Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

D.C. forward Andre Mattison picks FAU

Add topic

Power forward Andre Mattison committed to Florida Atlantic and head coach Mike Jarvis this week. Mattison chose FAU over Amercan, Lafayette, Cornell and Harvard.

Mattison's coach at Coolidge, Vaughn Jones, played for Jarvis at George Washington.

"Jarvis was my former coach, and I talked [Mattison] up," Jones told the Washington Post. "Andre had a few other offers, but he really trusted Coach Jarvis, and Coach really liked him."

Nov. 7
Andre Mattison, PF

Washington, DC

Calvin Coolidge H.S.

Scouts Grade: 80

Position Rank: 117

College Basketball Recruiting Schools - ESPN
Back to the top

Re: D.C. forward Andre Mattison picks FAU

Mattison Plays Big for Colts

By Alan Goldenbach
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 11, 2008; Page E08

Never mind that he's often the biggest player on the court, Coolidge junior Andre Mattison seldom uses his size to overpower smaller opponents. Over winter break, though, when the Colts went to the Kingdom of the Sun Tournament in Ocala, Fla., the 6-foot-6 Mattison had to guard Division I recruits who were as much as a half-foot taller than him.

It gave him an idea.

"Down there, I couldn't just out-jump people, and they pushed me around a bit," Mattison said. "The same way they were doing me down there, I figured I could do it up here to people."

That was how Mattison scored most of his career-high 22 points last night, as he led Coolidge to a 65-53 victory at Theodore Roosevelt in a matchup of two of the top teams in the D.C. Interscholastic Athletic Association. Both teams faced stiff nonconference opposition last month.

Not only was Mattison effective on second-chance opportunities, he showed a couple of strong low-post moves, including a smooth jump hook off an inbounds pass, and filled the lane nicely in transition.

"That was the best game of his career," Coolidge Coach Vaughn Jones said. "He got used to playing against big-time competition [over the break] and he really held his own. Without Andre, we probably don't win this game."

Mattison, who Jones said bulked up to 215 pounds over the summer, scored eight points as Coolidge staked itself to a 12-3 lead. Roosevelt (7-6, 1-1) got back in the game from behind the arc; the Rough Riders hit nine three-pointers. Senior forward Dalec Cromwell (three three-pointers, 22 points) and senior guard Marquis Tyler (four threes, 14 points) were most effective.

But Roosevelt struggled to establish offensive flow and also faced defensive matchup problems without senior point guard Jibri Banner, who missed his fifth straight game with a high-ankle sprain.

"That was big not having him," Roosevelt Coach Rob Nickens said, "but you've got to hand it to Coolidge. [Mattison] played real well. He was the difference."

Coolidge (8-7, 2-0) scored the first six points of the second half – four from Mattison – which kept Roosevelt at arm's length. A three-pointer by Tyler cut Coolidge's lead to 46-43 early in the fourth quarter, but the Colts extended its advantage on threes of their own by John Raiford and Derrick Washington, and a tear-drop layup by Washington.

Coolidge 65 Theodore Roosevelt 53 Let's Do It Again: The teams play again at Coolidge on Jan. 29. Mr. Mayor in the House: Mayor Adrian M. Fenty was in attendance and gave a brief greeting to the crowd at halftime before shaking hands with several fans. Coolidge 65 Theodore Roosevelt 53 Let's Do It Again: The teams play again at Coolidge on Jan. 29. Mr. Mayor in the House: Mayor Adrian M. Fenty was in attendance and gave a brief greeting to the crowd at halftime before shaking hands with several fans.

Mattison Plays Big for Colts
Back to the top

RhodeIslandOwl said

Power forward Andre Mattison committed to Florida Atlantic and head coach Mike Jarvis this week. Mattison chose FAU over Amercan, Lafayette, Cornell and Harvard.

That's awesome… over Cornell and Harvard? Wow.
Back to the top

Can we maybe get a thread with a sticky on it dedicated to recruiting? Maybe list the players who we have verbal agreements from and who else we are looking at?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Can we maybe get a thread with a sticky on it dedicated to recruiting? Maybe list the players who we have verbal agreements from and who else we are looking at?

It seems like everybody and their mother wants to commit to Jarvis. Can't deny it… the man has good connections and reputation.
Back to the top

I was noticing that too…every week its like oh a new recruit locked away.  The guy is doing his homework thats for sure…I mean its one thing to recruit south florida and be a regional recruiting team but he is getting guys from all over the northeast.  These connections with a wide array of former players, coaches, and friends is a built in network that money simply can't buy.  I expect big things c. 2010, new Football stadium, plus the coming of age of Jarvis recruits, it will be HIS team at that point.

GO OWLS!

PS the Capital Improvements Plan shows a couple big sums being thrown at the convocation center from 2010-2012, all paid for via State grants…lets hope we can be calling a new and improved burrow home in 5 years!

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

D.C. forward Andre Mattison picks FAU

Hmmmm-quality players and quality people.  Nice combination…MJ is on the move.
Back to the top

He better not have any academic issues with Harvard and Cornell looking at him!!!
Back to the top

RhodeIslandOwl said

Nice work RhodeIslandOwl!

Not a big fan of "ratings" overall, but do have to mention that all of these signees are in the 80's…this is certainly not a bad thing!
Back to the top
Control functions: