Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What I've learned from this year

1. When the ball is in the air with less that seconds left, it is smart for the defender to bat the ball down.
  2. No matter how much you tell people to wear blue to the game, they will show up wearing something else far away from blue as possible
  3. NEVER LEAVE A GAME WITH 3 MINUTES LEFT AND YOU ARE DOWN BY 14
  4. 6th Street in Texas is Way overrated
  5. Girls in Texas and not overrated
  6. Stadium?  Stadium?  There is no Stadium?  What are you talking about Stadium? (Picture Jim Mora "Playoff" speech).
  7. Starting a business is tough
  8. Nobody really has a good source, just wait like everyone else and tune to ESPN to watch the ticker say we are going bowling.
  9. People are saying it colder in Detroit than in Florida
Back to the top

Re: What I've learned from this year

OWLUMNI said

1) When the ball is in the air with less that seconds left, it is smart for the defender to bat the ball down.

Wow, great list! My turn.

What I've learned this year:

- Incoming freshmen at the Athletics presentation of Orientation think the cheerleader chants (F-A-U-O-W-L-S-Florida-Atlantic-Let's Go!) are embarassingly lame but they like pretty much everything else about the Athletics presentation
- on-campus events like the Texas Bonfire can be AWESOME
- We lose to BCS teams for three reasons: 1) Special teams mistakes, 2) Our O-line can't give Rusty enough time and 3) We can't stop anybody who runs up the side (Colt McCoy was the first this season to expose this weakness, getting 10-20 yards on a QB sneak along the boundary)
- We caught Minnesota at a really great time last year
- Practicing in the pouring rain does not help us whatsoever
- If you ask the bookstore for something often enough, they'll get it (i.e. vinyl flags)
- Our fanbase is steadily growing and we should be able to sell out a 20k stadium come 2010 if that's all we get in 2010 (20k seats)… FAU should have a much better reputation among high school students in 2010
- The Marketing Department in Athletics puts up banners, updates their website and leaves reminders at the bookstore… but students don't really come out in good numbers to the game unless we make Facebook Events, put up banners and signs, SGA makes shirts… think about it… it's all grassroots
- FAU will call anything a "tradition", even if it's the first time it's being done
- The stadium would probably be on the backburner if it weren't for the persistence of President Brogan
- Drop Housler is the enigma of the team. How can someone be so bad and yet do so much good in a pinch?
- Lester Jean is not as good in games as he is in practice
- Tavious Polo may never be as good as he was in his freshmen year
- We are screwed without Nick Paris and Rusty Smith
- FIU will win the Shula Bowl next year
- The food at Dolphin Stadium still sucks
- If Omar Haugabook had completed his 4th down pass last year, we would very likely have lost, no SBC title, no bowl game last year (or THIS YEAR either since one of the main attractants for the Motor City people was our previous performance in a bowl game) and school spirit would still be low… another example (like MTSU's hail mary) where one pass could have made all the difference in the world
Back to the top

My turn:
- FAU is making me very proud.
- The team never gave up.
- Fans on this board jumped shipped and threatened to stop giving to the Owl Club when we started the season with one win and five loses. Will they be in Detroit? I'll welcome them back with open arms and an adult beverage.
- I live in Texas… and the marketing for FAU football has been a lot better. I can imagine what it would be like on campus.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

my turn;

1. WE LIKE TO BURN THINGS……how many bonfires did we have this year?
2.  Getting on the field at Texas was pretty easy…..having fun on it was even easier!
3.  Never schedule a wedding during football season
4.  Never marry into a family that likes to schedule events during football season
5.  Duffy's services sucks wherever you go
6.  Tattoo Needles dont really hurt that bad….and the school wont pay for an owl logo on ur back….
7.  Its just a little more fun to be DIRTY!!!!!
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

my turn;

1. WE LIKE TO BURN THINGS……how many bonfires did we have this year?
2.  Getting on the field at Texas was pretty easy…..having fun on it was even easier!
3.  Never schedule a wedding during football season
4.  Never marry into a family that likes to schedule events during football season
5.  Duffy's services sucks wherever you go
6.  Tattoo Needles dont really hurt that bad….and the school wont pay for an owl logo on ur back….
7.  Its just a little more fun to be DIRTY!!!!!

i am DEFINITELY showing kel this one

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

What I've learned from this year

i tell her that her family is against me enjoying collegiate sports!…….guess when the entire family is doing a XMAS party?????  Dec 13th……NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
Back to the top

1. Always remember to bring enough footballs.
2. When our receivers catch the ball we can be a scary team.
3. Having the #2 tackler in the nation doesn't necessarily mean having a good defense.
4. The SBC is a crap-shoot.
5. FAU actually has a running game.
6. A 1-5 start is not a reason to jump ship (this is directed at those who did).
7. We still aren't quite at the level of competing consistently with BCS programs.
8. Despite a rough start this year, Rusty has the potential to be a very good QB.
9. The FAU offense is not made for bad weather.
10. FIU is much improved.
11. North Texas is BAD.
12. FAU has heart.
13. Just when you think it is over Howard pulls another rabbit out of his hat.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

1. Frantz Joseph will become FAU's first draft pick.

2. Rusty Smith will have a comeback year in 2008.

3. Gametimes at 4pm are great. Late enough to enjoy 12 pm games and lunch at Hooter's, but early enough to get home to go out.

4. Overall attendance was surprising…..much better than I expected at several games.

5. I think this year, FAU will land its first 4 star recruit.

6. Hopefully we get a screen in our new stadium. Watching the replays at Dolphin Stadium are awesome.

7. FAU sure knows how to cook up a comeback.

8. I don't think either South Carolina nor Nebraska is "soft"

9. Can we actually say we are "loaded" at TE next year

10. Willie Rose is the most underrated player on our team. I think he has a chance to be on an NFL roster one day.

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Things Duder learned this year:

1.  Never Give Up!
2.  We experienced a lot of different emotions this season, but you have to stick it out, see #1 above.
3.  People like our "story", I got many new people to become fans this year.
4.  Buying your first house is a lot of work.
5.  Sometimes its better to be lucky than good
6.  There are FAU fans over here in Tampa
7.  I need to plan better so I can get to a FAU bowl game next year.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

I've got a few of my own:

1. Don't EVER bail on your team no matter how they perform during the season
2. Fairweather fans are not true OWLS
3. A solid, impenetrable defensive line wins games
4. Protect the quarterback in the pocket
5. Reduce the number of penalities per game
6. Reduce the number of yards allowed to the opposing team per game
7. Don't DROP a pass, catch it!!
8. Don't ever let another football hit one of our players in the head EVER AGAIN
9. Don't let success or failure get the best you

And, most important:

10. TO BELIEVE IS TO BE STRONG (more true this year than last year, in my opinion).
Back to the top
Control functions: