Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ECU vs UCF

Add topic

I didn't see the whole game,but I watched most of the 4th quarter. UCF seems to be having the same problem we are with drops. They've had a couple for first downs that would have helped alot, maybe even won the game in regulation. The last 2 mins had 3 turnovers or something like that. It was one of the ugliest 2 mins I've seen, then on the very first play of overtime, UCF QB throws an interception and ECU kicks a field goal to win. That's good, because it keeps are very slim chances of the St. Pete bowl alive. But man, what a sloppy game.
Back to the top

Re: ECU vs UCF

Close but no cigar for our fellow one hit wonder from Orlando.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Loving it!  Great game :)
Back to the top

GO Pirates!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

UCF = officially non-bowl eligible

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I love it lol! :)
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

They're 2-7 with remaining games at Marshall, Memphis and UAB.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

SeminOWL2006 said

They're 2-7 with remaining games at Marshall, Memphis and UAB.

so they should end up 3-9…

maybe a long shot at a bowl??

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha…….
Back to the top

ECU vs UCF

Can anyone else say one dimensional?  They got lucky with Smith, struck gold really, and he carried the team, kicking and screaming to a conference championship and a bowl berth.  But he couldn't help them win the bowl, and they obviously couldn't help themselves this year after he left.

FIU = no longer the worst team in Florida

Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Can anyone else say one dimensional?  They got lucky with Smith, struck gold really, and he carried the team, kicking and screaming to a conference championship and a bowl berth.  But he couldn't help them win the bowl, and they obviously couldn't help themselves this year after he left.

FIU = no longer the worst team in Florida

They did get lucky with Smith, it's true. We got lucky with a Smith of our own.

I know many people would argue that CUSA teams are better than SBC teams, so UCF's record cannot be compared to FAU's or FIU's… although SBC was pretty evenly matched against CUSA last year.

In any case, while I think FIU is certainly not the worst team in Florida, I think it's a stretch to say that UCF is the worst team just because they're 2-7. They have talent but they need to figure out how to win again. They're starting a true freshmen (Calabrese) at QB so that likely contributes to their woes as well.

Here are current the standings for Florida Div.1 teams, with bold being bowl-eligible:

UF 8-1
FSU 7-2
USF 6-3
Miami 6-3

FAU 4-5
FIU 4-5
UCF 2-7

Both FAU and FIU can become bowl eligible without beating each other, though in reality neither one would likely get a bowl bid at 6-6. We know this. We can enter the Shula Bowl as 6-5, they can enter as 5-5. They win, they walk out 6-5 and should take care of WKU to finish 7-5. If we win out, we finish 7-5.

Since they'll be fired up either way, it's best for us if FIU loses to ULM. That'll put them at 4-6 and a longer shot at getting a bowl bid. If they win, they'll be focused on keeping momentum and that could raise them up over us.
Back to the top
Control functions: