Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Bowl Game Thread: FAU vs CMU

Add topic

Bowl Game Thread: FAU vs CMU

Here is the game thread for today's Bowl game:

Links:
Radio Braodcast: FOX 640AM - FAU vs CMU, 7:15pm ET

FAU Radio Broadcast - FAU vs CMU, 7:15pm ET

Gametracker - FAU vs CMU, 7:30pm ET

And of course: TV Coverage - ESPN, 7:30pm ET
Back to the top

Re: Bowl Game Thread: FAU vs CMU

Here are my thoughts on this game.

I did get a chance to talk with defensive coordinator Hoza on Monday and had a good talk about the year struggles & the comments from Coach that Teddy printed in the SS.

My planned sit down with Rusty, did not happen  :'(

What about the Defense?
The game is hyped to be an offensive show down between two very good QB, featuring two teams that have not lived up to their pre-season forecast of repeating as conference champions, so this has been a disappointing type of season for both teams.

And both teams will be looking to finish on a high note, has all the making of a great match-up.

You also have two QB's that had down year compared to the previous season, both hampered by injuries.

Both defenses have struggled to stop anything that moves.

The similarities just keep coming and the biggest difference between these two teams are the head coaches.  You have an old school coach that has the seasoning of many years under his belt with many successes, bowl trips & a national championship and on the under sidelines you have an up and coming coach that has done a pretty darn good job with the Chippewas earning his own accolades & conference championships.

So what about the Owls Defense or lack there of.

Injuries has been a factor, but the most important deficiencies on the defensive front this year has been the lack of execution.  Throw in there the lack of discipline displayed by some of the players, which was heavily influenced from the accumulated frustrations from lack of execution and dissipating confidence levels from all the above.

You would expect much better from a unit that has so many seniors returning.  And throw in coaches comments about the defense performance or lack of - this might just be a motivational ploy from Schnelly to get his troops fired-up and play the way they are capable of.  I have always liked Hoza, he is a great guy that always takes the time to talk to you and reacted the way you would expect someone in his position.

I think Hoza has something to prove and his players will be put to the test or are they.  No one really expect much as far as a defensive type of game from either team, but the game will be won, by which defense makes more big plays defensively.  And I must give the edge to the Owls on this one, even with the inconsistencies on defense this season, they seemed to always make a BIG play that has turn games around, including the last game against FIU to allow Rusty to work his magic.  They found ways to dig deep and energize the team to victories on a 5-1 run to finish the season on a high note.

This is a unit that could have easily giving up with the rough start (1-5) to the season and found enough reasons to continue to fight for every inch and wins that brought this team to a return trip to a bowl game.  They managed to limit the mistakes and play good enough to turn the season around.

What we must do today, is execute - period.  How many times the players where in the right place, just couldn't make the tackle, resulting in a big play the other way.  This can not happen against any team that runs the spread offense.  And the Chippewa's QB LeFevour will prove to be a huge challenge for this defense to contain.

The defense has never been one do a lot of blitzes and tends to be more in keeping everything in front, not willing to give up the big plays.  This tends to allow teams to rack up the yardages, especially teams that run the spread, but somehow manages to be opportunistic in being in the right place giving them a chance to create turnovers.

So what should we look for

The defense will probably be over matched, but will need to win the turnover battle and make enough BIG plays to slow down the Chippewas offense once in the red zone.

The play of special team could very well be THE determining factor for either teams, winning this part of the game could mean the difference and defines who ends up on top.

On offense, protect the ball and being able to establish the running game early.  Establishing the run and being able to sustain drive, will be a big key in helping to keep LeFevour off the gridiron, longer he sits on the sidelines, the less damage he can inflect.

The way I look at it
This is a team that has been given a second chance.  This is also a team that could have pack-up camp looking forward to next spring, but dug deep to continue to fight to finish strong.  This tell you about the type of players on this team, sure you would expect them to be disappointed with their performance (or lack of), especially at the beginning.  I look at how they chose to finish - STRONG.  They chose to continue to battle for every inch and each one proved to be difficult to get, managing to claw their way to a bowl game.  I look for this team to give Owl fans nothing but their best  effort, the question will be, will it be good enough, sometimes the other team is just better.
Back to the top

are you in detroit, bytor?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

owl09 said

are you in detroit, bytor?

No, could not make the trip.  Between work (Had to work Wed.) & $$$ - had to use the $$ I saved for a possible Bowl trip for other expenditure  :'(

And I am kind of glad I got to stay home (blessing in disguise), I will be able to catch up on the many many many things I have fallen behind on.
Back to the top

Sloppy start

But what an INT by Brantely (spelling??)
Back to the top

Aw retracted the touchdown…  :-X

FLORIDAATLANTIC[br]U N I V E R S I T Y
Back to the top

The Owls strike first - woo hoo

Back to the top

Wooo after a sloppy first possession our offense is pretty effective, and thats a good sign that it doesnt take us 3 downs to convert a 1 and goal.

FLORIDAATLANTIC[br]U N I V E R S I T Y
Back to the top

Our run defense sucks.
Back to the top

Where not doing much on offense - forcing things a bit

Whew held them to 3
Back to the top
Control functions: