Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Campaigning for a Bowl

I think FAU has some very good reasons to get into either the Papajohns.com Bowl or Independence Bowl. The way I understand it, these bowls must choose between the SBC's bowl eligible teams. I think an email campaign, along with whatever the athletic dept. does in these situations, is in order.

Here's the email for the executive director of the Papajohns.com Bowl, Mark Meadows: [email protected]. He's a member of the Bowl Committee AND works for ESPN. The same network that showcased us twice this year and broadcasted the Owls last year in the NO Bowl. He could be a good ally.

The executive director of the Independence Bowl is Missy Setters. Their website lists her email as: [email protected]. Her bio says she was a four year letterwinner at LSU in golf and married to a former LSU offensive lineman, so maybe mention that you also root for the Tigers (even if it's a white lie) or you love golf…can't hurt.

Anyway, I think that if we send them a quick email, showing that FAU has fans that will travel and support their team and the host city it might swing a vote or two in our favor. Nothing too long or threatening obviously, just saying that you look forward to visiting their city's various landmarks or maybe eating a famous restuarant there….something that proves you already looked into a visit. And oh yeah, talk up the Owls….I will mention how they fought back from a 1-5 start, their big win against ULL (undefeated going into our game in conference), the big OT win over our rivals to gain bowl eligibilty, and of course, we have Rusty Smith and Schnelly, two very interesting figures who would lead to better TV ratings than anything MSTU or Ark. State could offer.

So what do you guys think?? Let's get on this. GO OWLS!!
Back to the top

Re: Campaigning for a Bowl

I like the enthusiasm. I just hope they don't take the e-mail campaign as a nuisance.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

I like the enthusiasm. I just hope they don't take the e-mail campaign as a nuisance.

I doubt it.  It's only an e-mail.  They can choose to read them or not, but if they see a bunch of e-mails from FAU fans, maybe it has an impact on some level.  In the end, it may not help, but it certainly can't hurt.
Back to the top

We could always get a plane and fly around the headquarters that says:

Our OOC Schedule: Texas, MSU, Minnesota.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

loss

loss

and loss

guys, i sincerely hope this entire thread is a joke… right?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

owl09 said

smittysahoot said

loss

loss

and loss

I wouldn't mention games we lost. But I see nothing wrong with a quick note. I sent one to each of these people…one paragraph just suggesting they consider the team's more appealing points. What can it hurt? What is the worst thing that happens? They don't invite the team to a bowl game? The rules state a team needs 6 wins to be invited, the bowl tie-ins say these two bowls must choose a bowl eligible SBC team….we fit those criteria, why not give it a shot?
Back to the top

Campaigning for a Bowl

fauowls44 said

owl09 said

smittysahoot said

loss

loss

and loss

I wouldn't mention games we lost. But I see nothing wrong with a quick note. I sent one to each of these people…one paragraph just suggesting they consider the team's more appealing points. What can it hurt? What is the worst thing that happens? They don't invite the team to a bowl game? The rules state a team needs 6 wins to be invited, the bowl tie-ins say these two bowls must choose a bowl eligible SBC team….we fit those criteria, why not give it a shot?

Can't hurt at this point.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I guess what it comes down to is this: Of the MUTS and the Cajuns, which team can we be looked as more favorable against?  The MUTS beat Maryland a century ago and have been on a win streak.  The Cajun have been falling down but are more regionally tied to the bowls.

Also, what impact would an Arkansas State victory over Troy do for us?

I think the email campaign is a good idea but I think that the real campaign should come from our coach, our media outlets (Ted get to work!), and hopefully good bowl projections from outside observers (a little nudge to remind them that FAU is a good choice).

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

i cant see the reason anyone would want to take a 6-6 team from the belt that (dont get mad) doesnt travel well, heck, we cant even sell out games at home….little less have people travel a distance for a bowl game.

Not trying to rain on the parade but trying to realistic
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

i cant see the reason anyone would want to take a 6-6 team from the belt that (dont get mad) doesnt travel well, heck, we cant even sell out games at home….little less have people travel a distance for a bowl game.

Not trying to rain on the parade but trying to realistic

The bowls don't WANT to take a Sun Belt team that is 6-6, they have to.  It just comes down to which 2 out of 3 they take.  We might not sell out the stadium, but who in the Sun Belt does?  The attendance last year was good for the New Orleans Bowl and that has to take into account that Memphis sent less than it would have thanks to a big basketball game.

I think they need to send us to New Orleans if they want a decent turnout from FAU fans, and if Troy goes to Papa Johns and ASU to Independence its all good right?

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: