Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

PETA Asks PBAU To Change Mascot Name to "Sea Kittens"

Add topic

PETA Asks PBAU To Change Mascot Name
Letter To President Urges School To Change Sailfish Mascot To Sea Kitten
POSTED: 4:00 pm EST January 14, 2009

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. – The animal-rights organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is asking Palm Beach Atlantic University to change the name of its athletic mascot.

In a letter sent Wednesday to PBAU President Dr. David Clark, PETA urged the school to change its mascot from the Sailfish to Sea Kitten "to reflect the gentle nature of its current marine namesake."
The suggested name change is meant to promote empathy for fish and other marine animals, PETA said in a news release. "If Sailfish became Sea Kitten and everyone in town started calling fish sea kittens, fewer of these gentle animals would be violently killed for food, painfully hooked for sport or cruelly confined to aquariums," said PETA's "Save the Sea Kittens" campaign coordinator Ashley Byrne. "Colleges strive for achievements in academics and sports, so why not add compassion to the list?"

A PBAU spokeswoman said the school would not comment about such a "ridiculous" request.

Back to the top

Re: PETA Asks PBAU To Change Mascot Name to "Sea Kittens"

I'd reply with: "Dear, PETA.  Thank you for your concern and quite humorous request.  In fact, it was SO funny that I nearly choked on my piece of sirloin I was currently eating.  Luckily, I like my meat medium-rare so it went down much easier."
Back to the top

UCFKnight85 said

I'd reply with: "Dear, PETA.  Thank you for your concern and quite humorous request.  In fact, it was SO funny that I nearly choked on my piece of sirloin I was currently eating.  Luckily, I like my meat medium-rare so it went down much easier."

;D
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

The suggested name change is meant to promote empathy for fish and other marine animals, PETA said in a news release. "If Sailfish became Sea Kitten and everyone in town started calling fish sea kittens, fewer of these gentle animals would be violently killed for food, painfully hooked for sport or cruelly confined to aquariums," said PETA's "Save the Sea Kittens" campaign coordinator Ashley Byrne. "Colleges strive for achievements in academics and sports, so why not add compassion to the list?"

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Back to the top

UCFKnight85 said

LMFAO!! My thoughts exactly

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

UCFKnight85 said

Don't forget to finish it off with " While I was choking, I spilt my wine, so I wiped it up with my freshly harvested baby harp seal napkin, and then finished my manatee burger".

What was that old saying "Vegetarian - Indian word for bad hunter" ;D

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

i dunno its pretty impressive!

Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

Nice!

I move we send this to PBAU…So they may send an appropriate response to Peta's request!
Back to the top

PETA Asks PBAU To Change Mascot Name to "Sea Kittens"

Florida_Owl said

Nunzio42 said

Nice!

I move we send this to PBAU…So they may send an appropriate response to Peta's request!

i second
Back to the top

I thought this was a bad joke when I saw the title.

You know, PETA does some good things, but then they totally lose credibility with crap like this.  I mean, do they seriously expect anybody to say "hey, that's a good idea!"?  And if not, then what's the point?  Some head-scratching PR stunt?
Back to the top
Control functions: