Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SunBeltBowls

I hope the Belt looks into legal action against the Independence and PapaJohns.com bowls for their reprehensible actions in passing over their Belt obligations to choose undeserving teams.
Neither team chosen had better records than the Belt bowl eligible teams and it is fitting that they (N.C. State and Northern Illinois) both LOST!!! The loss of massive additional income from $350K up to $1.65M ($1.3M!), exposure for the conference and the teams, and simply the fact that they were apparently "misled" in both of the bowl/conference agreements make the Belt look foolish if not inept and naive to the rest of the bowl community.
We will never get any respect if we lie down for this. As a parent and coach, you must ALWAYS fight for your family or team and players! And in the form of future recruiting, what respect should a player show ANY of our teams if their is little actual chance of getting to go to a bowl game, let alone compete for the national championship.
Back to the top

Re: SunBeltBowls

GeorgiaOwl said

I hope the Belt looks into legal action against the Independence and PapaJohns.com bowls for their reprehensible actions in passing over their Belt obligations to choose undeserving teams.
Neither team chosen had better records than the Belt bowl eligible teams and it is fitting that they (N.C. State and Northern Illinois) both LOST!!! The loss of massive additional income from $350K up to $1.65M ($1.3M!), exposure for the conference and the teams, and simply the fact that they were apparently "misled" in both of the bowl/conference agreements make the Belt look foolish if not inept and naive to the rest of the bowl community.
We will never get any respect if we lie down for this. As a parent and coach, you must ALWAYS fight for your family or team and players! And in the form of future recruiting, what respect should a player show ANY of our teams if their is little actual chance of getting to go to a bowl game, let alone compete for the national championship.

Out of these 2, I think that independece REALLY screwed up. NOT taking ULL, which is IN State and would of kept any money made in the state of LA was just plain DUMB!

Supposedly the legislature for LA is looking at the subsidizing it does for this bowl and may pull that from it next year. That game could of been SO much better in terms of fan attendance, excitement, and profits. Taking NIU was a joke and a real slap at the belt and ULL.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

completely disagree

while it sucks that the Belt was left out, the Independence Bowl already took LOUISIANA TECH (which people are conveniently forgetting is in the state of LOUISIANA, as well)

why would they want a LOUISIANA TECH vs. LOUISIANA LAFAYETTE? talk about NO national coverage… while NONE of the matchups are anything for someone in Bristol, CT to go crazy over, picking a LOUISIANA vs. LOUISIANA game is exciting for ONE state, that's IT

you gotta look at the big picture, not just the sun belt perspective… that's why they picked NIU

as for "legal action" give me a break… this is a business, they wanted to entice another fan base from another state and did what they though necessary for the most exciting game possible given the pool of all mediocre mid major teams… legal action, schmegal action

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

owl09 said

completely disagree

while it sucks that the Belt was left out, the Independence Bowl already took LOUISIANA TECH (which people are conveniently forgetting is in the state of LOUISIANA, as well)

why would they want a LOUISIANA TECH vs. LOUISIANA LAFAYETTE? talk about NO national coverage… while NONE of the matchups are anything for someone in Bristol, CT to go crazy over, picking a LOUISIANA vs. LOUISIANA game is exciting for ONE state, that's IT

you gotta look at the big picture, not just the sun belt perspective… that's why they picked NIU

as for "legal action" give me a break… this is a business, they wanted to entice another fan base from another state and did what they though necessary for the most exciting game possible given the pool of all mediocre mid major teams… legal action, schmegal action

I dont know, Its not like NIU has a HUGE follwoing or would of generated more TV revenue then ULL-LaTech would of.

It think the ofset in Ticket sales would of been better for the bowl and TV viewing. I think it would of come off as a rivalry game to any potential viewers, and most football fans know that those can be intense.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

and, while we're at it, if you're going to keep giving me the bait, i'll keep biting….

the PapaJohns.com Bowl:

honestly, take your emotions out of it and the fact that you are a SUN BELT fan and think about it…

you're on the committee for the papajohns.com bowl… which team do you want in YOUR bowl?

N.C. State
Conference: ACC
Stadium: 58,000
Key wins: vs. #24 Wake Forest, vs. #15 East Carolina
University Endowment: $500 million

Arkansas State
Conference: Sun Belt
Stadium: 31,000
Key wins: vs. Texas A&M, vs. Florida Atlantic
University Endowment: $30 million

please… it's a no-brainer… we're all Sun Belt fans, so we're biased… the facts are facts… NC STATE travels better than ANY Sun Belt team, obviously…

1983 basketball championship, Jim Valvano, Philip Rivers… they're school has history, the sun belt has……… ?? (someone help me out)

Back to the top

SunBeltBowls

The Sun Belt has owl09

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owl09 said

and, while we're at it, if you're going to keep giving me the bait, i'll keep biting….

the PapaJohns.com Bowl:

honestly, take your emotions out of it and the fact that you are a SUN BELT fan and think about it…

you're on the committee for the papajohns.com bowl… which team do you want in YOUR bowl?

N.C. State

Arkansas State

please… it's a no-brainer… we're all Sun Belt fans, so we're biased… the facts are facts… NC STATE travels better than ANY Sun Belt team, obviously…

1983 basketball championship, Jim Valvano, Philip Rivers… they're school has history, the sun belt has……… ?? (someone help me out)

The Sun Belt has… Howard Schnellenbeger, Osi Umenyora, DeMarcus Ware. There's obviously more than just those guys. You can't compare a school that has been around 100 years and is in the ACC to a school in the Sun Belt and has been around for 45 years

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

owl09 said

the PapaJohns.com Bowl:

N.C. State

Arkansas State

The Sun Belt has… Howard Schnellenbeger, Osi Umenyora, DeMarcus Ware. There's obviously more than just those guys. You can't compare a school that has been around 100 years and is in the ACC to a school in the Sun Belt and has been around for 45 years

jab:

that's exactly my point… when the Papajohns.com Bowl looked teams they could take, they went with the ACC school that has been around 100 years

we know there is good football being played at ALL levels in D-I, including the Belt

but, as howard even said a couple years back: "people don't know how young we are, and, frankly, they don't care to learn, either"

same is true for the Belt all around

Back to the top

Can't really argue with that. Bowl games is a business they're going to take a team people know. Honestly no one cares much about the Motor City Bowl. Now if NC State and Ball State who was undefeated were playing in that game then it may generate a lot more interest.

owl09 and I were even saying during the game when it had the abbreviation for FAU as FlAtl someone in the middle of the country is probably thinking FLAtl? Florida Atlanta? There's a Florida Atlanta. It's sad but it's true. Some redneck in the middle of Iowa watching the game who doesn't know much about college sports has NO IDEA who the hell Florida Atlantic is and when he sees FlAtl his first thought was probably some no name school in Florida Atlanta who made it to a bowl game. Maybe he watched a few minutes then turned it off. If it was a school like Duke or Nc State then he would watch but he would say oh NC State I know them

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I totally agree that N.C. State is bigger and better known. But what is the point of an agreement between a bowl and a conference if it is simply going to be ignored. As said before, it is a business decision and all business decisions have consequences, included being sued for breach of contract and lost income, etc…
If the belt does not stand up for itself now, it will be a joke forever to the bowl community. These team will never become known nationally sitting at home while the all powerful MAC very possibly goes 0-fer in it's FIVE bowls! The mac is making some 4.1 M from theirs while the Belt gets 325K for the NO bowl and ??? from the Motor City.
Bottom line, if you like to get shit on, ignored and laughed at, be a Belt member!
Back to the top
Control functions: