Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Troy Trojan Radio and Rusty Smith

Troy Trojan Radio and Rusty Smith

Well as some of you might have known i was up in Ozark, Alabama this past week and while driving back i decided to listen to some local Sports Radio.

560am i believe, had an awesome piece on Troy and their recruiting process this year (i blieve they have 8 juco transfers coming in) and 1 solid wr from Tampa.

But what caught my ear was they were talking about the "star" system and one of the host began talking about DeFleur (sp?) of CMU saying how he wasnt a high star player and now look at him.  The other host said

"Well lets not forget about Rusty Smith from Fla Atlantic, no one expected this kid to do anything and the past two years he has been on fire, I would love to have him on my squad (Bama)" and the 1st host said "I would love to have this kid on any team in the state of Alabama, he is really fun to watch."

I personally thought this was really cool, i tried to call in but the phone screener wouldnt let me talk about FAU on the radio.
Back to the top

Re: Troy Trojan Radio and Rusty Smith?!?!?!

Nice!
Back to the top

Very Cool,

I think we'll see the end of the "stars" thing being the end all be all of recruiting success. People are starting to catch on that the stars and 'Strength" of a class dont = anymore.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

But what caught my ear was they were talking about the "star" system and one of the host began talking about DeFleur (sp?) of CMU saying how he wasnt a high star player and now look at him.  The other host said

You mean Dan Lefeveour?

Yeah stars shouldn't mean anything. How about giving out stars after they've played an entire season then rank the classes and see where everyone stands

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

yah Dan the FEVER
Back to the top

the star system is rediculous.  a player will gain or lose stars depending on which school they end up signing with.

"This is Troy's conference. We just play in it. There are some people who claim that no one can separate themselves in the SBC on talent alone. They are wrong." - CajunNation
Back to the top

Trojan said

the star system is rediculous.  a player will gain or lose stars depending on which school they end up signing with.

The guy at Rivals swears up and down that that's not the case.
Back to the top

Trojan said

Or depending on which schools they visit for that matter. A two star kid takes an official visit to Florida and suddenly he becomes a 3 or 4 star kid overnight.

It also has to do with measurables. Hypothetically speaking, a kid can be a 6-6 240 pound joke with limited ability and poor hands and he is automatically going to be a two or three star TE for example, whereas a kid who is undersized at say 6-2 205 might be a 1 star guy. If the 6-6 240 pounder visits a big-time program he shoots up to 4 stars.

Makes no sense.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Trojan said

The guy at Rivals swears up and down that that's not the case.

Here is the thing, Rivals and similar sites doesn't have time or money to actually see most of these kids play. Therefore they have to go on something other than what they observe. They often go on the amount of interest a kid is getting and not on actual talent which is why many kids have high ratings based solely on size. Schools look for kids with good size and then often start to weed out the less talented athletes sometimes after showing some initial interest. The kid says "Miami and Florida are interested" when in reality they may have sent a letter of interest simply because the kid has the size to play at a top program when he really only has the ability to play in a second or third tier conference. When it comes down to decision time and the kid only has offers for official visits from a handful of MAC and SBC schools his stars drop dramatically. It is all part of the recruiting game.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

TROY has had two players gain stars after they committed.

"This is Troy's conference. We just play in it. There are some people who claim that no one can separate themselves in the SBC on talent alone. They are wrong." - CajunNation
Back to the top
Control functions: