Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Lockdown lifted after shots fired at WKU main campus

Add topic

Lockdown lifted after shots fired at WKU main campus

http://www.wlky.com/cnn-news/17780051/detail.html

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – The Western Kentucky University campus was placed on lockdown Wednesday afternoon due to reports of shots fired near Pearce-Ford Tower, a student dormitory.

WKU issued the following text alert at 12:30 p.m. CT Wednesday: "An armed man has been reported on WKU South Campus. Please stay clear of this area."

Reports state that police are searching for four people dressed in black with guns. Kentucky State Police, Bowling Green police, and campus police have evacuated South Campus.

At 12:44 p.m., school officials sent out the following text alert: "Shots fired near Pearce Ford Tower. Seek shelter immediately."

At 12:47 p.m., a text alert was sent saying that there had been an incident on South Campus involving guns.

Bowling Green police have confirmed reports of shots fired on WKU's main campus at Pearce Ford Tower.

An extensive search did not find any weapons.

Following this search, campus police received a report of shots fired at Pearce-Ford Tower on the main campus.

Police have confirmed there was a physical altercation that did not involve weapons near the dorm. Police are interviewing witnesses on the scene to determine if weapons were involved or if shots were fired.

Reports say one person has been taken into custody for questioning in connection with this incident.

Police are still on the scene and everyone is being advised to steer clear of the area or stay indoors.

At this time, there are no reports of any injuries. Around 3:30 p.m., the lockdown was lifted.

Several other local schools are on lockdown in response to this situation.

James Williams said that he got the following text message from his daughter at 1:37 p.m.: "Stay away from south campus because armed men are running around campus. All students have been moved to the main campus."

University lawyer Deborah Wilkins says there are no reports of injuries.

WLKY and WLKY.com will continue to provide updates on this late breaking news.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Lockdown lifted after shots fired at WKU main campus

I didn't even know about this. My thoughts and prayers to the school.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: