Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Attendance growth

The new PBP reporter, TOM D'ANGELO, reported a homecoming crowd of 17,175.

Isn't our home game attendance average for this season floating around 17k?

Wasn't it 15k the year before?

What was the average in 2006?

I'm just wondering if we can expect ~2000 more people per year… because that would mean we'd be about 19k in Lockhart next year. Considering the stadium only holds about 20k, that would be pretty damn cool if we could get into numbers like that next season.
Back to the top

Re: Attendance growth

I think the biggest turnout has been with the students and I think that that has alot to do with last year, and also with Student Government. They are REALLY pushing for student turnout at every game. The turnout wasn't as good as the troy game, but then again, we were playing the worst team in the country, and our team has not been winning like everyone expected. I think as long as we keep putting together winning seasons and with people like SG, prowlers and other groups pushing for more student involvement, we should see continual growth each year.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

I think the biggest turnout has been with the students and I think that that has alot to do with last year, and also with Student Government. They are REALLY pushing for student turnout at every game. The turnout wasn't as good as the troy game, but then again, we were playing the worst team in the country, and our team has not been winning like everyone expected. I think as long as we keep putting together winning seasons and with people like SG, prowlers and other groups pushing for more student involvement, we should see continual growth each year.

There also wasn't as large a turnout because we didn't chalk the ground and make banners for the Breezeway like we usually do. For the Troy game, it was balls-out… even had OwlRadio in the Breezeway talking about the game.

I think it's been shown time and time again that grassroots marketing is the best way to go on our campus. Shirts, OwlRadio in the breezeway, quarterfliers, chalked ground, banners, Facebook events, spraypainted boards… when it all comes together, we have large turnouts.
Back to the top

Anyone else think that the administration needs to make sure that the "visitor side" at the new stadium as well as at Lockhart become the student section.  It shows appreciation and it allows for a differentiation between family/alumni area and the craziness that is a student section.  Put the visiting team in a corner like everywhere else on earth.  Watching the game on OwlTV it was a bit embarrassing to see the sideline empty but then the student section was craaazy.

On a stadium note, the design conceptuals should be out soon.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Anyone else think that the administration needs to make sure that the "visitor side" at the new stadium as well as at Lockhart become the student section.  It shows appreciation and it allows for a differentiation between family/alumni area and the craziness that is a student section.  Put the visiting team in a corner like everywhere else on earth.  Watching the game on OwlTV it was a bit embarrassing to see the sideline empty but then the student section was craaazy.

Good idea. I have a few thoughts about it. Maybe we can flush out everyone's ideas and send our thoughts to athletics?

- If FAU turns the visiting sideline into the student section, it would take away some revenue. The sideline tickets are more expensive than the "crunch zone" (endzone) because they have seat backs.
- You are guaranteed a seat if you purchase a sideline ticket designated by a section, row and seat number.
- The crunch zone is "general admission," holds more people in a tightly-confined area and allows students more flexibility to move through the stands to go to the bathroom, get refreshments, etc.
- Sitting students, who have been accused of cursing, etc., under the "luxury" boxes where dignitaries and possible supporters of the university are being cultivated, wouldn't be good.

What I do agree with is moving the visiting team into the north east corner of the endzone where the visiting team comes out. But, if you do that, you have to charge them general admission prices and not sideline, losing revenue that the department needs.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

SeminOWL2006 said

Good idea. I have a few thoughts about it. Maybe we can flush out everyone's ideas and send our thoughts to athletics?

- If FAU turns the visiting sideline into the student section, it would take away some revenue. The sideline tickets are more expensive than the "crunch zone" (endzone) because they have seat backs.
- You are guaranteed a seat if you purchase a sideline ticket designated by a section, row and seat number.
- The crunch zone is "general admission," holds more people in a tightly-confined area and allows students more flexibility to move through the stands to go to the bathroom, get refreshments, etc.
- Sitting students, who have been accused of cursing, etc., under the "luxury" boxes where dignitaries and possible supporters of the university are being cultivated, wouldn't be good.

What I do agree with is moving the visiting team into the north east corner of the endzone where the visiting team comes out. But, if you do that, you have to charge them general admission prices and not sideline, losing revenue that the department needs.

I hear what you are saying about losing revenue, but let's face it, for the time being, we aren't selling a lot of those tickets.  My suggestion is to give the students the two bleacher sections closest to the student endzone.  Fill those sections first, then start filling the endzone.  They would still be far enough away from the visiting team section to avoid a lot of issues, and you still have the 2 sections of chairback seating to sell, which is plenty of inventory at the moment.  This would not only help create better game atmosphere, but it also forces students to get into the stadium early if they want the better seats.  I would say about half the students entered the stadium yesterday after the game started and we had already scored the first TD. 
Back to the top

Attendance growth

fauowls44 said

I hear what you are saying about losing revenue, but let's face it, for the time being, we aren't selling a lot of those tickets.  My suggestion is to give the students the two bleacher sections closest to the student endzone.  Fill those sections first, then start filling the endzone.  They would still be far enough away from the visiting team section to avoid a lot of issues, and you still have the 2 sections of chairback seating to sell, which is plenty of inventory at the moment.  This would not only help create better game atmosphere, but it also forces students to get into the stadium early if they want the better seats.  I would say about half the students entered the stadium yesterday after the game started and we had already scored the first TD.

I like that idea

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

when is everybody going to understand that it really sucks for the football team to see an empty stadium when walking on the field. They game had started and everybody was outside the stadium!!!!!!!!!! why?????
Our attendance isn't that bad !!! 17K average is great for a program so small and no football stadium on campus, but please show up on time for the game.
I heard everybody making noise when NT had the ball which is great. That means everybody is learning.
FAU looked great but we were playing the worst team in the nation this season, sooo let's see what happens next saturday.

GO OWLS!!
Back to the top

AlexFAU06 said

when is everybody going to understand that it really sucks for the football team to see an empty stadium when walking on the field. They game had started and everybody was outside the stadium!!!!!!!!!! why?????

If you find the answer to that question, let me know. LOL.

We have to start spreading the word that after the band plays in Rally Alley, that everyone needs to head into the stadium.

Back to the top

smittysahoot said

AlexFAU06 said

If you find the answer to that question, let me know. LOL.

We have to start spreading the word that after the band plays in Rally Alley, that everyone needs to head into the stadium.

I think they should just make an annoucement out there, or just have people go and tell everyone to start going in. It's kind of lame when we do pre-game to no one in the stadium. The stadium wasn't full until probably halfway through the first quarter. Also, they tried to do a new chant with one side saying "GO" and the other saying "OWLS." It was kind of lame because there was just no one in the stadium, it was like an awkward silence.
Back to the top
Control functions: