Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Recreation & Fitness Center Phase II Renderings

Add topic

So anyone thats been in the old Rec center has seen the renderings for Phase II of the new Rec Center, which  will begin was soon as the building opens in January.

Renderings of new pool, and new expansion:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

New floor plan:

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

Re: Recreation & Fitness Center Phase II Renderings

I haven't seen these before, thanks for posting them! What's the ETA of Phase II?
Back to the top

I think ETA for Phase 2 is Fall 09.

Looks like pool may not be big enough to handle leisure lap swimmers. But it's an improvement over the shared facility we have now!

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Looks like pool may not be big enough to handle leisure lap swimmers. But it's an improvement over the shared facility we have now!

It's going to be bigger than you think.

Actually, I was one of the students consulted on the design of this pool. Have been for a couple of months. Thought they didn't want the cat out of the bag just yet so I didn't post anything here. We almost didn't even get this pool… the state tried to pull back the money and Brogan personally fought for this Phase II. If it wasn't for him, FAU wouldn't have it.

Anyway, as you can see the pool is in an H shape because there was a desire to have one side for lap swimming (the right side of the pool in the diagrams) and the other side (left side) would be for more recreational swimming. It will have a zero depth entry (otherwise known as a beach entry, or progressive ramp) on the recreational side. On the recreational side there will be a giant Owl head or the winged FAU logo on the bottom of the pool (students insisted). We also want it to have some kind of cool lighting for night swimming… possibly multi-color LEDs so it can be green or purple, etc.

There was some back and forth about how big the pool would be but Campus Rec (who is in charge of the project) wanted there to be sufficient deck space… not just for tanning but also because they envision this being a social area that campus orgs and particularly Greeks can rent out to have socials. There will be a sound system that will be "bumpin" (their exact words) and their should be some kind of food service/bar that you can roll out from storage for events.

We considered building an island that you could swim up to but there are all these rules about distance from one surface to another and then you throw in the restrictions of space… well, this is what we got back from the pool people. You'd be surprised how many restrictions there are on building pools.

Personally, I think it's awesome. I'm not thrilled with the whole lap pool side (we have a bunch of lap pools over by the Burrow…) but everything else is basically what I imagined. I especially love the tall FAU pillars that people will see driving down Lee Street.

If you look at the right side of the last picture, you'll see that the actual Rec Center itself has been extended. Now, they're going to expand the cardio/weight room but that glassed-in area is going to have a bunch of video game systems and TVs for people to just chill and do that.

One last thing… there was some opposition to this project from the faculty in Science and Engineering. Essentially they didn't want to be passing "MTV's College Poolhouse" on their way to work. That's why there's some fencing and high landscaping on the north and east sides.

I was told they hope to have this finished by Summer '09. Construction is supposed to begin immediately after the Rec Center opens in January.
Back to the top

Questions regarding the pool?

What is the length of the lap side? 25-yards? 25-meters? 50-meters?

Also will students still be allowed to use the other pools for lap swimming? This could be why there are lap lanes.

AEA
Back to the top

Recreation & Fitness Center Phase II Renderings

dmarkey said

Questions regarding the pool?

What is the length of the lap side? 25-yards? 25-meters? 50-meters?

Also will students still be allowed to use the other pools for lap swimming? This could be why there are lap lanes.

I would suspect they are either 25 meters or 25 yards.

The problem with using the other lap pools by the Burrow is that the swim team has them on lockdown and there are also swim lessons that go on. That's why swimming was so limited before.

And I'm glad that the fence and trees are going up to protect the MTV Summer Beach House. It will give everyone in there more privacy.

I hope that the Rec Center will sell things like sun tan lotion. That would be a small money-maker for them, even though they aren't in it for the money

Are there going to be tables with umbrellas?

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

This will single handedly change the on-campus experience.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

RETENTION RETENTION RETENTION

Back to the top

owlcountry said

smittysahoot said

One last thing… there was some opposition to this project from the faculty in Science and Engineering. Essentially they didn't want to be passing "MTV's College Poolhouse" on their way to work. That's why there's some fencing and high landscaping on the north and east sides.

Man, what I wouldnt give to pass that every day to and from work? 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

It helps, the stadium makes everything legit.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: