Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Scout Team

anyone been to a practice or heard anything about how the freshmen who are being redshirted are progressing? I'm just looking a little towards the future, but hey, it's never too early (especially with basketball recruits getting offered and committing while still in middle school). But seriously, is this team ever going to have a breakout freshman (I'm excluding Polo, ?is he still 2nd string?)
Back to the top

Re: Scout Team

b_rider72 said

anyone been to a practice or heard anything about how the freshmen who are being redshirted are progressing? I'm just looking a little towards the future, but hey, it's never too early (especially with basketball recruits getting offered and committing while still in middle school). But seriously, is this team ever going to have a breakout freshman (I'm excluding Polo, ?is he still 2nd string?)

Doesn't Howard have a policy of trying not to play true freshman?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I don't think we are getting guys who have the potential to make a serious impact as freshman. In order for a freshman to see the field his ability needs to be so great that he can compensate for not having a strong knowledge of the system. Take Terrell Pryor for example. He is so physically gifted that he can still make an impact even when the offensive system is kept fairly simple. Most guys don't have the physical skills to do that. We are not getting guys with that type of ability. Therefore I think it is better to sit them and let them learn the system while also improving at the physical part of the game.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

walty12 said

Absolutely…….

Unless essential…see Bernie Kosar for a very rare example…
Back to the top

b_rider72 said

The freshmen are coming along as they should. Nobody out there is ready for primetime yet with the possible exception of Xavier Stinson… I would not be surprised if he got a lot of time next season.

LB Alex Pattee, RB Michael Barasch, DT Jimmy Jean, OL Troy Niblack and QB David Kooi have impressed me. Unfortunately Barasch got injured and was in a boot. Pattee batted down passes and Kooi has been doing a lot leading the scout team.

Not that the other guys are bad. QB Graham Wilbert is good, as is Yourhighness Morgan and some of the defensive guys who will have their work cut out for them in the future.

Highly-touted WR recruit Amos Wood didn't do much for me. I was really looking forward to this guy and he was dropping a lot of passes. The lead was too great and he just wasn't getting to them. He def needed to be redshirted from what I saw.

Keon Broxton didn't show up, Travis Cox and Chase Bowers went to prep.

I wish we knew more about who was coming and going with visits but FAU doesn't have much to show off right now, Schnellenberger takes a "let them wander and see who comes home" approach and the Rivals guy has slowed down his coverage because we must not be buying enough… but then again he's keeping up with the basketball recruits so who knows.
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

walty12 said

Absolutely…….

Kosar was also 20.
Back to the top

The said

Florida_Owl said

walty12 said

Absolutely…….

Kosar was also 20.

True…and very talented, and they didnt really have any other choice…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

The said

Florida_Owl said

walty12 said

Absolutely…….

Kosar was also 20.

True…and very talented, and they didnt really have any other choice…

Except Vinny. :)
Back to the top

Scout Team

owlcountry said

b_rider72 said

The freshmen are coming along as they should. Nobody out there is ready for primetime yet with the possible exception of Xavier Stinson… I would not be surprised if he got a lot of time next season.

LB Alex Pattee, RB Michael Barasch, DT Jimmy Jean, OL Troy Niblack and QB David Kooi have impressed me. Unfortunately Barasch got injured and was in a boot. Pattee batted down passes and Kooi has been doing a lot leading the scout team.

Not that the other guys are bad. QB Graham Wilbert is good, as is Yourhighness Morgan and some of the defensive guys who will have their work cut out for them in the future.

Highly-touted WR recruit Amos Wood didn't do much for me. I was really looking forward to this guy and he was dropping a lot of passes. The lead was too great and he just wasn't getting to them. He def needed to be redshirted from what I saw.

I wish we knew more about who was coming and going with visits but FAU doesn't have much to show off right now, Schnellenberger takes a "let them wander and see who comes home" approach and the Rivals guy has slowed down his coverage because we must not be buying enough… but then again he's keeping up with the basketball recruits so who knows.

thanks for the update, do you attend practice regularly?
Back to the top

b_rider72 said

owlcountry said

b_rider72 said

thanks for the update, do you attend practice regularly?

Did. Got really busy this semester. I stop by occasionally now.
Back to the top
Control functions: