Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Why we need a stadium quickly

Add topic

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/golf/story/820590.html

With its new non-conference schedule, FIU is the first Sun Belt team to exclusively schedule home-and-away games with BCS conference teams.

FIU can afford to drop the money games because of their new stadium. College football is becoming a race to bowl eligibility, and 6/7 wins are crucial. With more home games and fewer games against the elite teams in the country the path to consistent post-season appearances in the SBC becomes a lot clearer. It would be really nice to swap an away game at Nebraska with a home game vs. a MAC or CUSA team.

It's very difficult to be a winning team every year if you only play 4 out of 12 games at home.
Back to the top

Re: Why we need a stadium quickly

Lm77 said

It's very difficult to be a winning team every year if you only play 4 out of 12 games at home.

What is thier enrollment, and thus A&S fees received versus FAU?

I think that will shed some light on this and the ability to do it?
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Lm77 said

What is thier enrollment, and thus A&S fees received versus FAU?

I think that will shed some light on this and the ability to do it?

What do you think A&S fees have to do with athletics? A&S fees are for Student Government and Student Affairs. Athletics fees are something different…

And my understanding is that FAU is capped by the state at how much they can charge per credit hour for athletics.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

What do you think A&S fees have to do with athletics? A&S fees are for Student Government and Student Affairs. Athletics fees are something different…

Yeah, that's what i meant…Athletics fees…

Regardless, they have ALOT more coming in was my point…
Back to the top

And here you have it:

Athletic's Fees:

Florida International University……$455.30 per year, $227.65 per student per semester Florida International Fee Schedule

The fee is based on $14.51 per credit hour (at 15 hours) plus a per semester $10 Intercollegiate Athletics Fee. There is a currently a proposal being reviewed by the FIU Board of Regents that would raise the fee $1.46 per credit hour which would raise the athletic fee to $15.97 per credit hour ($249.55 per student per semester, or $499.10 per year)

Florida Atlantic University…..$412.50 per year, $206.25 per student per semester FAU Fee Increase

In 2005 Florida Atlantic Trustees saw the need to raise the athletics fee from $11.75 to $13.75 per credit after a student referendum failed that would have made FAU's athletics fee higher than several other Florida university's. After 3 years in the Sun Belt and the subsequent success of the athletic programs, there is a likelihood that an additional increase will soon be passed.

Enrollment Figures:

FIU - 38614 Students

FAU - 26857 Students

Do the math ;)
Back to the top

they can do the home-and-home-and-away-and-neutral-and-home-and-home all they want

they have payed division i football since 2002 and, furthermore, division i-a since 2006 and have NEVER had a winning season… never even had a .500 season

they can home-and-home all they want

Seasons .500 or better
FAU - 4 (out of 8 total seasons)
FIU - 0 (out of 7 total seasons)

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

Why we need a stadium quickly

True…

But they do have more cake tplay with…and that can help thier cause by having to not schedule teams that will keep them in that boat in the future…

Although i do love the stats us versus them! ;D

Let's Hope that continues!
Back to the top

Here's a question.

Will FAU increase their Fee's (comparable to FIU's) once we build the Stadium?  Money has to come from somewhere.
Back to the top

I don't know if FAU will be raising student fees for athletics, again. While most of us on this board see the benefit, the overall university may not.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

If other programs are higher, FIU for example, then that sets a precedent...and based on the FAU track record thus far, they would follow suite...
Back to the top
Control functions: