Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Over 50000 tickets sold to the MCB

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grpress/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/123029550832750.xml&coll=6

"We'll be over 50,000, but we won't hit 60(000)," Hoffman said.

I believe the latest reports had FAU selling around 2500 tickets, about 1000 more than for New Orleans.
Back to the top

Re: Over 50000 tickets sold to the MCB

:o

"There is a very good possibility some of the bowls struggling up to now …. a year like this will put them over the edge," Hoffman said. "This is the year some might say, 'That's it.' "

Hopefully, it's not the New Orleans Bowl or we lose our only tie-in & the next time in the near future the Bowl committee re-negotiate the contract with the SBC.
Back to the top

As it stands, the New Orleans Bowl likely will not be first on the chopping block. The game drew over 30,000, its largest crowd ever, for the Southern Miss/Troy matchup.

Meanwhile, the New Mexico Bowl failed to hit the magic 25,000 attendance number, meaning they will have to face recertification in 2009. This was a big blow to the game as this also was the first year that they didn't have the hometown Lobos playing.

Also, the new St. Petersburg Bowl barely broke 25,000 in attendance, and that was with the hometown USF Bulls playing in the game.
Back to the top

Nicademus5286 said

Also, the new St. Petersburg Bowl barely broke 25,000 in attendance, and that was with the hometown USF Bulls playing in the game.

Wow… did not see that coming. They had a decent season.

Back to the top

Rumor is the GMAC will be folding. I think we will see 3-4 bowls go down in the next 2-3 years. GMAC, St. Pete, New Mexico, and maybe one more. I think 1-2 new ones will spring up. Possibly both of them in Florida.
New Orleans should be safe for now.
Back to the top

st. pete is not folding anytime soon

USF is a program that is on the rise… and with a Big East tie-in, they are a lock to go there 85-90% of the time… the USF fan base is still growing and more and more USF fans will be at the st. pete bowl in the years to come

as for more bowls… are you serious? it needs to stop… 34 bowls is ridiculous and only will get smaller, and not bigger

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

chanman said

Rumor is the GMAC will be folding. I think we will see 3-4 bowls go down in the next 2-3 years. GMAC, St. Pete, New Mexico, and maybe one more. I think 1-2 new ones will spring up. Possibly both of them in Florida.

Hadn't heard that the GMAC Bowl would be folding and I'd be surprised if it did…they've done well for themselves having the conference ties they do. The game's contract with the MAC ends after this season, and officials have been adamant that they want a BCS conference tie for their game. The ACC has been rumored as a possible tie-in for the game, as the ACC is ending its deal with the Humanitarian Bowl after this season.
Back to the top

owl09 said

USF is a program that is on the rise… and with a Big East tie-in, they are a lock to go there 85-90% of the time… the USF fan base is still growing and more and more USF fans will be at the st. pete bowl in the years to come

as for more bowls… are you serious? it needs to stop… 34 bowls is ridiculous and only will get smaller, and not bigger

St. Pete bowl sold 25k tickets at $30 a piece. That is 750k. They paid out over $2 million to the participants. Plus rental fees and the like. They lost a lot of money and that is with a school right down the road in it that returned some of their allotment. That is a very bad sign.
At the least the payout is going to be greatly reduced.
Back to the top

chanman said

owl09 said

St. Pete bowl sold 25k tickets at $30 a piece. That is 750k. They paid out over $2 million to the participants. Plus rental fees and the like. They lost a lot of money and that is with a school right down the road in it that returned some of their allotment. That is a very bad sign.
At the least the payout is going to be greatly reduced.

I don't think that is correct. Don't the teams get paid by the number of tickets they sell?
Back to the top

Over 50000 tickets sold to the MCB

Nicademus5286 said

chanman said

Hadn't heard that the GMAC Bowl would be folding and I'd be surprised if it did…they've done well for themselves having the conference ties they do. The game's contract with the MAC ends after this season, and officials have been adamant that they want a BCS conference tie for their game. The ACC has been rumored as a possible tie-in for the game, as the ACC is ending its deal with the Humanitarian Bowl after this season.

I think the SBC will try and pick up the GMAC bowl, especially with USA joining the league.
Back to the top
Control functions: