Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Indoor Track Season set to Start

Add topic

Back to the top

Re: Indoor Track Season set to Start

We need the track program to start spreading its wings and get more field events and add more mens events
Back to the top

Indoor Track Season set to Start

Does Men's Track count as one sport in regards to Title 9? Or do they break it up into individual events?
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Does Men's Track count as one sport in regards to Title 9? Or do they break it up into individual events?

I think title 9 has to do with the number of scholarships offered for men and women. Not sure.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Title IX has three sections - and the athletics departments must meet at least one every year.

One: Providing athletic opportunities in the same ratio as male/female student body ratio (ex. FAU in 2008 had 60 percent female - 40 percent male)
Two: Demonstrate continuned expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex
Three: Full accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented sex.

Source: My brain (from classes I've taken) and Wikipedia (for the third criteria above)

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

FAU does not currently sponsor men's track and field.  We sponsor men's cross country but not track and field.  We do take some of the male cross country participants to track meets in the spring to run unattached.

We do sponser women's cross country, women's indoor track and field and women's outdoor track and field.  All three sports count seperately and the participants also count seperately even if they participate in all three.  This does help FAU's female participation numbers.

Right now FAU is meeting Title IX requirements based on prong 3 of the three prong test Smitty mentions above.  Prong 3 states you are in compliance if you accommodate the interest of your full time undergraduate population. We are effectively accommodating the interest of our student body and therefore we are not required to add additional sports for Title IX reasons.  We are in compliance.

We show that we have met the interest of the student body by the results of a survey we send via
e-mail to new, full time, undergraduate student each year as well as analyzing the participation numbers of the club and intramural sports offered on campus.

Back to the top

mdawson:

What about prong one? Football has more athletes than any other sport - but wouldn't we still be close to compliance with prong one? Or is it not as cut-and-dry as 60-percent female student body = 60-percent female student athletes?

Also – is there any talk of the NCAA counting athletics department sponsored cheer and/or dance teams to be counted as a sport for Title IX? Although, I would imagine it would be hard to govern…. theoretically, a squad could have 100 cheerleaders (to off set footballs large roster), and only take 16 to competition (much like FAU only taking a limited squad to away games or the MCBowl).

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

Hey Smitty-

It actually is as cut and dry as that.  However, FAU's undergraduate female enrollment is 58% and our female athletics participation is 44%.  Until that disparity can be fixed we have to rely on a something other than prong 1.  That is why we are doing the survey so that we can make sure we are in compliance based on prong 3.

Currently the University of Maryland is the only Division I school that I know of that counts cheerleading and dance in their participation numbers.  In order to do so the university has to sponsor their participation in competitions (not just cheering at games).  It does involve substantially more than what we have allocated for the programs at this time.

Back to the top

Thanks!

Back to the top
Control functions: