Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If 12-0 Utah can not get noticed, what about little ol' FAU...

Interesting Story on 12-0 Utah that makes some fine points that are the same problems FAU could run into the future.

Utah out of sight, out of mind - College Football - Rivals.com
Back to the top

Re: If 12-0 Utah can not get noticed, what about little ol' FAU...

Very interesting story.

I actually like the BCS. I don't know why, and given all it's fallacies, I really don't know why I like it LOL. But I think the uncertainty plays into it. I like mystery.

And in a playoff structure, every game, week in and week out, wouldn't mean as much as it does in the current BCS.

Bottom line is in a playoff system, as most suggest, if you take the conference champs, what do you do with the second place teams? Teams that would have been left out if you take only first place teams include BYU, TCU, Boise St, Texas Tech, Texas, Alabama.

If you take first and second place teams…then you'll have more than 16 teams and that would drag out the playoffs far too long.

There's no perfect way to do football. Basketball you can do two or three games in the same venue on the same day. Football… ya can't really do that and it's a lot more money to travel a football team than a basketball team.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

If 12-0 Utah can not get noticed, what about little ol' FAU...

I think the conference champ of each conference, which is 11 teams, plus 5 at large bids that give some of the better 2nd placers in the conference a shot too. # 1 seed Florida would play #16 seed troy and so on down the lines. Total of 4 games.

Doesn't matter though, don't see it changing anytime. Just sucks for the teams like Utah that have proven themselves.

But yes, good article.
Back to the top

But another problem with utah is the fact that they are in utah east coast team will always get more press then west coast teams let alone utah.
Back to the top

The BCS's biggest problem isn't a lack of a playoff its a lack of ideological consistency for all teams.  People might think that South Carolina is naturally better than FAU, and they may be right alot of the time, but we need a system that doesn't have the same blinders as the people.

Something has got to give.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Utah is being screwed as is EVERY non BCS conference school.

Make all conferences 12 teams with two divisions, and play a conference championship game. Only the 12 conference champions get in and the top four ranked teams get first round byes. Pretty simple to me and you can even make it part of the current bowl game setup. Teams going to the other bowls would be the the NIT in basketball, a post season reward for their good seasons.

P.S. - as to those who have strongly stated that 6-6 teams like FAU don't deserve to go to a bowl, this years nine (9) teams went 6-3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And none against other 6-6 teams, in fact with an average record of 8-4. Not to shabby!
Back to the top

Even more to it…

Utah’s attorney general is investigating the Bowl Championship Series for a possible violation of federal antitrust laws after an undefeated Utes team was left out of the national title game for the second time in five years…

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-bcs-utahlawsuit&prov=ap&type=lgns

…“It’s not about bragging rights. It’s a multimillion dollar—hundreds of millions—business where the BCS schools get richer and non-BCS get poorer,” Shurtleff said.

Back to the top

I don't think the attorney general has jurisdiction. I'm not a lawyer though.

It's probably more of a media thing for him to stand up behind a podium and say "we got screwed!" (which Utah kinda did, but besides the point."

His video bio says….
"As Utah's Attorney General … main focus… protect Utahns, especially children… meth labs…drug dealers…fighting internet predators…amber alert…" He'll have to add… "fighting the BCS" LOL

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

ANY of the 50 state attorney generals (or the US attorney general) has jurisdiction over this……………

IF

he can prove that the BCS violates the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890, which made monopolies and conspiracy to create cartels illegal

that is exactly what he said he plans on doing…he wants to tie the BCS to breaching the Sherman Antitrust Act

and i say…

ALL THE POWER TO HIM

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

NCowl said

Even more to it…

Utah’s attorney general is investigating the Bowl Championship Series for a possible violation of federal antitrust laws after an undefeated Utes team was left out of the national title game for the second time in five years…

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-bcs-utahlawsuit&prov=ap&type=lgns

…“It’s not about bragging rights. It’s a multimillion dollar—hundreds of millions—business where the BCS schools get richer and non-BCS get poorer,” Shurtleff said.

f*** yeah, get 'em!
Back to the top
Control functions: