Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Interesting incident at Mizner Park

Add topic

This exemplifies why Boca is so hesitant about Boca becoming more like a college town.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/bocaraton/sfl-flpmizner1102pnnov03,0,1693992.story

Essentially what happened is that a California reggae/rock band named Slightly Stoopid played in the concert venue at Mizner and the young people outside the venue were causing a 'public nuisance' by… well, being young people.

"More than 8,000 people filled Mizner Park in Boca Raton on a summer night, twice the size of the group of ticketed fans inside the park's amphitheater. The crowd along Plaza Real was rowdy enough to bring out an extra 30 police officers, who broke up fights and witnessed underage drinking and drug use. Fire-rescue took six people to the hospital for alcohol poisoning and other problems, which tied up the city's rescue units for several hours, officials said. No one was arrested that night but police broke up several fights. There were so many people that traffic could not drive through Mizner Park, Officer Sandra Boonenberg said. The city spent $25,000 managing the rowdy crowd, an expense taxpayers will bear."

I guess Boca better get used to it. Change is coming.
Back to the top

Re: Interesting incident at Mizner Park

Interesting incident at Mizner Park

Ah yeah. Slighty Stoopid sure puts on a good show. Too bad it was the same night as FAU at Texas.

But it's the promoter's fault for booking them at that venue. They would have been better off playing on campus at FAU.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

This exemplifies why Boca is so hesitant about Boca becoming more like a college town.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/bocaraton/sfl-flpmizner1102pnnov03,0,1693992.story

Essentially what happened is that a California reggae/rock band named Slightly Stoopid played in the concert venue at Mizner and the young people outside the venue were causing a 'public nuisance' by… well, being young people.

"More than 8,000 people filled Mizner Park in Boca Raton on a summer night, twice the size of the group of ticketed fans inside the park's amphitheater. The crowd along Plaza Real was rowdy enough to bring out an extra 30 police officers, who broke up fights and witnessed underage drinking and drug use. Fire-rescue took six people to the hospital for alcohol poisoning and other problems, which tied up the city's rescue units for several hours, officials said. No one was arrested that night but police broke up several fights. There were so many people that traffic could not drive through Mizner Park, Officer Sandra Boonenberg said. The city spent $25,000 managing the rowdy crowd, an expense taxpayers will bear."

I guess Boca better get used to it. Change is coming.

I think this issue is more about which bands they let play at Mizner…not the students at FAU.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I agree with Canadian and Walty. A simple case of the wrong venue.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Definetly wrong venue, for Slightly Stoopid.  Althought it would have been fun to be there, they put on a great show.  Someone had said it, but it would have been great to have them play on campus.  I remember one year for the spring concert we had Darwin's Waiting Room, Alien Ant Farm and Papa Roach playing out back.  That was a cool show.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

Definetly wrong venue, for Slightly Stoopid.  Althought it would have been fun to be there, they put on a great show.  Someone had said it, but it would have been great to have them play on campus.  I remember one year for the spring concert we had Darwin's Waiting Room, Alien Ant Farm and Papa Roach playing out back.  That was a cool show.

That was an amazing show. The Papa Roach concert was excellent. The year before we had Bush and Moby. Whatever happened to the MTV campus invasion tour? They sill do that?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

That was an amazing show. The Papa Roach concert was excellent. The year before we had Bush and Moby. Whatever happened to the MTV campus invasion tour? They sill do that?

http://www.mtvu.com/uconnect/campus_invasion_tour/2008/

I wouldn't be surprised if, as a business decision, they only wanted to hit up "big" colleges where they could sell a lot of tickets.
Back to the top

Plus the UP didn't make them to happy a decade ago when Road Rules (or one of those shows) came to campus and had the Playboy Bunnies vs. the Road Rules. It was all staged… of course… and the UP wrote about how it was all staged. MTV sent them a letter, apparently offering them money to keep quiet. That was the part of the story that struck everyone as strange, not that it was staged or the letter was sent asking them to keep quiet. But the fact that they tried to buy silence.

I'm not accurate on all the details probably, but something like that happened.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Plus the UP didn't make them to happy a decade ago when Road Rules (or one of those shows) came to campus and had the Playboy Bunnies vs. the Road Rules. It was all staged… of course… and the UP wrote about how it was all staged. MTV sent them a letter, apparently offering them money to keep quiet. That was the part of the story that struck everyone as strange, not that it was staged or the letter was sent asking them to keep quiet. But the fact that they tried to buy silence.

I'm not accurate on all the details probably, but something like that happened.

What was staged? That the Playboy Bunnies would win?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

What was staged? That the Playboy Bunnies would win?

That was before my time. I'm not sure.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: