Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

CMU scouting report from a chip fan

Greetings FAU fans! I look forward to playing your owls the 26th and shutting up all the fools who claim this game is going to be a bust!  Both teams appear to have high powered offenses which should make for an ineresting game.  As an act of good faith, heres a detailed evaluation of my chips to give you all a look at what you will be dealing with the 26th, enjoy!

QB:

Dan LeFevour is one of the best dual threat QBs in the country.  He is a three year starter for us and was the MAC freshman of the year in 2006 and MAC offensive player of the year in 2007.  He also earnedall conference first team honors both years and was the MAC championship MVP two years in a row and the 2006 MCB MVP.  He has been referred to as "Tim Tebow light" which should give some indication of the way he plays.  Last year, Dan became the second QB in NCAA history to pass for 3,000 yards and rush for 1,000 and was one rushing TD shy of joining Tebow in the 20/20 club.  This year he has been hampered by injury which has really impacted his stats and effectiveness, but should be completely healthy come the game.  Dan's strenghts are his ability to keep plays alive with his scrambling ability and his championship experience. His weaknesses are that at times, he tends to rush or overthrow passes.  This was evident in our last two games when Dan threw INTs on the game winning drives even though he played great the majority of the game.  Overall he is a fantastic spread option QB who will give almost any team fits if given enough time.  Our backup QB is Brian Brunner, a fifth year senior who played in three games this year when Dan was hurt.  Brunner led us to victories in our 3 biggest games this year,WMUhcoming vs. Temple, and Indiana.  He has a very strong arm, is very accurate, and will pick defenses apart.  If Dan gets hurt, Brunner is a very reliable backup.

RB:

This position has without a doubt been our weakness this year.  I think we have only had two games this year where a RB has gone over 100 yards.  We dont have a single RB that carries the whole load, we have RB by committee.  The incumbant starter is Ontario Sneed, a 4 year starter who has great speed, strength, and catching ability (he has numerous recieving TDs this year on screens).  Justin Hoskins is another senior RB who is relied on for a few tough carries a game.  He has been hampered by injury all year which has severely limited his PT, but can be effective if given the ball enough.  Out third threat is true freshman Brian Schroader.  He began carriying the load midway through the season logging over 100 yards agianst WMU, but has since faded with the reemergence of Sneed.  Another RB you might see is South Florida prospect Paris Cotton, another true freshman.

WR:

By far the strength of our offense, this group can put up points against almost any team in the country.  They are led by Junior Brian Anderson and sophomore (and also a South Florida guy) Antonio Brown.  Anderson is CMU's career leader in receptions and TD receptions and is a mismatch because of his size (6'5).  Brown is, to put it simply, pure lightening in a bottle.  The best comparison I can make with him is to Percy Harvin of UF in that they both are the all everything guys for their team.  Brown was a freshman all american KR/PR last year, at one point this year led the NCAA in punt return average, and is a 1st team all MAC KR/PR and WR.  He will definatley be the player to watch out for the most.  Our other WR threats are Kito Poblah and Joe Bockheim.  Poblah is emerging as our solid go to guy when BA and AB are doubled while Bockheim is a quality possession reciever.

OL:

This is an area that has been a dissapointment this year.  Going into the season, our line was projected to be one of the best in the MAC, but we have ended up giving up the most sacks in the MAC this year.  At times we struggle with our zone blocking scheme and have trouble containing fast edge rushers.  Our line has also been hurt with injuries this year as 3 of our 5 starters have missed time.  Overall, our line isnt terrible, but might struggle a bit with some of your better pass rushers.

DL:

This area has drastically improved since last year.  Our best linemen is 6'4, 260 pound DE Frank Zombo.  He leads the MAC in sacks this year with i think 11 and also leads in tackles for loss.  Our other DE, Sam Williams, is decent, but inconsistent as is a key reserve in Larry Knight.  Both have shown ability to get the QB, but not on a regular basis.  Our two interior linemen, Sean Murnane and Tredale Kennedy, are solid run stoppers and have the ability to get to the QB.  They are both undersized, but dont let that fool you because they make up for it with speed and strength.

LB:

This was the strenght of our D this year.  They are led by sophomore Nick Bellore who leads the team with over 130 tackles and registers 11 per game.  He is a beast of a run stopper and should be all over the field come the game.  Our other two starting LBs are matt Berning and Tim Brazzel.  Berning is a ferocious hitter who excells at stopping the run while Brazzel is more a drop back, cover LB for us.  This unit should play well the 26th.

Secondary:

Here is the the quagmire of our team.  Our secondary the past few years has been insanely riddled with injury and inconsistancy.  This year alone, we have had 5 DBs who would have either contributed or started miss time with injury.  Even when healthy, our secondary unit struggled with its consistency.  Probably the biggest threat here as of now is Josh Gordy who has great speed, but has been hurt on and off all year.  Another emerging DB is corner Taylor Bradley.  He is a converted WR who has great speed, but doesnt have the DB instinct yet.  Overall, your offense should take advantage of this unit unless our DL can pressure your QB.

I hope this helps you Owl fans to know what to look for come the MCB!

By the way, if I mispelled anything, I apologize.  I type too fast sometimes.lol
Back to the top

Re: CMU scouting report from a chip fan

How is your QB's ankle?
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

How is your QB's ankle?

Florida Owl, are you standing in line to place a wager? HA
Back to the top

arrohead said

Florida_Owl said

How is your QB's ankle?

Florida Owl, are you standing in line to place a wager? HA

No, not a gambler.

But word is he is in the same boat another spread option QB we faced was…just trying to get a guage of how mobile he is with the banged up ankle.
Back to the top

I'm a gambler lol but I'm not Pete Rose I won't bet on my own team although picking the over in this game may not be a bad idea… I expect CMU to be the favorites when the lines come out. My guess would be CMU - 6 (giving 6)

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

We have not seen a healthy LeFevour for most of the year and we are only speculating that he will be 100%. If he is 100%, you will know it by his mobility. He is a very good runner when he is healthy.
Back to the top

CMU scouting report from a chip fan

arrohead said

We have not seen a healthy LeFevour for most of the year and we are only speculating that he will be 100%. If he is 100%, you will know it by his mobility. He is a very good runner when he is healthy.

So i have heard…and that formulae gives us a major headache to stop.
Back to the top
Control functions: