Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

attendance

I read somewhere that the attendance was somewhere in the 14,500 range.  Im not even gonna get into a debate about what the actual # was but what im trying to figure out is why there was an obvious large drop off in attendance for this game compared to others.  Especially when our team is playing at its best and playing the #1 team in the conference???????????
Back to the top

Re: attendance

RoscoeOwl said

I read somewhere that the attendance was somewhere in the 14,500 range.  Im not even gonna get into a debate about what the actual # was but what im trying to figure out is why there was an obvious large drop off in attendance for this game compared to others.  Especially when our team is playing at its best and playing the #1 team in the conference???????????

Let's face it: The people on this board, and some college football fanatics that are in our student body, know how big of a game it was.

The large percentage probably thought this:

MTSU Tuesday night game: Yay! I get to be on TV and it's on a Tuesday night. How fun!

Troy Tuesday night game: Yay! I get to be on TV and it's on a Tuesday night. Do we always play on Tuesdays? Do I get excused from class for the past two classes? Destroy Troy? And I get a t-shirt? Cool!

N. Texas Saturday game: Homecoming? So the cool thing to do is go to the game, right?

ULL on Saturday: Let's go to the beach and then go to downtown Fort Lauderale. But wait, there's a game? Who are we playing? Is that that yellow team from Louisana that are called the Tigers?

And perhaps a preview..

FIU in a few weeks: It's at Dolphin Stadium? That means we must be playing a really good team! Wait, FIU? They suck, don't they? They are good this year? Hmmmm maybe we should go…

Just my opinion…

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Did FAU push yesterday's game on campus? I thought I heard they really pushed the previous game and that always helps.
Back to the top

Not to use the weather as an excuse, but it was a beautiful day in the neighborhood yesterday, it does play a HUGE roll with attendance, especially here in South Florida.

And we don't have the fan base (YET) the larger schools have to help off-set the ones that do have other obligations.  Even us die-hard fans, have a hard time to plan around every game.  I don't even know if I'll be back from NC in time to make the FIU game  ???

With our fan base, a 4-5K swing is huge.
Back to the top

I don't think it was pushed very hard on campus. There could have been signs saying "Come to Saturday's game and watch FAU take on the #1 team in the Conference!". But there wasn't. I was really dissapointed in the turnout. I think that maybe there was just some other stuff going on yesterday. I think one of the girls in the band left after halftime because she had something to do with her sorority and I know it probably didn't make a HUGE difference, but the RAs from HPT put on an Amazing Race program or something like that, which was supposed to last all day. I'd say that would only take away maybe 50 students, if that, but I guess people just had better things to do yesterday than go to the football game.
Back to the top

Ha, I think we are the only school that GOOD weather is a deterrent to attending the football game.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I've also heard that a sorority and a fraternity had fundraisers going on out of town or something like that. I had talked to one of the guys in the fraternity (I don't remember which one) and asked if he would be at the game. His response was that he had a fraternity fundraiser somewhere. I suggested maybe they try and schedule not during a home game but he said that most of them don't care about the games. It was kind of dissappointing to hear. Oh well.

AEA
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

RoscoeOwl said

Let's face it: The people on this board, and some college football fanatics that are in our student body, know how big of a game it was.

The large percentage probably thought this:

MTSU Tuesday night game: Yay! I get to be on TV and it's on a Tuesday night. How fun!

Troy Tuesday night game: Yay! I get to be on TV and it's on a Tuesday night. Do we always play on Tuesdays? Do I get excused from class for the past two classes? Destroy Troy? And I get a t-shirt? Cool!

N. Texas Saturday game: Homecoming? So the cool thing to do is go to the game, right?

ULL on Saturday: Let's go to the beach and then go to downtown Fort Lauderale. But wait, there's a game? Who are we playing? Is that that yellow team from Louisana that are called the Tigers?

And perhaps a preview..

FIU in a few weeks: It's at Dolphin Stadium? That means we must be playing a really good team! Wait, FIU? They suck, don't they? They are good this year? Hmmmm maybe we should go…

Just my opinion…

How about Fiu;

Hmmmm  Thanksgiving weekend…..im at home with my family…..ohh wait there is a game, who are we playing?  FIU……uhh and its at dolphin stadium……we always beat fiu (except one year)……ehh im gonna stay at home for another day instead of driving back to school to go watch a football game…
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

How about Fiu;

Hmmmm  Thanksgiving weekend…..im at home with my family…..ohh wait there is a game, who are we playing?  FIU……uhh and its at dolphin stadium……we always beat fiu (except one year)……ehh im gonna stay at home for another day instead of driving back to school to go watch a football game…

I can already hear the excuses now: "I dunno man, Dolphin Stadium? That's really far. It's too far to drive. It's one thing if we were playing Miami but we're playing FIU. I think I'm just gonna chill here Give me a call when you get back if you want to do something."
Back to the top

attendance

dmarkey said

I've also heard that a sorority and a fraternity had fundraisers going on out of town or something like that. I had talked to one of the guys in the fraternity (I don't remember which one) and asked if he would be at the game. His response was that he had a fraternity fundraiser somewhere. I suggested maybe they try and schedule not during a home game but he said that most of them don't care about the games. It was kind of dissappointing to hear. Oh well.

Good point. I don't remember seeing any Greeks there.

I'm not baffled at all about why there wasn't anyone there. I don't understand what the marketing people at Athletics are doing. I really don't. I mean, I see the posters with the schedules up here and there. I know they've made those and put those up but that's at the beginning of the season. I see some printouts by the backpack area in the bookstore but that takes all of 15 minutes to make and print up. Same thing with the banners. Those are premade and put up in a day. So what are they doing on a day-to-day basis, from 8 to 5 pm?

Maybe Florida Owl can shed some light on this.
Back to the top
Control functions: