Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Larry Coker to coach at UTSA

Add topic

The University of Texas at San Antonio (www.utsa.edu) is starting football in 2011. They are the FAU of Texas…. same size… same commuter feel… same student apathy… same growth… the similiarities are alarming.

Currently, they are looking to hire a head coach to start their program.

WOAI in San Antonio (NBC affiliate) broke a story last night … Larry Coker reportedly has shown interest in the head coaching job.

South Floridians should know Coker well: Former head coach at U of Miami - and won a national championship with the team in the early 00s.

FAU has ties with UTSA.
- Erik Buskirk (FAU MBA graduate) was their AD for External Operations (marketing, licensing, etc.) until 2007 when he left for La Tech
- I was one of their part-time marketing assistants for six months in 2007 while looking for a full-time position.
- AJ Morato (FAU MBA graduate) currently is a marketing assistant in the department

UTSA also has examined schools like USF and FIU, but namely FAU, to model their athletics department's growth, their football program and eventually transition to 1-A (FBS).

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Re: Larry Coker to coach at UTSA?

smittysahoot said

The University of Texas at San Antonio (www.utsa.edu) is starting football in 2011. They are the FAU of Texas…. same size… same commuter feel… same student apathy… same growth… the similiarities are alarming.

Currently, they are looking to hire a head coach to start their program.

WOAI in San Antonio (NBC affiliate) broke a story last night … Larry Coker reportedly has shown interest in the head coaching job.

South Floridians should know Coker well: Former head coach at U of Miami - and won a national championship with the team in the early 00s.

FAU has ties with UTSA.
- Erik Buskirk (FAU MBA graduate) was their AD for External Operations (marketing, licensing, etc.) until 2007 when he left for La Tech
- I was one of their part-time marketing assistants for six months in 2007 while looking for a full-time position.
- AJ Morato (FAU MBA graduate) currently is a marketing assistant in the department

UTSA also has examined schools like USF and FIU, but namely FAU, to model their athletics department's growth, their football program and eventually transition to 1-A (FBS).

Sounds good. Coker is a big catch for them.

Hopefully they don't follow the FAU model of dragging their feet on a stadium  ;)

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Larry Coker to coach at UTSA

HAHA

Well, they had the city approval to receive $50 million (estimated) from a multi-million visitor tax that was voted on last year.

UTSA will receive the money to build an athletics complex, that could include a stadium. But the city will also have the right to "rent" the facility if UTSA isn't using it. It will include offices for the athletics department, softball, baseball and soccer fields and the potential football stadium.

They are not building this on campus, but rather miles away.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

HAHA

Well, they had the city approval to receive $50 million (estimated) from a multi-million visitor tax that was voted on last year.

UTSA will receive the money to build an athletics complex, that could include a stadium. But the city will also have the right to "rent" the facility if UTSA isn't using it. It will include offices for the athletics department, softball, baseball and soccer fields and the potential football stadium.

They are not building this on campus, but rather miles away.

Correct me if I am wrong, but San Antonio is a bigger market than the greater Palm Beach area right?

My point being that the market is there to sustain a football team and to fill a stadium during games and other events.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

At this point I would take a 'Boca Bowl' scenario in which we get all revenue from football games and the city can rent it out for whatever else they want….if we get a sweet visitor bed tax to put a down payment on it…that way we can argue its a quasi city owned and therefore booze can be served in moderation to me and other responsible adults who like to continue drinking during a game for maximum enthusiasm.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Larry Coker to coach UTSA program

UTSA is where FAU was in 2000. Good luck to Coker, my now fellow San Antonian

Coker to be announced Friday

Back to the top

Re: Larry Coker to coach UTSA program

Is this the school you are attending now?
Back to the top

Re: Larry Coker to coach at UTSA

No.

I work at the University of the Incarnate Word, which is starting Division II football in August. I am also a graduate student at UIW.

UTSA was my first stop when I moved to San Antonio in the summer of 2007. I worked as a marketing assistant and completed two graduate courses there, before getting the full-time gig at UIW.

Another FAU grad is also working at UTSA; and prior to the both of us, the AD for marketing was also an FAU grad.

Back to the top

Re: Larry Coker to coach UTSA program

smittysahoot said

UTSA is where FAU was in 2000. Good luck to Coker, my now fellow San Antonian

Coker to be announced Friday

Good for them. Seems like a lot of these older coaches like the challenge of starting a new program. Schnellenberger at FAU, Bill Curry at Georgia State, and now Coker as UTSA. It is the ultimate challenge and it is a nice way to cap off very good careers for all of these guys.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Re: Larry Coker to coach at UTSA

Lets just hope they dont break any of our well-guarded records.  That area is easily on par with regards to recruiting as we are.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: