Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Playoffs vs BCS

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AtMwvzGwZG0Q4yvZ6dhn0o8cvrYF?slug=dw-playoff120208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Article about a playoff system.

It would be still very tough for any sunbelt team to win, but it does give them a chance at least. I always have thought this should be done though, it gives more deserving teams a chance at the title.

Anyways, you thoughts?
Back to the top

Re: Playoffs vs BCS

Playoff

12 team system (where top 4 get bye and 5-12 have a play-in), but every conference would have to be declared equal and human polling removed.  May add too many games to schedules.

No playoff

Then just expand the BCS bowls so that every conference has a contender in (plus at-large), declare all conferences equal, remove human polling.  This is easier because it doesnt require additional games and in theory any team could rise to the top.

Hybrid
Same as no playoff but with a +1, #4 v #1, and #2 v #3.  This improves access and only adds 1 game to the schedule.

Also. regarding conference structures, it would help if each conference set a goal of between 12-16 teams.  That way a mini-playoff at the conference championship could help weed out possible contenders.  A 16 team mega-conference would essentially be 2 Big Easts that generally dont play each other during the season except for the conference championship.  This is most ideal because it gives the most flexibility in OOC scheduling, thus allowing for strength of schedule to play a more important role.  The NCAA would manage the number of teams so that there wouldnt be stragglers, and only allowing teams to transition of there was a sufficient bloc for a new conference

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Playoffs vs BCS

FCS (former 1-AA) is moving to a 20 team system next year. It can be done. I have given my thoughts in other posts so I won't go into a lot here, but FCS has proven that it is a feasible and maybe more importantly a marketable system.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I have always thought that ten 12 team conferences (120 team limit), split 6 and 6 would work great. Then the conference play a championship and that winner gets to the "playoff". Give the top 4 ranked teams first round byes and use the existing bowls for the playoffs.
Back to the top

It makes too much sense to ever be implemented, and they know that a team like FAU might actually win the big kahuna….and that doesnt send money to the SEC's of the world now does it.

Someday maybe.

And yeh the FCS is legit because they show u can have like a 15 or 16 game season and it doesnt affect academics.  Just get ride of the damn bye weeks.  We all want more football right? Now whos with me?

Sidenote, anyone ever wonder what if we had won the national championship back in the day, what would that mean for the program.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: