Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Charlotte now forming football

Add topic

Charlotte votes to start football program by 2013 - ESPN

starting in FCS and hopes to move to FBS

new football programs being created:

South Alabama
Charlotte
Georgia State (?)
Georgia Southern

any other i am forgetting?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

Re: Charlotte now forming football

owl09 said

Charlotte votes to start football program by 2013 - ESPN

starting in FCS and hopes to move to FBS

new football programs being created:

South Alabama
Charlotte
Georgia State (?)
Georgia Southern

any other i am forgetting?

Georgia State is correct…but Georgia Southern has had football for a while…since 1982 I believe.
Back to the top

Georgia Southern has been a 1-AA powerhouse for years. The original Adrian Peterson played RB for them in the late 90s and was a beast.

For those of you who are not familiar with the real AD here is one of his runs. It may be one of the best runs ever in college football history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usFFN9mPIDY

Georgia State will start in 2010.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

University of the Incarnate Word (where I work) is starting a D2 program

University of Texas at San Antonio is starting an FCS team by 2011. They expect to hire staff/coach this January.

Texas State (the old Southwest Texas) is going from FCS to FBS in the next five years.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Georgia Southern has been a 1-AA powerhouse for years. The original Adrian Peterson played RB for them in the late 90s and was a beast.

For those of you who are not familiar with the real AD here is one of his runs. It may be one of the best runs ever in college football history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usFFN9mPIDY

Georgia State will start in 2010.

GO OWLS!!!

I remember watching him play on ESPN, he was unbelievable.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

University of the Incarnate Word

??? ??? ??? ???

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

UNCC was in the Sun Belt at some point if I am not mistaken.  However, there is currently a freeze on transitioning from FCS to FBS, it is ending in a few years but they were trying to slow the tide of startups (like us) moving quickly into the big leagues.  Then again, I disagree with the FCS and FBS differentiation in the first place. If the smaller schools can't or do not want to compete at the D-I level they should go to D-II.

Texas State would be a good name for the Sun Belt as would Georgia State.  Both have the inherent legitimacy that a school with
(State Name) State University has.

So USA would get us to 10 and Texas State and Georgia State would take us to 12 for a conference championship.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I think Texas State is trying to go C-USA

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

UNCC was in the Sun Belt at some point if I am not mistaken.  However, there is currently a freeze on transitioning from FCS to FBS, it is ending in a few years but they were trying to slow the tide of startups (like us) moving quickly into the big leagues.  Then again, I disagree with the FCS and FBS differentiation in the first place. If the smaller schools can't or do not want to compete at the D-I level they should go to D-II.

Texas State would be a good name for the Sun Belt as would Georgia State.  Both have the inherent legitimacy that a school with
(State Name) State University has.

So USA would get us to 10 and Texas State and Georgia State would take us to 12 for a conference championship.

I think both of those schools would be great additions to the Belt.

Back to the top

Charlotte now forming football

smittysahoot said

I think Texas State is trying to go C-USA

I think that would be too big a leap for that program, they need to start in the Belt before heading up to Conference USA especially if they are planning on joining in basketball as well…they wont win a conference game.  Being from Texas I am very familiar with that program and its not as good as FAU's….if anybody is going to Conf USA in my opinion its Troy, MTSU, or FAU.

Back to the top
Control functions: