Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Should FAU Purchase MCB Rings for the Players?

Yes - Budget Money
Yes - Donor Money
No

You must select between 1 and 43 options

I just found this out….and maybe most of you know this already or maybe you don't, but according to a Sun-Sentinel report, published on Jan. 7, 2009, FAU football players on the winning Motor City Bowl team will not receive championship rings unless funds are raised.

" It is a game of the haves and have nots, and Florida is one of the HAVES, with an athletic budget of $98 million. FAU’s budget? $14.4 mill.That is why FAU can’t afford Motor City Bowl rings at the moment and will be trying to raise funds to pay for them. So for now the Owls will have to be content with the watch, football and book bag they got in Detroit."

So does anyone know if FAU or the Alumni Association is currently doing anything to raise these funds?

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Re: Should FAU Purchase MCB Rings for the Players?

This was debated at some legnth on Ted Hutton's blog.

Good job though of bringing it to this message board. More people will probably see it and want to help raise funds.  ;D

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

you get rings for winning CHAMPIONSHIPS

a conference championship
a national championship

i don't KNOW this for sure, but i can probably promise that Florida State did not get Champs Sports Bowl rings… and i CERTAINLY would bet that Southern Miss did not get New Orleans Bowl rings

we had 2007 rings… Sun Belt Conference Champions / New Orleans Bowl rings… they were not NO Bowl rings…

i think it's ridiculous if FAU caves in on this… we won a game that was on ESPN… a glorified end of the season game… it's not a championship

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

In all honesty if Rings are part of the bowl deal (Like New Orleans bowl, Its built in) then I dont feel there should be extra effort made to secure them.

There were gifts, and while not the greatest, Im sure they were appreciated.

Id rather that money go into Owl Club or Stadium Donations. Then it would be put to a use that benefits the entire program.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

smittysahoot said

This was debated at some legnth on Ted Hutton's blog.

Good job though of bringing it to this message board. More people will probably see it and want to help raise funds.  ;D

Been discussed behind the scenes in PM land ad finitem…

But why not hash it out herein as well…

I'll post a poll… :)

Back to the top

I agree.

And while players may enjoy and deserve a ring… they can't get hung up on materialistic things.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

Please cast your ballot!
Back to the top

Make sure the poll includes something along the lines of…

"HOW WILL WE PAY FOR THE RINGS?"

A) TAKE IT OUT OF SCHOLARSHIP MONEY
B) ASK DONORS TO PONY UP THE DOUGH…. AGAIN…
C) ASK PLAYERS TO PAY FOR THEM
D) FIND THE MONEY IN THE ATHLETICS DEPARTMENTS BUDGET AND CUT THE OTHER SPORTS

lol

But I do think the funding would add a nice twist to the poll… and maybe get some logical thought along with it - as opposed to some people just saying/voting YES for rings while not thinking it could cost in upwards of $15k

Back to the top

I'd be interested to see where the budget would be cut to afford rings…. when we couldnt afford to bring a full spirit squad or band to the bowl game….

Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Make sure the poll includes something along the lines of…

"HOW WILL WE PAY FOR THE RINGS?"

A) TAKE IT OUT OF SCHOLARSHIP MONEY
B) ASK DONORS TO PONY UP THE DOUGH…. AGAIN…
C) ASK PLAYERS TO PAY FOR THEM
D) FIND THE MONEY IN THE ATHLETICS DEPARTMENTS BUDGET AND CUT THE OTHER SPORTS

lol

But I do think the funding would add a nice twist to the poll… and maybe get some logical thought along with it - as opposed to some people just saying/voting YES for rings while not thinking it could cost in upwards of $15k

Already done…and yes, it is along those lines :)
Back to the top
Control functions: