Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fifteen of 86 football players test positive for drugs at North Texas

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3669259

Fifteen football players at North Texas failed a drug test conducted earlier this fall, the Denton Record-Chronicle reported.

The program, at the request of coach Todd Dodge, tested 86 of the Mean Green's players, the newspaper reported, citing source material obtained via the Freedom of Information Act.

The university did not identify the players who tested positive or what drugs they tested positive for, according to the report.

"I don't think we have a problem with drugs, but I will say that it's every coach's prerogative to test his team," Dodge said, according to the report. "It's a great tool to help players stay away from drugs and temptations. When I talked to my team about drug testing all of them, I told them that if there was one young man on our team who secretly needed help, if it saved one young man from getting in trouble or ending up dead, then it is worth it."

North Texas AD Rick Villarreal declined to comment on the test results, according to the report.

The tests were conducted from Sept. 24 to Oct. 15, the Record-Chronicle reported.

While the school normally tests athletes at random, "We call ourselves a team and it was appropriate to test the entire team," Dodge said, according to the report. "I don't go by the protocol of what every other team has done."

According to the university's student policy manual, athletes who fail a drug test must attend drug counseling and are subject to additional tests, the newspaper reported.

A second offense results in a suspension, additional testing and mandatory counseling. A third failed test results in suspension from the team while the player undergoes a rehabilitation program. A fourth positive test results in dismissal from the team and revocation of his or her scholarship, according to the report.

The NCAA drug-tested 20 North Texas players on Sept. 30. The university has not yet received the results of those tests, according to the report.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Fifteen of 86 football players test positive for drugs at North Texas

Can you say "we probably wont win a game next year either" boys, and girls?

I knew you could!
Back to the top

They're on drugs and they still can't win a game haha

Back to the top

Fifteen of 86 football players test positive for drugs at North Texas

Jab979 said

They're on drugs and they still can't win a game haha

:D
Back to the top

I bet the students wouldn't have approved that new fee for a new stadium if this has broken earlier…
Back to the top

"I don't think we have a problem with drugs,

Naaaaah.

I'm sure having Cheech and Chong on the field has nothing to do with their 0-8 start.
Back to the top

So what this is saying is 18% of this group of college age kids tested positive for drugs???? Shocking…  Who would think that?
Back to the top

The best comment from the ESPN article on this.

Dimwhit2112 (10/28/2008 at 9:30 PM) "I say give North Texas an exemption and let them take drugs. They need all the help they can get."

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Maybe they were on drugs when they decided to name their athletic teams after Mean Joe Green ???

Back to the top

Can't forget about the NCAA's Safe Harbor Act.

It says that if athletes admit to using drugs before a drug test, they are exempt from taking the test, can not receive any probation from the university or the NCAA, and their punishment is drug counseling.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: