of the season and into next year…fine, make some changes.  But so far, this staff has had FAR more success then failure here at FAU.

Would any changes for FAU mean changing coaches every few years?? I don't think so. FAU has had the same staff for quite some time. This isn't the first time that people have brought up making some changes in the staff. It has been floating around for a while.

I also want to clarify. I am not necessarily suggesting that a change is needed. I was only saying that if a change were made (as some think is necessary) it should be in the staff and not with Schnelly.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

There has been some changes on the staff - only a few have been here since day one & DC Hoza is one of them.
Back to the top

I think at this point we are all just graspin at straws trying to answer the same question………….WHY!?

Don't worry boys, it will get better, it has to. ;D

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: