Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

State Senator Pruitt to push new legislation.....

Add topic

State Senator Pruitt to push new legislation.....

Allowing FAU and all State Universities to charge differential tuition….a 9% increase in tuition is expected that would raise $800k.  The bill is supported by all 11 University Presidents.

News, Weather, Video | West Palm Beach News, South Florida Breaking News, Video from WPTV Newschannel 5

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: State Senator Pruitt to push new legislation.....

SeminOWL2006 said

Allowing FAU and all State Universities to charge differential tuition….a 9% increase in tuition is expected that would raise $800k.  The bill is supported by all 11 University Presidents.

News, Weather, Video | West Palm Beach News, South Florida Breaking News, Video from WPTV Newschannel 5

Everyone knew this was coming. Florida is famously underfunded at the higher education level. Imagine what the universities could accomplish on the national scene if they charged twice what they do now.

Sure, it sucks for students who have to foot the bill. Really, really sucks. But it has to be done.
Back to the top

Exactly, FAU's growth plan basically showed a freeze of in-state students and an increase in out of state simply because of the increased revenue.  This should help the school and considering that 5 schools already have it, it will let us compete better.  We also have the advantage of being much smaller than say FIU.  Leaner, meaner, and going after every research opportunity we can.  I'd like FAU to stay relatively small, making small classes one of its biggest selling points over USF, UCF, FIU and even UF/FSU

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Exactly, FAU's growth plan basically showed a freeze of in-state students and an increase in out of state simply because of the increased revenue.  This should help the school and considering that 5 schools already have it, it will let us compete better.  We also have the advantage of being much smaller than say FIU.  Leaner, meaner, and going after every research opportunity we can.  I'd like FAU to stay relatively small, making small classes one of its biggest selling points over USF, UCF, FIU and even UF/FSU

Selling point to who, though? The prevailing sentiment among high schoolers is the bigger, the better. Movies and TV shows have shown these kids that the big colleges are"real college" and everything else isn't.

I think we'll hit a point anyway where we have to become large since I was reading that in the coming years, there will be 50,000 more high schoolers in Florida than seats in Florida universities for them. They were even considering opening another public university somewhere…
Back to the top

I disagree that they see large as real college.  The most desirable schools, the Ivy league, maintain small undergraduate classes (in both senses) and these are often depicted in the movies as the real college experience.  If FAU uses Arizona State or UCF as a model they are going down the WRONG path with massive stadium seating classes and video lectures.  They key to success is small class sizes where individual students can get to know one another and know the teacher.  For reference the University of California system does not have a University above 37k (UCLA), with most around 25-30K, and is considered one of the premier University systems in the US.  Those are very desirable schools that are somewhat smaller than the mega-schools while still maintaining high academic standards.

Back to the top

I think more students on campus is what you guys are referring to, not more students that attend the school.  FAU doesn't need anymore students, they need more students on campus to make it feel like the movies depict.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I think this will work out for us in the long run.  I didn't read the whole article, but if it lets schools choose their own tuition rates, the bigger schools are going to raise thier rates a lot more than a FAU or UNF would.  UF, FSU, and Miami will hike up their rates, and kids will still be dying to get in just for the name.  Meanwhile, the applicants who still want an education, but can't afford the big name school will look harder at smaller schools.  I think I was a minority in high school because I really wanted no part of a "big" university.  I chose FAU for location, a good marine bio program, and the small class sizes.  The glam and glitter of FSU or UF did nothing for me.  But then again, I live a simple, bare bones life, heck, I don't even have internet at home.  ;D

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: