Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU at Muvico

I was waiting for a movie to begin and several advertisements flashed across the screen for FAU football. Rusty was up there (both on the screen and in the audience, as it turned out), the music played (Owl Time! Owl Time! Hoo hoo!) and the text said, "Buy your season tickets today."

That was a great move IMO. Has anyone seen that prior to now? I hadn't… usually it's just Barry Kaye telling us about live or die, it pays to get life insurance.

A side anecdote: the girl behind me was asked what colleges she applied to… first said UF, UNF and USF… said she'll "get around to UCF, FGCU and FA-Yoohoo". That's another first for me. FAYoohoo. And I thought I had heard all the FAU nicknames…
Back to the top

Re: FAU at Muvico

Is that a racial remark? Yoohoo? Interesting

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Owl time, owl time, hoo hoo?  Ugh.  We'll do better when we stop marketing FAU football like minor-league ice hockey.
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Is that a racial remark? Yoohoo? Interesting

Yoohoo is a drink. See Yoo-hoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Back to the top

Thats where I guess I was going with that.  The drink is chocolate, FAU is one of the top minority degree granting institutions in the nation.. I was just wondering if thats why she called it FA-yoohoo.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Thats where I guess I was going with that.  The drink is chocolate, FAU is one of the top minority degree granting institutions in the nation.. I was just wondering if thats why she called it FA-yoohoo.

Two things

1) She meant "yoohoo" in a sarcastic way, like, "Oh I guess I have to go to FAU… yoohoo"

or

2) She meant yoohoo to indicate the recent rise in school spirit there

I think the first one is more likely. Like I said, most high schoolers seem to want to get away from their parents and the city where they went to high school. To stick around Boca for another 4 years is probably not all that exciting an idea to them.
Back to the top

FAU at Muvico

owlcountry said

SeminOWL2006 said

Two things

1) She meant "yoohoo" in a sarcastic way, like, "Oh I guess I have to go to FAU… yoohoo"

or

2) She meant yoohoo to indicate the recent rise in school spirit there

I think the first one is more likely. Like I said, most high schoolers seem to want to get away from their parents and the city where they went to high school. To stick around Boca for another 4 years is probably not all that exciting an idea to them.

Well, it's probably not exciting for some locals, but it is probably really exciting for out of state students.

Back to the top
Control functions: