Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sources: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003

Add topic

Sources: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Photo by Darren Carroll/SI

"In 2003, when he won the American League home run title and the AL Most Valuable Player award as a shortstop for the Texas Rangers, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for two anabolic steroids, four sources have independently told Sports Illustrated."

Sources tell SI Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003
Back to the top

Re: Sources: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003

Not shocking...
Back to the top

I'm a Yankees fan and this isn't a surprise. At this point in baseball I think it should be breaking news if someone DOESN'T test positive for performance enhancing drugs

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

I'm a Yankees fan and this isn't a surprise. At this point in baseball I think it should be breaking news if someone DOESN'T test positive for performance enhancing drugs

See: Michael Phelps.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

A-Rod admits, regrets use of PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs)

His voice shaking at times, Alex Rodriguez met head-on allegations that he tested positive for steroids six years ago, telling ESPN on Monday that he did take performance-enhancing drugs while playing for the Texas Rangers during a three-year period beginning in 2001.

"When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure. I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day," Rodriguez told ESPN's Peter Gammons in an interview in Miami Beach, Fla. "Back then, [baseball] was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naïve. I wanted to prove to everyone I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time.

"I did take a banned substance. For that, I'm very sorry and deeply regretful."

Rodriguez's admission comes 48 hours after Sports Illustrated reported that Rodriguez was on a list of 104 players who tested positive for banned substances in 2003, the year when Major League Baseball conducted survey tests to see if mandatory, random drug-testing was needed in the sport.

Sources who know about the testing results told SI that Rodriguez tested positive for testosterone and Primobolan, an anabolic steroid. In his ESPN interview, Rodriguez said he did not know exactly which substance or substances he had taken. In 2003, there were no penalties for a positive result.

"Overall, I felt a tremendous pressure to play, and play really well" in Texas, the New York Yankees third baseman said. "I had just signed this enormous contract I felt like I needed something, a push, without over-investigating what I was taking, to get me to the next level.

"I am sorry for my Texas years. I apologize to the fans of Texas."

Rodriguez, who joined the Yankees for the 2004 season after a trade from Texas, said "all my years in New York have been clean." He also described the recent turn of events as the biggest challenge of his life but added it felt good to be honest about what he's done in the past.

"It's been a rough 15 months here for me," Rodriguez said. "I was stupid for three years. I was very, very stupid. The more honest we can all be, the quicker we can get baseball [back] to where it needs to be."

Rodriguez said he stopped taking substances after injuring himself at spring training in 2003 with the Rangers.

"It wasn't a real dramatic day. I started experimenting with things that, today, are not legal," he said, "that today are not accepted … ever since that incident happened, I realized that I don't need any of it."

He said the culture earlier this decade of taking performance-enhancing substances was "prevalent." "There were a lot of people doing a lot of different things," Rodriguez said, noting that he wasn't specifically pointing out the Rangers.

Rodriguez said he was told by Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the MLB Players' Association, that he might, or might not, have tested positive in the 2003 survey. That conversation happened during the 2004 season. A source told ESPN on Saturday that Rodriguez knew he had failed the test.

"I had never heard anything since," he said. "Whatever I was experimenting with in Texas might have been OK."

Rodriguez also said of his 2007 interview with Katie Couric on "60 Minutes," when he denied ever using steroids, that "at the time, I wasn't being truthful with myself. How could I be truthful with Katie Couric or CBS?"

I think it was the right move for him to admit it. Do I personally believe he's clean now? As a Yankees fan… No I don't. I do however think it was the right idea for him to just come out and say yes I did, rather than be like everyone else and say nope, never did it you can't prove anything and then drag his name in the dirt more then it already is

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: