Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Will the Sun Belt have a BCS arguement next year?

OK so the title may be a bit of a stretch… But Troy's schedule sets them up for a 9-2 or 10-1 record.

The four non-conference teams they play next year are Bowling Green (they shoudl win), UAB (they should win), Arkansas (they should win) and Florida (they should lose).

So assuming they run the table in the Sun Belt (hopefully they won't because that means they beat us, but for the sake of argument… assume they do run the table…) they could be sitting at 10-1 and getting in to a "major" bowl.

p.s. Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010 is when Troy plays FAU according to their site below.
Troy's sched

Troy has taken it's thumps over the last few years and has played some "big names" in non-conference play:
2005: Mizzou and South Carolina
2006: FSU (losing by 7), Georgia Tech and Nebraska (losing 56-0 in Lincoln)
2007: Arkansas, Florida, Okie St (they won) and Georgia
2008: The Ohio State, Okie St, LSU

Am I giving them too much credit and thinking they will be better than expected next year?

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Re: Will the Sun Belt have a BCS arguement next year?

smittysahoot said

OK so the title may be a bit of a stretch… But Troy's schedule sets them up for a 9-2 or 10-1 record.

The four non-conference teams they play next year are Bowling Green (they shoudl win), UAB (they should win), Arkansas (they should win) and Florida (they should lose).

So assuming they run the table in the Sun Belt (hopefully they won't because that means they beat us, but for the sake of argument… assume they do run the table…) they could be sitting at 10-1 and getting in to a "major" bowl.

p.s. Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010 is when Troy plays FAU according to their site below.
Troy's sched

Troy has taken it's thumps over the last few years and has played some "big names" in non-conference play:

Am I giving them too much credit and thinking they will be better than expected next year?

Even at 10-1 I dont think Troy would get a BCS berth. They would have to go Undefeated and even then it might be a stretch. The SunBelt just doestn garner enough respect or have enough of a tradation to get that kind of Respect. No team here does.

Untill 2 or 3 Sunbelt teams ROUTINELY knock off BCS teams well get no respect from voters or Bowl people.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I agree that they won't make it to a BCS.

But the bigger problem for FAU, and other Sun Belt school is this:

Even if Troy doesn't run the Belt….

If FAU runs the Belt and finishes the season 9-3 with loses to South Carolina, Nebraska and one other OOC (hopefully not UAB! LOL), and Troy loses to FAU and Florida… they go 10-2…. guess who goes to the "bigger bowl game."

All the more reason why FAU should schedule a Div 1AA school for their fourth OOC game.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owlfamily said

Even at 10-1 I dont think Troy would get a BCS berth. They would have to go Undefeated and even then it might be a stretch. The SunBelt just doestn garner enough respect or have enough of a tradation to get that kind of Respect.

Or attendance. Or viewership.

It's going to be a long, long road before the Sun Belt is considered for anything BCS related.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

smittysahoot said

Troy's sched

Even at 10-1 I dont think Troy would get a BCS berth. They would have to go Undefeated and even then it might be a stretch. The SunBelt just doestn garner enough respect or have enough of a tradation to get that kind of Respect. No team here does.

Untill 2 or 3 Sunbelt teams ROUTINELY knock off BCS teams well get no respect from voters or Bowl people.

I totally agree. Mid majors (esp. SBC teams) have to go undefeated. IMO Troy will lose to Florida in Gainesville and Arkansas (they return a lot of starters + their starting QB will be 5-star Michigan transfer Ryan Mallett) will be tough to beat.
Back to the top

No chance. The SBC simply is not a strong enough conference. For comparison I go back to a 2003 and a 10-2 Northern Illinois team that beat 3 BCS teams, Maryland (top 10 at the time), Alabama at Alabama (ranked in the top 25 at the time), and Iowa State. What did NIU get?? Nothing. They didn't even get an invite to a bowl game let alone a BCS game. Any SBC would face a similar situation in making it to a BCS game.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Will the Sun Belt have a BCS arguement next year?

Nobody is getting anything.  If Troy did all that they would still go to New Orleans.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

The ONLY way I see that happening, and I'll use us as an example, would be if we won every non-con against BCS teams and won them decisively. We would also need to pretty much destroy the SBC, as well as get some help from the media as well, and we would need some other teams to not do so well for them to even consider us after all that. But hey, it could happen!…maybe,lol.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

The ONLY way I see that happening, and I'll use us as an example, would be if we won every non-con against BCS teams and won them decisively. We would also need to pretty much destroy the SBC, as well as get some help from the media as well, and we would need some other teams to not do so well for them to even consider us after all that. But hey, it could happen!…maybe,lol.

and then we get hit by a meteor!
Back to the top

Trojan2003 said

owlfamily said

smittysahoot said

Troy's sched

I totally agree. Mid majors (esp. SBC teams) have to go undefeated. IMO Troy will lose to Florida in Gainesville and Arkansas (they return a lot of starters + their starting QB will be 5-star Michigan transfer Ryan Mallett) will be tough to beat.

Unfortunately that Mallett kid is a stud and will have a hell of a career under Petrino at Arkansas…that team is on its way up.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: