Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Interesting career path

Add topic

FAU Alumnus –> UMiami Law school –> Los Angeles actor

From the Miami Herald: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/columnists/joan_fleischman/story/773550.html

Tom Schwartz, former general counsel of the Miami Free Zone, is now an actor in L.A. with the stage name Tom Derek. Catch him on Cold Case this Sunday. The episode – ''Triple Threat'' – airs at 9 p.m. on CBS. Story is about the 1989 murder of ''a young Russian opera singer who defected with her family to the U.S. before the Berlin Wall came down,'' according to a Warner Bros. Television synopsis. Schwartz plays a cranky cop in a flashback scene.

Schwartz, 60, says he caught the acting bug in '85 when he got a bit part on the TV show Miami Vice. The following year, he landed a cameo in Making Mr. Right, a comedy starring John Malkovich that was shot in South Florida. Schwartz played a news reporter. ``I guess that's when I really fell for acting hard.''

He later appeared in Transporter 2. ``I played a homeless man.''

Schwartz, born in Czechoslovakia, emigrated as a baby with his parents in '49. He grew up in Youngstown, Ohio, and Detroit. The family moved to Miami Beach in '61, and Schwartz graduated from Beach High in '66. He attended Florida Atlantic University and University of Miami's law school. Sister Margie Blasberg is manager of Washington Mutual's Aventura branch.

Schwartz no longer practices law but remains a member of The Florida Bar.

Back to the top

Re: Interesting career path

Thanks!

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

I actually caught the episode before seeing this thread. I have never seen the show before and just stumbled upon it. It was actually pretty good.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Interesting career path

That's a terrible stage name, how could you use my first name as a last name?… ::)
Back to the top
Control functions: