Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Winner in 100-0 girls game wants forfeit

Add topic

Samantha Peloza grabs a rebound in practice
a week after their 100-0 win.

DALLAS — A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse. Now officials from the winning school say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory. In a statement Thursday on The Covenant School's Web site, the head of school said, "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened.'' He went on to say that Covenant has made "a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss.''

Change of Heart
Back to the top

Re: Winner in 100-0 girls game wants forfeit

Official Statement:

"Statement Regarding Dallas Academy Game

1/22/2009

The Covenant School, its board and administrators, regrets the incident of January 13 and the outcome of the game with the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team. It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened.  This clearly does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community.  The school and its representatives in no way support or condone the running up of a score against any team in any sport for any reason.  The school’s board members, Head of School Kyle Queal and Athletic Director Brice Helton have acted to ensure that such an unfortunate incident can never happen again.

Covenant school officials have met with and personally apologized to Dallas Academy Headmaster Jim Richardson and Athletic Director Jeremy Civello and wish to extend their highest praise to each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner.  Accordingly, The Covenant School has contacted TAPPS and is submitting a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss.

Kyle Queal
Head of School

Todd Doshier
Board Chair "
Back to the top

Forget the 100 points. They must have played some serious defense to hold the opponent to 0.

Should they apologize for that too?

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Forget the 100 points. They must have played some serious defense to hold the opponent to 0.

GO OWLS!!!

I hope your kidding…
Back to the top

only in the PC world in which we live

terrible that they feel they need to do this

"girls: forget the hard work… you should be ashamed in yourselves that you played a very very successful game"

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

Winner in 100-0 girls game wants forfeit

HOTEL said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!

I hope your kidding…

I am against running up the score, but I am dead serious about the defense that must have been played in that game. Who holds an opponent to 0 in basketball?? I can't believe the offense was simply that bad. That is like playing a game of darts and not even hitting the board. It would take some major effort to make it happen.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

To win is one thing…to put an absolute beat down is another?

I mean, when you are up 59-0 at the half you have to put in the 2nd and 3rd teams…maybe they did?

I don't know…but i do agree with this statement by a family member of the opposition's team:

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots,'' said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off.''

Back to the top

This is a school of disabled kids they beat. Plus they pressed till they got to 100. That is weak.
Back to the top

with all due respect, i really really really disagree with that

this is SPORTS…

did Louisville "back off" when they absolutely whipped us from one side of the field to the other in 2005, when we lost 61-10?

did UNC "back off" when they absolutely destroyed 2 years ago WITHOUT carlos monroe and our FIRST GAME back with deandre rice?

come on… this is sports… those girls went out there and played to the best of their ability and that's what is always asked of coaches… to play with ANY LESS intensity than their absolute best would cheating the fundamentals of the game

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

This is everything that is wrong with sports…  The team that lost has 8 girls on the Varsity team.  Only 20 girls are enrolled in the entire school.  Where is the honor, where is the "sport"?  No excuses for bad "sportsmanship".  
Back to the top
Control functions: