Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New Recreation Center and Gym

Add topic

Just finished my work out!  This Gym is amazing.  The best thing to happen to FAU for everyone.  As a staff member I hope that everyone that works at FAU becomes a member.  My compliments go out to the Campus Recreation staff for all their hard work.
Back to the top

Re: New Recreation Center and Gym

You Workout!?! :o

Build Tradition
Tell someone "GO OWLS!"
Back to the top

yea i went there yesterday its state of the art :o
Back to the top

New Recreation Center and Gym

I had to stop by it and marvel  :o
I've been to a few other campuses - UF, FSU, GWU - and one thing they all had in common was a high quality of student involvement in relation to what can be done on campus. The new gym adds to what FAU has done over the last few years and it creates a whole new atmosphere for students. I have no doubt that a student who may have gone somewhere else will now choose FAU, just as a matter of what they see going on around the school.  Not to mention it provides more on-campus job opportunities for students.
Back to the top

The new gym is amazing. It's also very popular… there were hundreds of students there yesterday and Campus Rec was surprised because there was zero marketing done for it.

I remember two (?) years ago when I was talking to some of the people in SGA who approved this and I was a little jaded because I felt like, we already had a gym, let's build something we don't have. I was so wrong. The new place is awesome and when the second phase it done, it will undoubtedly be a key selling point of the school. When you're at the end of the plaza there by the new Rec center, look across Lee Street and imagine Innovation Village over there and the students pouring in from the dorms there.

It's going to be incredible. And when that's done, the Director of Campus Rec wants to have Adventure Camp-esque programs (off-campus hiking/canoeing/snorkeling trips) and some sort of complex that would have a place to rollerskate, play tennis, etc

I hope all the undergrads continue to get involved. We need student leaders and a strong SGA in place to go up to Campus Rec and the Architect and the BOT to say, look, build us X, Y, and Z. Build us Greek Housing. Build us a bowling alley. Build us a big game room in the Student Union. Build us a video store so we can rent movies on campus. Build a second story on the bookstore (did you know it was designed so they can add more floors?)

Isn't that how we got a Starbucks, the new 24-hour study hall, the volleyball pit and banners along Lee Street? If people dream big and can convince someone that it's money worth spending, this university can grow by leaps and bounds. There are a lot of great opportunities still unexplored at FAU.

Back to the top

The adventure programs were part of Campus Recreation when I first started. Hopefully they will bring them back.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

The adventure programs were part of Campus Recreation when I first started. Hopefully they will bring them back.

Yeah, I heard they had an archery range and a game room too.

As these things rise and fall in popularity, they get phased out.

I remember visiting friends in the Student Apartments and seeing flyers from SGA about a snorkeling trip to the keys. I know people who tried to get in on that and it was full. I wonder why they haven't revived it…
Back to the top

Marshall Sklar was in charge of the dive club when those events would take place. Everyone should know Marshall… when he was a student… he started Tuesday Night club night at Murphy's and Friday Nights at Crabby Jack's, among other things such as "booze cruises."

The "adventure pursuits" are great for alternative vacations (such as alternative spring break), but they need a staff person dedicated to the delicate planning of these types of things. And right now, FAU Campus Recreation is growing soooo quickly, I don't know if they can dedicate a staff person solely to that.

I hope eventually, those programs and trips come back. They really help with retention and student activity on campus. Especially living in Florida, there could be camping trips, fishing trips, snorkeling, "historic" tour trips, etc.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

Is the independant movie theater still scheduled to go up? I don't remember the name of the company contributing.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

As far as I know it is. I haven't heard anything about it being canceled. In fact, I remember reading an e-mail or article or something a few months ago talking about the theater coming on board.

Back to the top
Control functions: