Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UM got competition?

I took this from the Miami Herald,

"Something I have not seen written in the sports media circles, especially locally (Herald / Sentinel) is the impact and emergence of 2 large Florida schools in FAU and FIU ? What will be the net effect in 5 - 10 years on the progress of U of M rebuilding it's program to compete year in year out with the Top 10 schools.

I read this blog and have great admiration for the passion expressed here. So many Hurricane fans are convinced that Shannon and Miami will return to glory. However, the fact of the matter is that (2) recruiting cycles will have passed and the CANEs have not seen a BCS game.

No doubt that the recruiting classes have been impressive as of late, and this season looks awesome too…but these kids need to be coached and prepared to win games.

FAU has clearly shown steady and consistent growth - 2 bowl wins against Memphis and Central Michigan. Howard has worked with 2 star kids and your seldom sleeper gem that emerges like a Frantz Joseph or Jervonte Jackson.

FIU and Cristobal are really embarking on year 3 and not year 8. The prior handlers under Don Strock left that program in shambles. Mario has clearly shown the ability to recruit at a high level, learn from mistakes - which improves game preparation and has upgraded the coaching staff with a BIG 10 O-coordinator that was the unsung hero (Bill Legg) last season. From 1 win to 5 wins and an onside kick and false start away from 7 wins.

FAU will be constructing their on campus stadium soon, finally cementing their program to their community (students, staff, alumni.

FIU will most likely get private funding from soccer giants FC Barcelona and local billionaire Marcelo Claure once the MLS team in Miami is approved to complete the lower bowl, adding further luxury suites and additonal press boxes and other amentities…

What I see is progress by FIU and FAU. As a grad of a small private school in Central Florida and newbie to the Miami area, I'm curious to know if the University of Miami can replicate the success of the late 80s and early 90s ??

The competition for recruits and a solid fan base may be at the core of the U's mediocrity. With more kids taking a chance to play at least 3 or 4 years at UCF, USF, FAU and FIU, the allure of an average Miami football program and under-achieving ACC conference…. kids can still play high caliber opponents elsewhere.

The haters can blame it all on coach Shannon or poor offensive play calling or Larry Coker for that matter. Notre Dame can go 0 - 12 but still get top rated recruting classes every year… What has that gotten them in the last 8 years ?

The Owls and Golden Panthers are not going anywhere and if they do go somewhere it's to a NEW conference in the next 5 years.

I'll await the Category 5 fury of blind allegiance in your responses…

Posted by: Dah U got competition | January 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I posted this over on the UM blog, wondering if you all think I am way off base. Newbie to the area but college football junkie. Good luck next season !!

Posted by: Dah U got competition | January 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM"
Back to the top

Re: UM got competition?

AlexFAU06 said

"FIU will most likely get private funding from soccer giants FC Barcelona and local billionaire Marcelo Claure once the MLS team in Miami is approved to complete the lower bowl, adding further luxury suites and additonal press boxes and other amentities…"

Interesting thought for FIU…any of the FIU faithful care to weigh in on this?

The Lockhart curse for FAU - a "hand me down" delopidated stadium in the Fort Lauderdale wharehouse district that used to be an MLS (rennovated) venue…and now our chief rival (despite what others think mostly) has a front end Blessing potentially in the same genre; but with a much better soccer market (to draw attention from the investor) and location…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

AlexFAU06 said

"FIU will most likely get private funding from soccer giants FC Barcelona and local billionaire Marcelo Claure once the MLS team in Miami is approved to complete the lower bowl, adding further luxury suites and additonal press boxes and other amentities…"

Interesting thought for FIU…any of the FIU faithful care to weigh in on this?

The Soccer expansion for this round of MLS Expansion is supposed to be for the 2011 season.  However, the joint ownwership of FC Barcelona and Marcelo Claure and his Brighstar Communications empire will ONLY bid to start playing a year earlier in 2010.  If the team is selected, there is already agreements between FC Barcelona and FIU for yearly donations for Medical School and/or College of Business, from what I've heard.  Also, there are a lot of rumors, and things I've heard…about Barcelona's desire to make The Cage as "complete" as possible soon.  Actually, the team, it is expected by many, will have to "build" their offices at FIU Stadium, more than likely on top of the new FIU Fieldhouse adjacent to the East Endzone.

Besides, since the North facade is not expected to be finished until 2011 season (with no help from other sources), there will be no 'adequate' press boxes and additional suites until the North side is not finished.  Thus, many people I've spoken with believe there is a good chance that, if selected, the Barcelona-Miami club will, one way or another, try to have that finished before their inaugural season…and/or enhanced for 2011….
Back to the top

SON OF A…..

FIU is hitting all the right buttons.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

They just happen to be in the right place for it, Miami should draw a much better crowd for MLS so long as they stock the team with a few key people.

If we built a massive Bingo hall that could be used by our basketball team on off nights, we'd probably have additional funding by our community too!
Back to the top

I think you have to give credit, IF it happens, to Pete Garcia (FIU AD)and FIU administrators to think about this well in advance this amazing opportunity arose.  They reconfigured the stadium to accomodate soccer width and length into the original designs, including seating arrangement, and replacing the turf with the only one (or the best one?) suited for Soccer under FIFA regulations, which is very strict. 
Back to the top

Full Props to FIU.

They took the bull by the horns on thier stadium.

If only our AD and BOT had the foresight we wouldnt be stuck at lockhart.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

UM got competition?

owlfamily said

Our AD and BOT has the foresight

But doesn't have $20 million to build it.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

owlfamily said

Our AD and BOT has the foresight

But doesn't have $20 million to build it.

Cmon now smitty.

We started our football program YEARS before FIU. Yet somehow they got thier stadium built ahead of us?

FAU Admin just didnt seem to have the same urgency to get it done that FIU did. No reason why we shouldnt of had something up before them. They got comfortable having a Facility to play in and didnt push. Now its almost too late and were paying the price in recruiting and image.

If this thing doesnt get in place by 2010, FIU WILL jump ahead of us. Only so much HS can do with coaching to stay ahead. The facilites need to be in place too.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Years before? One year

They had a stadium there already, waiting for them when they first started.
Back to the top
Control functions: