Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

How can FAU go to a bowl?

ok sorry guys but i am really bored waiting for class to start, so i thought i was break this down as best as i could….

Option A: Win out every game remaining, win Sun Belt Conference and go to New Orleans Bowl

unlikely, because we would need Troy to lose 3 games (so we can break the tie with them) and ULL would need to lose a game PLUS the game against us

Option B: Win out every game remaining, ULL lose a game PLUS the game against us, and hope for the following:

invitation to the Papajohns.com Bowl (Big East vs. SEC), St. Petersburg Bowl (Big East vs. C-USA) or Independence Bowl (Big 12 vs. SEC):

in order to get into one of these bowls, we need the Big East, C-USA, SEC or Big 12 to not fulfill its number of eligible bowl teams

Big East: 6 bowl tie-ins (not including a BCS bowl for its champion)
Big 12: 8 bowl tie-ins (not including a BCS bowl for its champion… plus an at-large BCS for its runner-up)
SEC: 8 bowl tie-ines (not including a BCS bowl for its champion… plus an at-large BCS for its runner-up)
C-USA: 6 bowl tie-ins (this process gets even MORE confusing if Tulsa can somehow go undefeated and possibly "crash" the BCS party)

Where Option B stands as of right now:

Independence Bowl is very very unlikely… the Big 12 already has 5 bowl eligible teams, and no teams yet have been eliminated from eligibility (Iowa State has 6 losses, so one more loss, and they will fail to qualify)… but they only need 3 more teams to fulfill its tie-ins and that is very likely to happen (the Big 12 is a strong conference this year)…. as for the SEC, they are looking at possibly qualifying all 12 of their teams this year… Arkansas, Mississippi State and Tennessee have 5 losses, so they have to lose TWO more games to fail to qualify for a bowl, but even if that happens (high unlikely), the SEC would still look at possibly 9 teams eligible with 8 bowl tie-ins

Papajohns.com Bowl is unlikely, but not doomed yet… i just explained the SEC and their bowl eligibility… as for the Big East, they have 6 tie-ins and no one yet is ineligible (Syracuse has 6 losses and i am sure they will lose at one more game, which will make them ineligible)… this conference WILL qualify its 6 tie-ins because ONLY Syracuse and Rutgers have more than 3 losses (Rutgers has 5, so would still have to lose 2 more games this season)… they are looking at qualifying all 6, maybe even 7

St. Petersburg Bowl is our best shot… that was the Big East situation… as for C-USA, they have 6 tie-ins, one team is already ineligible (SMU), two teams have 6 losses (UAB and Southers Miss) so those teams only need to lose one more time, and 3 teams have 5 losses (UCF, Memphis and Tulane) so those teams need to lose twice… 5 teams in this conference look like they would become bowl eligible and if Tulsa can run the table and get a BCS berth, that would leave a spot open with only 5 teams eligible from this conference

so… we need to win out, we need ULL to lose twice (including against us), and pray for C-USA to have 6 eligible teams WITH Tulsa being undefeated going to the BCS bowl and we can end up in the St. Petersburg Bowl

got it? haha

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

Re: How can FAU go to a bowl?

I was going to make a thread like this awhile back. I spent 45 minutes looking at at all the conference websites and standings on ESPN. St. Pete is definitely our best chance. I think we needed Marshall to lose the other day, and they didn't so that might have done it. Considering most team on the "bubble" so to speak are all playing bottom of the barrel teams in Conference USA. I'm still hopeful. Hopefully Conference USA just starts beating itself like crazy, and we can win out and ULL will lose. It would be the ultimate turn around for the year.
Back to the top

"as for the Big East, they have 6 tie-ins and no one yet is ineligible"

Actually there are 3 Big East teams that are Bowl Eligible… All it takes is 6 wins to be bowl eligible

Cincinnati is 6-2
UConn is 6-2
  &
USF is 6-3

then you have West Virginia, Louisville and Pitt all with 5 wins

meaning that out of the 8 Big East teams Rutgers and Syracuse will be the only ones who aren't bowl eligible

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

The PAC 10 could also leave an open spot in the Poinsettia Bowl.

I think play needs to improve greatly before we can talk about running the table for these last 4 games, and going to a bowl.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

Jab979 said

"as for the Big East, they have 6 tie-ins and no one yet is ineligible"

Actually there are 3 Big East teams that are Bowl Eligible… All it takes is 6 wins to be bowl eligible

Cincinnati is 6-2
UConn is 6-2
  &
USF is 6-3

then you have West Virginia, Louisville and Pitt all with 5 wins

meaning that out of the 8 Big East teams Rutgers and Syracuse will be the only ones who aren't bowl eligible

jab… read what i wrote… no one yet is INeligible, lol

as for the poinsetta bowl, yes, in theory, but i name these 3 particular bowls (st pete, independence and papajohns) because the sun belt has "guaranteed alternate" tie-ins for those

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

owl 09 if tulsa gets into a bcs game and c-usa has 5 eligible teams would they only be able to fill 4 of their normal bowl tie-ins
Back to the top

Buy a ticket and sit in the stands.

Go Troy Go
Back to the top

How can FAU go to a bowl?

Hemi said

Buy a ticket and sit in the stands.

Can you save me a seat? Unless you're saving a seat for the Troy football team

Back to the top

Uh, hate to burst anyone's bubble but, have you seen the Owls this year?

I love the Owls, but we are one of the worst teams in the country.  We should not be but we are.

Let's get real here, please.  We do not have a chance nor should we have a chance to be in a bowl this year.

We have 3 wins against 3 of the worst teams in the country, with a 4th win coming up against THE worst team in the country.

A bowl game?  Please stop this nonsense…it's embarrassing.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Uh, hate to burst anyone's bubble but, have you seen the Owls this year?

I love the Owls, but we are one of the worst teams in the country.  We should not be but we are.

Let's get real here, please.  We do not have a chance nor should we have a chance to be in a bowl this year.

We have 3 wins against 3 of the worst teams in the country, with a 4th win coming up against THE worst team in the country.

A bowl game?  Please stop this nonsense…it's embarrassing.

Yeah this season has been a big disappointment but all you need is 6 wins to be bowl eligible and we're halfway there. So we beat UNT we have 4 wins. It's not out of the realm of possibility if we win outright we can get to a bowl… likely? NO…. Possible? YES

Back to the top
Control functions: