Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Report: Mountain West seeks automatic BCS bid

Add topic

Report: Mountain West seeks automatic BCS bid

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3861079

The nine-team Mountain West Conference is pushing for an automatic berth into the high-stakes, big-money BCS bowl mix, USA Today has reported.

Three teams in the conference, including undefeated Utah in sixth, TCU in 11th and BYU in 16th, finished among the top 25 in the final 2008 BCS standings, and the league's schools will press for a meeting of their presidents, chancellors and Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson with Atlantic Coast commissioner and current BCS coordinator John Swofford, according to the newspaper.
"The argument I will hear back is, 'Craig, here it is. It's done. It's been agreed to. It's signed,' " Thompson said of a possible reply from the BCS regarding its legal obligations. "That doesn't mean you can't put it on the table.
"One of the options would be to visit with the BCS coordinator … just to lay out our position."
He adds: "I would not be optimistic. As I explained to them [the Mountain West presidents], it's a series of legal contracts among 11 conferences, four bowls, two TV partners with yet another TV partner coming in. I would not see much of a relaxation."
The BCS bowl games' payout for each team's school is $17 million – more than five times what teams in second-tier bowls garner.
For his part, Swofford recalled that the Mountain West was among the 11 conferences that agreed to the current model, which "incorporates the strength of a league as a whole over a series of years," the USA Today report says.
BCS' coordinator duties are rotated between the commissioners from the Big East, Big 12, and SEC. Six conferences – the Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pacific 10, SEC and ACC – name champions that automatically qualify for the BCS' five bowl games.
Utah, Swofford told USA Today, "had a terrific season this year, and the BCS provided an excellent platform to showcase their team."
According to the report, an opening exists for a non-qualifying conference to gain the automatic status temporarily based on a BCS formula that includes "the number of top 25 teams, finish of the highest-ranked team and average rank of all teams over a four-year period."
But the Mountain West will be vying for the highest level of qualifying status, USA Today reported.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Report: Mountain West seeks automatic BCS bid

yuppp... another band aid on a terrible system that needs more than reconstructive surgery... it needs the lethal injection and die a slow, miserable death

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

They're just trying to move into the big house…..the rest of us are left to keep picking cotton.

What happened to camaraderie?

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

owl09 said

yuppp… another band aid on a terrible system that needs more than reconstructive surgery… it needs the lethal injection and die a slow, miserable death

No, it needs the guillotine – quick death.
Back to the top
Control functions: