Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU student on-line newspaper

Add topic

Hi everyone! I am a multimedia journalism major and I am in Coverage of Public Affairs this semester. FAU decided to change the way this class is taught and instead of a theory type of class we are creating an on-line newspaper for real world experience. It is being published on FAU's Proteus site.

Here is a link

http://proteus.fau.edu/newspaper/index.html

The site will be updated as more stories are written so keep checking back. Enjoy!

AEA
Back to the top

Re: FAU student on-line newspaper

dmarkey said

Hi everyone! I am a multimedia journalism major and I am in Coverage of Public Affairs this semester. FAU decided to change the way this class is taught and instead of a theory type of class we are creating an on-line newspaper for real world experience. It is being published on FAU's Proteus site.

Here is a link

http://proteus.fau.edu/newspaper/index.html

The site will be updated as more stories are written so keep checking back. Enjoy!

Very cool! So essentially you guys are making your own University Press online?
Back to the top

Actually thats the point….LOL….it's a long story. But anyways I wrote a homecoming article and have interviews coming up with Mike Jarvis and John McCormack to do stories on them so stay tuned.

AEA
Back to the top

dmarkey said

Actually thats the point….LOL….it's a long story. But anyways I wrote a homecoming article and have interviews coming up with Mike Jarvis and John McCormack to do stories on them so stay tuned.

Good stuff.

One thing that stuck out to me was:

Homecoming Committee Director Julie Dias and Assistant Director Chris Adeleke said they hope to make FAU's homecoming more like those of larger, more residential campus schools with more student, alumni and community involvement.

“We want to make it very community-based. We want to bring the community around FAU,” Adeleke said. “FAU's homecoming was started in 2000. We're still growing.”

Because I was told that Homecoming was the longest standing tradition at FAU, going back over 40 years. Is this not correct? Maybe Smitty can jump in here and clarify…
Back to the top

owlcountry said

dmarkey said

Good stuff.

One thing that stuck out to me was:

Homecoming Committee Director Julie Dias and Assistant Director Chris Adeleke said they hope to make FAU's homecoming more like those of larger, more residential campus schools with more student, alumni and community involvement.

“We want to make it very community-based. We want to bring the community around FAU,” Adeleke said. “FAU's homecoming was started in 2000. We're still growing.”

Because I was told that Homecoming was the longest standing tradition at FAU, going back over 40 years. Is this not correct? Maybe Smitty can jump in here and clarify…

There was no homecoming when I was there. There was no sports event to have homecoming. The only sports on campus was intramurals.

I would say the longest standing tradition at FAU is for men to get into the women's dorms after hours without getting caught by one of the RAs. One of my favorite pass times.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Because I was told that Homecoming was the longest standing tradition at FAU, going back over 40 years. Is this not correct?

The person is referring to football and homecoming…

Homecoming has been around with athletics attached to it since at least 1992…
Back to the top

After block painting was axed starting with the 2004 Homecoming, Homecoming itself became the longest standing tradition.

There are different reports of when FAU actually had it's first "Homecoming." I would imagine that it is a similar story as to what the university I work for is going through right now: the last few years, we had alumni reunions, but this is the first time we are calling it "Homecoming." So when was the first Homecoming? Depends on who you ask.

Anyway, FAU had "Homecoming" for the Men's and/or Women's basketball teams before there was football.

I don't live on campus, so I can't do this…but if anyone has some extra time, go to the Library and do three things:
  1. Find the two or three books on FAU's History and see if they have anything in there. I know one of them does not.
  2. Go to the archives and go through the student newspapers. I put a copy of every newspaper the UP had in the library archives in 2005. I would suggest looking at the Homecoming and New Student Editions and seeing if they reference when Homecoming started.
  3. Ask the Library, or the Registrar's office, or simply just ask around and find out the employees that have been at FAU for the past 15+ years. Maybe they'll know. Or maybe ask Armand Grossman, who has been involved with FAU since he graduated in the 60s.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

FAU student on-line newspaper

smittysahoot said

There are different reports of when FAU actually had it's first "Homecoming." I would imagine that it is a similar story as to what the university I work for is going through right now: the last few years, we had alumni reunions, but this is the first time we are calling it "Homecoming." So when was the first Homecoming? Depends on who you ask.

From my understanding, since the Alumni Office was so understaffed, the alumni have traditionally been an afterthought of Homecoming… which is of course ironic because that's one of the main reasons you have an event where people can come home.

I don't know how many alumni-specific events there are at this year's Homecoming. I suppose it's just a come one, come all sort of approach with the parade, comedy show, etc. How many of you alumni (Nunzio, walty, etc) will be here for those events… or do you guys just come out for the football game…? I believe Smitty plans to be here…
Back to the top

I posted a poll asking that same question in the alumni forum of this community.

Wednesday night is the Talon awards, which is for alumni.
Thursday is for Greek Alumni.
Saturday is Alumni tailgate.

There was an alumni event last week to open the Marleen and Harold Forkas Alumni Center as well.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owlcountry said

smittysahoot said

From my understanding, since the Alumni Office was so understaffed, the alumni have traditionally been an afterthought of Homecoming… which is of course ironic because that's one of the main reasons you have an event where people can come home.

I don't know how many alumni-specific events there are at this year's Homecoming. I suppose it's just a come one, come all sort of approach with the parade, comedy show, etc. How many of you alumni (Nunzio, walty, etc) will be here for those events… or do you guys just come out for the football game…? I believe Smitty plans to be here…

I will be there both Thursday and Saturday.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: