Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt title scenarios

Sun Belt title scenarios

OK, with this ULL game done, we now have a bit of a clearer picture. Obviously, we need to win out as we would be 5-2 and would eliminate ASU and FIU from title contention in the process.

ULL and Troy are both 4-1, but they play each other next week, so someone will have two losses. Problem is, Troy already has six wins, which means the best scenario would be for them to lose both of their final two games as seven wins could be a big factor in the tie-breaker.

So here are the scenarios:

Troy beats ULL and ASU; ULL loses to Troy but beats MTSU – Troy wins the Sun Belt at 6-1. ULL and us would both be bowl eligible, although we would finish second on the head-to-head.

Troy beats ULL and ASU; ULL loses to Troy and MTSU – Troy wins the Sun Belt at 6-1. We would be would be bowl eligible, but ULL (5-7) would not be.

Troy beats ULL, but loses to ASU; ULL loses to Troy but beats MTSU – We're all 5-2, but ULL would only have six wins. That would eliminate them from New Orleans contention and means Troy would go to New Orleans by virtue of beating us. (The rule is: In a tie involving three or more teams:
First you eliminate teams without 7 or more wins. If that leaves one, that team wins. If that leaves two, the winner of their head-to-head match-up wins.)

Troy beats ULL, but loses to ASU; ULL loses to Troy and MTSU – Troy and us finish tied at 5-2, but they go to New Orleans by virtue of beating us.

ULL beats Troy, but loses to MTSU; Troy loses to ULL but beats ASU – We're all 5-2, but ULL would only have six wins. That would eliminate them from New Orleans contention, and means Troy would go to New Orleans by virtue of beating us.

ULL beats Troy and MTSU; Troy loses to ULL but beats ASU – ULL would win the Belt at 6-1 and go to New Orleans. Troy and us would both be bowl eligible.

ULL beats Troy and MTSU; Troy loses to ULL and ASU – ULL would win the Belt at 6-1 and go to New Orleans. Troy and us would both be bowl eligible, although we would finish second outright as Troy would be 4-3.

and finally….the only scenario we can go to New Orleans, from what I can tell…

ULL beats Troy, but loses to MTSU; Troy loses to ULL and ASU – ULL and us both finish at 5-2, but we win the right to go to New Orleans via the head-to-head tie breaker. Troy finishes at 4-3 in conference, but is still bowl eligible.

Let me know if I screwed up somewhere.
Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt title scenarios

wow… this really breaks it done for us thanks… I will be glued to the TV this weekend watching all the outcomes… also the fact that RED BULLS have made it to the MLS CUP FINAL this Sunday makes it even sweeter… but that's a different football  ;D

I think Troy will lose to ULL coz we pissed them off pretty bad!!! and ULL beats MTSU
ASU will lose to FAU and Troy but will beat NT

So I believe that is option/scenario #6 above

My second guess would be a Troy victory over ULL and I would go with option/scenario #1 above

So looking good IF WE WIN OUR FINAL GAMES…. LET'S GO OWLS!!!!

Where does FIU fit in all of this assuming we beat them???
Back to the top

Boone said

Where does FIU fit in all of this assuming we beat them???

They already have two losses, so they would need something ridiculous to happen.
Back to the top

GhostOfBuchanan said

They already have two losses, so they would need something ridiculous to happen.

Like beat us??

;D
Back to the top

All I really care about is us winning out and finishing 7-5. Ending the season with a 6 game win streak would somewhat salvage the season and hopefully give us momentum for next year. But what I am hoping for is for Troy to beat ULL so that we could take posession of 2nd place and be lined up for a bowl if it becomes available. Of course I'd love for us to go to New Orleans, but I'm being realistic and I don't think that would happen. I think Troy is going to beat ULL. Troy is probably really upset about LSU and are going to be playing with alot of confidence knowing that they put up that many points on an SEC team. So I am going to say that the first scenario is what happens, with us winning out as well.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

All I really care about is us winning out and finishing 7-5. Ending the season with a 6 game win streak would somewhat salvage the season and hopefully give us momentum for next year. But what I am hoping for is for Troy to beat ULL so that we could take posession of 2nd place and be lined up for a bowl if it becomes available. Of course I'd love for us to go to New Orleans, but I'm being realistic and I don't think that would happen. I think Troy is going to beat ULL. Troy is probably really upset about LSU and are going to be playing with alot of confidence knowing that they put up that many points on an SEC team. So I am going to say that the first scenario is what happens, with us winning out as well.

I dont think Troy giving up 33 points to LSU in the 4th quarter is going to give them confidence.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

FAUfasho said

I dont think Troy giving up 33 points to LSU in the 4th quarter is going to give them confidence.

Well they also put up 30 points on an SEC, that has to do something in the way of confidence, as well as giving up that many points in the 4th will give them motivation to go out and dominate ULL
Back to the top
Control functions: