Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

student apartments?

Add topic

anyone know when there going to start building the student apartments? the orignal plans said july 2008. another 1000 kids living on campus only helps everything.
Back to the top

Re: student apartments?

Exit39 said

anyone know when there going to start building the student apartments? the orignal plans said july 2008. another 1000 kids living on campus only helps everything.

Right after they construct the Greek housing.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

Housing told me the next dorm (Innovation Village phase I) would go up in Fall 2010. Guess it got pushed back because of the Development Rights negotiations.

Whether Innovation Village Phase I means 600 (1 dorm) or 1200 beds (2 dorms worth), I don't know. They were supposed to break ground back in August in order to meet their Fall 09 deadline and obviously that didn't happen.

They know they can fill at least 600 more beds. I'm certain that as they open up more housing, the demand will increase for it.
Back to the top

Greek Housing will happen by 2012. My understanding is that the Greek Constituency group of the FAU NAA, and Greek Life, a pushing plans through soon for a Greek Village. The land that was earmarked years ago is still earmarked for Greek Housing.

Teambeer? Any additional input?

And at the Greek Alumni Networking Mixer on Thursday, Board of Trustee Armand Grossman told the crowd that it will happen. And when he says something…he means it.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Jeez, just imagine if all this was in place a few years ago......FAU is really going to be a hot spot to be at in the next couple years.
Back to the top

i was there from 98 to 02' when it from empty to somewhat lively. The stupid part is they could've done this stuff years ago when the borrowing was cheap and plentiful. there could be another 3000 kids on campus right now if they had the balls to pull the trigger. i guarantee if they had built six greek houses they would all be filled now. FAU has always talked a big game but never come through with much in the last ten years. I really think the a lot of people on the board of trustees are not very intelligent. they could've sold so many bonds at such low interest rates from 01 to 06 for a penny on the dollar. Living in NYC i see how many huge condo's went up that were 95% financed at 1% interest rates. And these are all in the private sector, public money was even cheaper to come by because muncipal bonds are exempt from federal taxes.
Back to the top

Looks like Phase I will have 600 beds, and is supposed to open in 2010.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

FAU - Approved Facilities Programs
Back to the top

Is Algonquin still there, or did they tear down those old barracks dorms?

I miss that place, and all the Asbestos with it.
Back to the top

student apartments?

NCowl said

Its still there, except its all singles now.
Back to the top

NCowl said

The Gonq is still there. As mentioned above, they have turned them into singles. They are also on 12-month contracts, which gives freshmen an opportunity to live on campus from August - July (since most students take summer classes anyway) and not have to live in the "dorms" the first two semesters and then transfer to a new room just for the summer.

No more eight people to a suite, with four bedrooms and two bathrooms. Now it's four people to a suite, with four bedrooms and two bathrooms.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: