Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Cheer for UTEP and WKU this week...

….because the first tie breaker, should us, Troy and ULL finish at 5-2 in the conference, is that if only one team has seven wins, then they go to New Orleans.

So, if UTEP beats ULL and then ULL loses to us and MTSU but beats Troy, they finish 6-6.

If Troy loses to WKU, LSU and ULL, but beats ASU, then they finish 6-6 too.

We win out and finish 7-5 and to to NOLA!

Long way to go, but I'm an optimist!
Back to the top

Re: Cheer for UTEP and WKU this week...

My head is spinning, but i'm with you! ;D
Back to the top

Cheer for UTEP and WKU this week...

i hope so! but thats a lot of ifs and buts and some more ifs
Back to the top

Ha ha, yeah but as long as somebody else figures it all out, and tells us who we want to win next weekend, I can handle it!
Back to the top

Wow nice...so we all would share the title and we get the ticket punched to return? That would be awesome, talk about a back way in.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Believe it or not, there is a scenario that would allow FAU to win a share of the Conference Title and, due to the head to head tiebreaker, could get the New Orleans Bowl bid.  There could also be an unprecedented 5 of 8 Sun Belt Conference teams bowl eligible.  Not that 6-6 teams from the SBC would get much of a fair shake to get an invite, it would surely be a "high water mark" for the conference and should improve our overall conference rating but would also increase our share of the bowl money distribution, should they happen to get an invite.  The more the merrier . . . as long as the Owls get to go bowling.  However, if they can't but two or three other SBC teams can, the extra bowl loot could surely help ease the pain a bit.

First and foremost, FAU has to win out and finish 7-5 (5-2).

Secondly, Troy would have to lose to ULL and ASU, both at home but more likely now with their QB situation.  With projected win against WKU and loss to LSU, Troy would finish 6-6 (4-3).

Louisiana-Lafayette would have to lose to FAU on the road, beat Troy on the road and lose to MTSU at Cajun Field.  With projected win at home against UTEP, ULL would finish 7-5 (5-2).

Arkansas State would have to lose to FAU at home, beat Troy on the road and win one of two against FIU & UNT to finish 6-6 (4-3).  Beating both FIU and UNT (not unlikely), ASU could also finish 7-5 (5-2).

Finally, FIU would have to lose to FAU at Dolphin Stadium, but wins against ASU, ULM and WKY would allow the Panthers to finish 6-6 (4-3)

Since Troy, under this scenario, would have three conference losses, they would be out of the running for the SBC.  However, ULL, ASU & FAU could all finish at 5-2 in conference but since FAU would have defeated both ASU and ULL, much like last season, the Owls would get the invite.

Hey, I never said it was a slam dunk, just that it was one possible scenario.  It does offer an opportunity to make some of the other games more interesting as we progress.

Slight adjustments to this scenario could allow FAU to still finish 7-5 (5-2) but not earn the New Orleans Bowl bid. In this case, we need to root against Rutgers so they don't reach bowl elegibility.  They are 3-5 and still have home games against Syracuse (win) and Louisville (loss) and road games at Army (win) and at USF (loss).  Finishing 5-7 would free up the last Big East tie-in with the St. Petersburg Bowl on 12/20 in St. Pete, FL.

With nine SEC bowl tie-ins (including the automatic bid to a BCS bowl) we would also want to root against:
• Tennessee (3-6 with Wyoming, @ Vandy, Kentucky remaining) Losing even one of these three would eliminate the Volunteers.
• Auburn (4-5 with Tennessee-Martin, Georgia, @ Alabama remaining) Likely losses to Georgia and Alabama would eliminate the Tigers.
• Arkansas (4-5 with @ South Carolina, @ Mississippi State, LSU remaining) Petrino's Razorbacks may win one of these three.
• Mississippi State (3-6 with @ Alabama, Arkansas, @ Mississippi remaining) Beating Alabama?  NO WAY. Period.

The Big XII has seven bowl tie-ins and with six teams already qualified and Nebraska one win away with Kansas, @ Kansas State & Colorado remaining, they should meet minimum requirement to get a bowl bid.

Keep in mind that this is just my take.  It is late and it may be flawed but I think it is pretty accurate.  Feel free to look it over and give me your take.

Back to the top

Here's one more thought.  If Florida and Alabama both win out and face each other in the SEC Championship, we'll also want to pull for a Gator win.  A 2-loss Florida team will almost assuredly drop out of the BCS bowl running.  However, a one-loss Alabama team, coming out of the SEC will definitely earn a BCS bowl berth, opening up yet another slot in the SEC bowl tie-ins.

Here, from Wikipedia (Automatic bids to college bowl games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), is a rundown of the bowls for which we have at least secondary tie-ins:

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl - C-USA #5 vs. Sun Belt Champion
- New Orleans Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Independence Bowl - Big XII #7 vs. SEC #6/7/8 - AdvoCare V100 Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PapaJohns.com Bowl - Big East #4/5 vs. SEC #9 - BBVA Compass Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
St. Petersburg Bowl - Big East #6 vs. C-USA
- Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Back to the top

owlsindider said

Here's one more thought.  If Florida and Alabama both win out and face each other in the SEC Championship, we'll also want to pull for a Gator win.  A 2-loss Florida team will almost assuredly drop out of the BCS bowl running.  However, a one-loss Alabama team, coming out of the SEC will definitely earn a BCS bowl berth, opening up yet another slot in the SEC bowl tie-ins.

Here, from Wikipedia (Automatic bids to college bowl games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), is a rundown of the bowls for which we have at least secondary tie-ins:

Independence Bowl - Big XII #7 vs. SEC #6/7/8 - AdvoCare V100 Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PapaJohns.com Bowl - Big East #4/5 vs. SEC #9 - BBVA Compass Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you win the SEC I think you are automatically in a BCS bowl.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

owlsindider said

If you win the SEC I think you are automatically in a BCS bowl.

Right.  But I think what owlsindider is saying, that it benefits us if 2 SEC teams make the BCS.
Back to the top

owlsindider said

UF travels very well, so if they lose their conference championship game, there is still a real possibility of them getting the bid to the SEC BCS game they are tied to.  Bama wins out including conf champ, they go to the Natl Championship, leaving the SEC tie in open, which IMO would go to UF.
Back to the top
Control functions: