Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Article: Bowl fact vs. fallacy

Bowl fact vs. fallacy - College Football - Rivals.com

Florida Atlantic agreed to forego cash and accept as compensation some 16,000 tickets, the majority of which will go unsold – for the right to spend the holidays in Detroit. Merry Christmas, Owl fans! Your team will be playing Central Michigan on Dec. 26 at Ford Field and your school will be scrambling to stay out of debt.

If you thought Florida Atlantic’s deal with the Motor City Bowl was crazy, wait until you hear this: Angelos said he thinks the trip to Detroit could move a step closer to “the big payday.”

By that, he means a spot in a BCS bowl.
Back to the top

Re: Article: Bowl fact vs. fallacy

Lm77 said

Bowl fact vs. fallacy - College Football - Rivals.com

Florida Atlantic agreed to forego cash and accept as compensation some 16,000 tickets, the majority of which will go unsold – for the right to spend the holidays in Detroit. Merry Christmas, Owl fans! Your team will be playing Central Michigan on Dec. 26 at Ford Field and your school will be scrambling to stay out of debt.

If you thought Florida Atlantic’s deal with the Motor City Bowl was crazy, wait until you hear this: Angelos said he thinks the trip to Detroit could move a step closer to “the big payday.”

By that, he means a spot in a BCS bowl.

The 3+ Hours coverage of a bowl game is VERY worth it. Sucks we wont make any coingage but thats the price you pay. ALL the confrences will be scrambling in 2010 and lots of ups and downs will be happening. By going to back to back bowls and continueing to improve, we are placing our selves ahead of others as far as name recognition.

That will be invaluable.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Yeah so we're not going to make any money this year on the bowl game but I don't think you can put a price on the amount of publicity we will get being the only game on ESPN. Even if we don't win, the fact that we got to two bowl games in two seasons. All this and we haven't even been playing football for a decade. The more TV coverage we get and the more times we get to a bowl the better the recruits will come in. Yeah we won't get the # 1 QB or the # 1 WR anytime soon but we can get guys that make it work for us and help us improve.

The more negative comments that come out the more it's going to help us show the rest of the world that we are for real and we will continue to grow despite the naysayers

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

By the sounds of the article… it sounds like Angelos said "We'll sweeten the deal for you. Pick us! We won't take the $750,000 payout and only the revenue from tickets sold."

If I'm reading it like that…. I doubt that's the way it went down.

It was probably like… MCB: "listen Sun Belt. We're going to lose money by bringing you here if you don't sell 16,000 tickets. So like a good roommate… you'll pay half of everything. You keep what you sell."

Am I reading this wrong or did my oversimplified and trivial example make sense?

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Even if we don't make any money, if we put on a good game, and even win, that will be well worth it. People would see that we are a good football team and again, get us more notoriety nationally as well as help with recruits, especially those that CMU recruites from down here. We would be able to say "Why go all the way up there to play for a team that WE beat?"
Back to the top

Just read the whole article.

Interesting read, and guess what MORE exposure. FAU mentioned alot, pictures of Howard.

Cant buy this publicity, (oh wait you can, it was 16,666 tickets)  ;D

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Article: Bowl fact vs. fallacy

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really get the point of the article, other than "I'm a sports journalist and I have to publish something…..".  It is interesting to see how much money is really lost, not gained for bowl games, but I just don't think that the public really cares about that.  We did get a lot of advertising in that one, and thats what it's all about.  GO OWLS!, profits be damned! ;D

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

“I look at it that we’re paying our dues to move this program forward,” Angelos said. “And if we have to foot some of the (bowl) costs, that’s the way we’ll do it.”

Read the entire article. It's actually pretty good and the whole thing is basically about FAU and what we talk about on here

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

“I look at it that we’re paying our dues to move this program forward,” Angelos said. “And if we have to foot some of the (bowl) costs, that’s the way we’ll do it.”

Read the entire article. It's actually pretty good and the whole thing is basically about FAU and what we talk about on here

I 100% agree with paying for the exposure, but it means nothing if the stadium doesn't get built for 2010. Without the stadium none of this matters, without the stadium this program has no future.

Sorry to be negative but the truth is no stadium = no good recruits = fewer wins = fewer fans = less money = worse recruits and so on and so on.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

3hrs of primetime adversting? Priceless.

Go Owls!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: